Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:32 PM   #29

To recap...

'You could tap hundreds of years of RV experience in a few days of random conversation just by asking where Folks stay'.

Hit Quartzsite, if convenient, only for Recon; not for long term Boondocking [although many do that]. Above, I recommend just a few days. Indicators, like the Tee Shirts Folks are wearing, will let you spot like-minded Enthusiasts. Chat 'em up.

My Pic above is all of ~5 miles South of Quartzsite, on Short Term BLM Land. Plenty isolated enough for this Boondocker. I could easily have gotten really 'out there' with another few Miles of driving. I was on my way to see my aging Dad, so my stop was secondary. I hung close to Town on purpose. There's Long Term BLM Land; right by Short Term BLM Land. On an Interstate Hill that crests East of Town, you'll look out over several major 'Encampments' on BLM Parcels. Pick & choose, if that suits you.

Yah, Quartzsite is nuts. And, fun. I don't stay around City Limits proper either.

The Quartzsite Website I linked is an aerial Pic of 'central', action-packed Quartzsite, and the RV Show proper. I visited in small doses, and then returned to my lovely Boondocked isolation. See it below.

Of the hundreds-of-thousands of Folks there sporadically, simple Statistics tell us there will be plenty of Jeepers and ATVers concentrated there to give sage advice when asked.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0176_jpg_1200.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	107476  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2015, 02:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
New Mexico is warm, plenty of BLM land, Caballo State Park or Percha Dam State Park is where I go, fishing/ and 4 wheeling, plenty of trails, although windy season approaches in Feb

Caballo Lake State Park, New Mexico

Percha Dam State Park New Mexico

www.olskool4x4.com

if you bring the Jeep, I would be happy to take you on a trail run, easy to extreme
Sounds like a good plan to me. Pretty soon i'm going to know more people in the States as i do here in Canada! Lol

Old 09-21-2015, 02:45 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer Guy View Post
To recap...

'You could tap hundreds of years of RV experience in a few days of random conversation just by asking where Folks stay'.

Hit Quartzsite, if convenient, only for Recon; not for long term Boondocking [although many do that]. Above, I recommend just a few days. Indicators, like the Tee Shirts Folks are wearing, will let you spot like-minded Enthusiasts. Chat 'em up.

My Pic above is all of ~5 miles South of Quartzsite, on Short Term BLM Land. Plenty isolated enough for this Boondocker. I could easily have gotten really 'out there' with another few Miles of driving. I was on my way to see my aging Dad, so my stop was secondary. I hung close to Town on purpose. There's Long Term BLM Land; right by Short Term BLM Land. On an Interstate Hill that crests East of Town, you'll look out over several major 'Encampments' on BLM Parcels. Pick & choose, if that suits you.

Yah, Quartzsite is nuts. And, fun. I don't stay around City Limits proper either.

The Quartzsite Website I linked is an aerial Pic of 'central', action-packed Quartzsite, and the RV Show proper. I visited in small doses, and then returned to my lovely Boondocked isolation. See it below.

Of the hundreds-of-thousands of Folks there sporadically, simple Statistics tell us there will be plenty of Jeepers and ATVers concentrated there to give sage advice when asked.

Good luck!
Yes i like the idea of close to town yet still "out there" any places with little creeks so i can have water for my Hot tub? Campfires permited? Places to get your own fire wood if so?

Was just out getting groceries and ran into a fellow with same truck as mine so we got bsing... Talked for 45 min and it's so chilly i could hardly feel my fingers... Got home and there's ice on my deck....Arizona will be in my thoughts tnight... Lol
Old 09-21-2015, 02:50 AM   #32

It's 1 degree C right now... That's around 34F... Please tell me it doesn't get that cold Near Parker!
Old 09-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
OK - it does not get that cold near Parker. LOL = you wanted to hear it.

We have been in Yuma for a number of years. It has been below freezing a couple times since we started wintering there. Does not last long but there has been ice on the irrigated fields and fountains in town were ice coated. By noon the ice was gone. As mentioned only happened a couple times.

There will be cool times and I imagine Parker will be slightly cooler than Yuma. Nothing that you cannot get through.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLNSMOKE
It's 1 degree C right now... That's around 34F... Please tell me it doesn't get that cold Near Parker!
The desert does get cold at night, you can expect short periods of low 30's in Jan but it's short lived like the previous poster said.

I'm in southern Utah at 8300 feet, and it's 35F right now 8:30 am. Time to head south soon!
Old 09-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #35

No question, around Parker is nice. Went there as Kids back in the Stone Age.

In your 'comprehensive' set of Boondocking Specs, I gotta throw this out there. Hopefully, some bits are helpful...

1. About everywhere I've ever Boondocked, it's either Sign-posted - or considered bad form - to harvest Firewood. Too many demands on the local Environment when 'everybody' does it. Unfortunately, that all-important aspect called 'Common Sense' seems to evade a few who collect Wood via sawing up Trees and Plants. This leads to heavy-handed Rules. I collect Wood Construction, and other Scraps.

2. Water in the arid West is spoken for in Water Law. I know it reasonably well, due to having Water Rights here on our 80 Acres. So, while you'll likely get away with pumping out a Stream for your Hot Tub, someone might bust your Chops for doing so. Poor form. It all depends on location and remoteness, I'm guessing. It's not about the Gallons or Liters pumped.

The Desert can't absorb sudden Storms. This leads to 'Flash' Floods. Recon your spot carefully, and note any dry River Beds you cross. Last Boondocking Trip out to Helen Gone Utah, around Lake Powell, someone buried their full size SUV in a Creek Bed.

North of the Grand Canyon, on the Colorado River, dried-out Wood of the type seen in this Video was OK to collect and burn.

- Distant Storm Flash Flood Video -
Old 09-21-2015, 08:11 PM   #36

Quartsite and Yuma are for old people. Thousands of Rv's packed on top of each other in the dirt. Just north of Phx is cottonwood/sedona/camp verde. Mild temps, tons of atving and exploring. I can direct you to many other options.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilleshps View Post
The desert does get cold at night, you can expect short periods of low 30's in Jan but it's short lived like the previous poster said.

I'm in southern Utah at 8300 feet, and it's 35F right now 8:30 am. Time to head south soon!
Yep or put a woodstove in your rv.. Or both!😛
Old 09-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
Quartsite and Yuma are for old people. Thousands of Rv's packed on top of each other in the dirt. Just north of Phx is cottonwood/sedona/camp verde. Mild temps, tons of atving and exploring. I can direct you to many other options.
Cool yes please do. I did look at that cottonwood area too and it looks nice.
I'm up for anywhere that isn't to crazy windy and not to cold.
It's 14C here in Alberta right now and i'm even ok with that but in 1 hr it'll prolly b snowing or raining... That gets old after a while...

Yes if there's an area you ride let me know i'd love to see pictures too.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:37 PM   #39

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
ROLLNSMOKE-

West of Phoenix by about 30 miles on I-10 is a town called Tonophah. There's a group of four-wheelers who run all winter staying at the Saddle Mountain RV resort in that town. They have an open-to-the-public group ride every Wednesday at 9:00. It leaves from the RV park- you've gotta get your ATV there to participate.

The four-wheeling crowd is mostly older folks like myself, with a few guys your age mixed in. If you go there, and behave yourself and have a fun time, you can tell them I sent ya'. ;-)

There are some opportunities to boondock on BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land north of Tonopah (towards Wickenberg), and some south of there, although I'm not sure where.

Temps in the high 70s and low 80s in February,and dry. Much different than Alberta that time of year!

Have a great trip and ride safely,
Mark
Old 09-22-2015, 11:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
ROLLNSMOKE-

West of Phoenix by about 30 miles on I-10 is a town called Tonophah. There's a group of four-wheelers who run all winter staying at the Saddle Mountain RV resort in that town. They have an open-to-the-public group ride every Wednesday at 9:00. It leaves from the RV park- you've gotta get your ATV there to participate.

The four-wheeling crowd is mostly older folks like myself, with a few guys your age mixed in. If you go there, and behave yourself and have a fun time, you can tell them I sent ya'. ;-)

There are some opportunities to boondock on BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land north of Tonopah (towards Wickenberg), and some south of there, although I'm not sure where.

Temps in the high 70s and low 80s in February,and dry. Much different than Alberta that time of year!

Have a great trip and ride safely,
Mark
Sounds good, think i should be able to behave... Lol i ride with older people often enough. Dog is always with me so i can't really go to fast anyway and i enjoy puting along. Shouldn't b a problem. Whats the temps like there in dec?
Old 09-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Check out the Imperial Dunes at Glamis. Lots of sand and the temperatures are not too bad.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #42

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLNSMOKE View Post
Sounds good, think i should be able to behave... Lol i ride with older people often enough. Dog is always with me so i can't really go to fast anyway and i enjoy puting along. Shouldn't b a problem. Whats the temps like there in dec?
I wasn't there in December. Here's a link:

Climate Tonopah - Arizona and Weather averages Tonopah

On that Web site you can look up the values for anywhere, U.S.A.

Mark

Tags
boondocking, winter