Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I keep most of my parking sites a secret, for obvious reasons.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
Great idea, but someone beat you to it. Map of Free Camping Areas | Go Camping for Free! offers exactly what you're proposing.
Another great resource is the Days End Directory. My last download is a 764 page PDF file of free and low cost over night places. You must be an Escapee member to benefit from this very complete listing.

Day's End, boondocking, camping, overnight parking

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tom N, No one is twisting your arm. Thanks for coming by just long enough to contribute nothing to say you will contribute nothing. Maybe you can see your way to sharing someplace that isn't your "ultra secret none more secret under penalty of painful death" sites for someone that might need it someday? Thanks for your consideration.

gruelens, it is pretty clear that I am interested in this data source being free. While I am sure there is other value in an Escapee membership, and the list they allow you access to is part of that value, some folks can't or won't join a club, and their reasons could indeed be perfectly valid. This map I am working on is for people that don't mind sharing info. Maybe you have a site or two that you don't like that others might? Thanks for considering sharing one of those with the rest of us.

Again, there is no arm twisting here, so no need to advertise one's unwillingness to share anything, unless you think you have something to prove (hint: you don't, trust me. Really.)
Old 07-26-2015, 06:40 PM   #18

Bravo for your efforts! We just started boondocking a couple years ago and are more than happy to help! Will be sending you some locations!

Gary
Old 07-27-2015, 07:42 AM   #19

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...,11.052246&z=6

They've been there, they've done that.

There's probably a dozen more lesser sites the same also.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:34 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you want to use the map I've started, let me know and I'll send you the password to edit it. I suggest that if you don't already know how to edit a map on CalTopo, sign in work a Google or any of the other accounts used there, make a dummy practice map and play around with it. I think it's pretty easy, but I also understand YMMV.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
There's probably a dozen more lesser sites the same also.
This right here is a good example of someone that hasn't read the test of the thread before posting. Not trying to offend, only inform.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:40 AM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A more precise response:

The first link requires a membership. I do not, will not.

The second link leaves large parts of northern states unfilled. I don't know what the source of the info is, and only offers Google maps, which can be wildly inaccurate and only shows what Google wants you to see at times.

My map is on a map site that shows many different types of mapping sources and also has useful tools available like sunlight/shadow shading based on topography, slope angle shading, and the ability to use different markers for different types of locations.

And the sites I include will be free. As in no cost to camp there. Maybe a state DNR or regional USFS pass might be necessary, but not likely.

So while there is info out there, I am doing things differently.

Thanks for coming by and telling me something that seems to prove not much of anything, other than you felt you had to say it.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
This right here is a good example of someone that hasn't read the test of the thread before posting. Not trying to offend, only inform.

No, this is an example of why you're trying to reinvent the wheel.

Sites like boondockers.org have been around for many years and both have a huge database of locations but also welcome additions to the database.

Boondockers welcome does now ( it used to be free) charge a small fee, but if you had read the info you'd also know that it's a niche site, folks offering an RV space, usually with elec. and often water, sometimes dump too, generally in their driveway or yard.

$19.95 / year, how many nights do you think you need to save c/g fees on in order to get that back?
Old 07-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Some folks prefer that the info be free and available to all, just like our public lands. I'm not advertising space in someone's driveway or behind their house, even for a small fee. CalTopo offers information that the other sites don't offer.

You don't have to try it or understand it. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Some folks prefer that the info be free and available to all, just like our public lands. I'm not advertising space in someone's driveway or behind their house, even for a small fee. CalTopo offers information that the other sites don't offer.

You don't have to try it or understand it. Thanks for your input.

Yes, that's exactly why I also mentioned boondocking dot org, it's a huge database of true 'boonies' locations that's been around for years, you can add in locations you know of that aren't listed and it's completely free.

I do understand too BTW, I've been (true) boondocking for 35+ years, a lot of it by airplane in places 100's & 100's of miles from the nearest trail let alone road.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:57 AM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Boondocking.org is a different interface, and doesn't have many of the features that CalTopo has. Shade/sun exposure shading, gradient shading, more than one map source, allows browsing using map and not a list where you don't really see where the location is in relation to the "rest of the world" or your location, and Google Maps is notorious for having incorrect info once you get out in the boonies. I could go on and on.

If another site works better for you, use it. No one is twisting your arm.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I am starting a boondocking map. I will share it with folks here.

CalTopo - RV Boondocking

What I am looking for is locations where you have actually booondocked, or have actually seen yourself that would be good for boondocking, and what the regulations were, and anything else that would be important to know: dead ends with no room to turn around, places to dump black/gray water and/or refill clean water, if the road the pullout is near is busy and dusty, etc.

If there is a charge, permit, or other cost involved with staying there, let me know so I can add that to the info.

I also would prefer to not do this alone. I would like someone that has been using this forum for a while and has a respectably high post count to help me edit the map. I would be happy to give the simple instructions for how this is done to someone that wants to help others to boondock for as close to free as possible.

Thanks everybody!
I praise you for your diligent. When my DW and I go fulltime we will your top supporters. Thank you for being you.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thank you. In the meantime, I would encourage you to go use the CalTopo site to research places you might want to go, and use the various maps and features there.

For example, I used the sunlight exposure shading feature to find places in the southern california desert that would have shade from the the afternoon sun. I know there is no escape from the noon time sun, but the faster a shadow grows over the rig, the faster I can cool it down in the evening.

Tags
boondocking