Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:26 AM   #1

Boondocking in Winter and ATV's

Hi, i'm looking to do some cheap living and playing... Somewhere near flagstaff or Phenix Az etc. I'm in Alberta Canada so that seems like the closest place to get some sunshine durning winter months. I'd really like to be in an area i can boondock while fishing mnt biking and riding a sxs or atv.
I need to keep my costs to a minimum so campsites are out and although i like meeting people i still like being out in the hard to get to spots.
It's looking like my rig'n will be a 2500 Dodge Ram Diesel and a 27-29 foot toy hauler that will b lifted for more clearance.
I don't like snakes anymore than Indiana Jones does but if have to be among them to be where the heat is so be it.
An area that has good fishing would be a bonus.
A place that is semi close to a town where i could ride my quad to get groceries fuel etc would be my dream.
I am open to other areas but would like to be as close to Alberta as possible.
It doesn't have to be crazy warm i just don't want snow and wind.

I don't mind bouncing around ever 14 days.
Definately would be nice to see people my age or youger (mid 20's 30's) that r on the road as well but i'm thinking that might be hard to come by.
I normally like treed camping spot near a water source ( for my hot tub) lol but i'd consider open spaces as long as it's not windy.

I might b asking for too much here but it never hurts to try.
P.S whats the cost of Diesel these days in Az?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 01:58 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
P.S whats the cost of Diesel these days in Az?
Take a look at Gasbuddy app and website shows $2.19 (2.90 CDN per US gallon or .766 CDN per Liter)

I recommend you take a look at an eBook called Arizona Frugal Shunpiker

Old 09-16-2015, 03:57 AM   #3

Not windy? Fogetaboutit. If you find a place where a bunch of folks 20-30 play all winter like that I want to know about it. You will be lucky if you see a snake. Dam tv shows.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:22 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLNSMOKE View Post
Hi, i'm looking to do some cheap living and playing... Somewhere near flagstaff or Phenix Az etc. I'm in Alberta Canada so that seems like the closest place to get some sunshine durning winter months. I'd really like to be in an area i can boondock while fishing mnt biking and riding a sxs or atv.
Howdy Rollnsmoke,

There are many good options available. Northern AZ and NM are very high (altitude) so can be pretty cool during the winter months. Gallup, NM has excellent MTB trails but is just too cold for me (in the winter). Tucson has some great MTB trails as well. Depending on what you are looking for (groomed trails versus jeep trails/logging roads/double-track) there is great MTB riding all over AZ. Sand is the only problem - if you have a fat tire bike, bring it. Check out the maps on MTBProject.com to locate some good riding.

Fishing is a bit harder to find but it does exist. I don't have any good info on it though, sorry.

There are a few chunks of BLM land that are noted as OHV locations. I've not been to one but apparently these are good spots to dry camp and ride ATV's. There is one near Grand Junction, CO - this site may help with OHV sites in AZ.

Boondocking sites exist all over AZ and NM. BLM and forest service land is everywhere and dispersed camping is acceptable in most places (within the existing rules). I prefer the warmest temps possible (overnight lows well above freezing) so I seek out low altitude spots. Even in southern AZ, overnight lows can drop below freezing when you are up high (e.g. 4,000' and up). Edit: low altitude, dry camping sites with tree's in AZ don't seem to be all that common.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski View Post
Not windy? Fogetaboutit. If you find a place where a bunch of folks 20-30 play all winter like that I want to know about it. You will be lucky if you see a snake. Dam tv shows.
Lol ok thanks. So it's eindy everywhere and all the time in Az?
Old 09-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Howdy Rollnsmoke,

There are many good options available. Northern AZ and NM are very high (altitude) so can be pretty cool during the winter months. Gallup, NM has excellent MTB trails but is just too cold for me (in the winter). Tucson has some great MTB trails as well. Depending on what you are looking for (groomed trails versus jeep trails/logging roads/double-track) there is great MTB riding all over AZ. Sand is the only problem - if you have a fat tire bike, bring it. Check out the maps on MTBProject.com to locate some good riding.

Fishing is a bit harder to find but it does exist. I don't have any good info on it though, sorry.

There are a few chunks of BLM land that are noted as OHV locations. I've not been to one but apparently these are good spots to dry camp and ride ATV's. There is one near Grand Junction, CO - this site may help with OHV sites in AZ.

Boondocking sites exist all over AZ and NM. BLM and forest service land is everywhere and dispersed camping is acceptable in most places (within the existing rules). I prefer the warmest temps possible (overnight lows well above freezing) so I seek out low altitude spots. Even in southern AZ, overnight lows can drop below freezing when you are up high (e.g. 4,000' and up). Edit: low altitude, dry camping sites with tree's in AZ don't seem to be all that common.
My main hobby is atving and as for types of trails i'm up for anything. I do like mbt biking too but it will b a secondary hobby. I always have the dog with me so atving works a bit better for us cause she can hop on and ride.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #7

Also I can travel a bit further if it means getting to the sunshine. With fuel at .76 cents a liter that changes the ballgame...that is cheap compated to what we're used to.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:29 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
It is chilly and wet in the winter but you might consider the sand dunes on the Oregon coast. I rode them on ATV's in my younger years and it was a blast. That was many years ago so afraid I have no idea what is available for dry camping.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:44 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I drove to the mountains every other weekend to ski with a Class C. Used plexiglass to make double pane windows, extra insulation where I could and very rarely had to put on chains. Since then and now with a Class A I use AUTOSOCKS which do not require the clearance and are very easy to install. If I have my toad I have AutoSocks for the rear wheels for braking. Enjoy all the seasons!
Where to Purchase | Autosock
Read the testing and benefits at the link.
John
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFreyja View Post
I drove to the mountains every other weekend to ski with a Class C. Used plexiglass to make double pane windows, extra insulation where I could and very rarely had to put on chains. Since then and now with a Class A I use AUTOSOCKS which do not require the clearance and are very easy to install. If I have my toad I have AutoSocks for the rear wheels for braking. Enjoy all the seasons!
Where to Purchase | Autosock
Read the testing and benefits at the link.
John

Cool i'll have to check out the Autosocks...lol love the name.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:49 PM   #11

So no place to ride ohv/atv's where it's fairly warm? I might add that warm to me is in the 60F range.. Remember i'm from Canada...it is fairly cold here a lot of the time.
High 50's to mid 60's i'd be happy with. If i can sun tan too great, i'll take that as well.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
You might like Utah or California near Bishop
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLNSMOKE View Post
So no place to ride ohv/atv's where it's fairly warm? I might add that warm to me is in the 60F range.. Remember i'm from Canada...it is fairly cold here a lot of the time.
High 50's to mid 60's i'd be happy with. If i can sun tan too great, i'll take that as well.
Rollnsmoke ; don't tag all of Canada with Alberta's weather .
Lake Havasu City area has huge areas for ATVs & boon docking, just south of town, wind can be an issue , but not quite as bad as Drumheller.
You would need to check AZ's , BLM rules to see if a permit is required.
I don't boon dock so I can't give any insight to the rules.

EDIT: You'd be right at home in Flagstaff , snow any month of the year, 6,000ft+ there. Just like Calgary.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Rollnsmoke ; don't tag all of Canada with Alberta's weather .
Lake Havasu City area has huge areas for ATVs & boon docking, just south of town, wind can be an issue , but not quite as bad as Drumheller.
You would need to check AZ's , BLM rules to see if a permit is required.
I don't boon dock so I can't give any insight to the rules.

EDIT: You'd be right at home in Flagstaff , snow any month of the year, 6,000ft+ there. Just like Calgary.

Lol yes you're right. I can drive 5 hrs into B.C and it is MUCH warmer. I was just making sure people knew i didn't need weather into the 80F's.

Ok so Flagstaff is not going to do it eh?
Well back to the drawing board i guess. Looks like i'll just need to head south some more.
I have been eyeing up places in Tucson Az as well as places near Yuma. It doesn't have to be Arizona i just figured it would be the closest to Alberta. It appears that anything near Phoenix Az should be warm enough for my liking. We have gotten snowed on here in Sept so i'm up for something better than that.
P.S i'm right close to Jasper National Park. Never been to Drumheller but i hear the old dinosaur bones etc r pretty cool to see.

Tags
boondocking, winter