Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:34 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Post Boondocking Map

I am starting a boondocking map. I will share it with folks here.

CalTopo - RV Boondocking

What I am looking for is locations where you have actually booondocked, or have actually seen yourself that would be good for boondocking, and what the regulations were, and anything else that would be important to know: dead ends with no room to turn around, places to dump black/gray water and/or refill clean water, if the road the pullout is near is busy and dusty, etc.

If there is a charge, permit, or other cost involved with staying there, let me know so I can add that to the info.

I also would prefer to not do this alone. I would like someone that has been using this forum for a while and has a respectably high post count to help me edit the map. I would be happy to give the simple instructions for how this is done to someone that wants to help others to boondock for as close to free as possible.

Thanks everybody!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #2

Great idea, but someone beat you to it. http://Freecampsites.net offers exactly what you're proposing.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No, not exactly. FreeCampsites uses only Google Maps. When you get out into the woods, Google Maps can be a very poor source of info. CalTopo has around five or six mapping sources, like USFS 2013 and USGS maps, that have more information, and sometimes more up to date than Google.

CalTopo is a better map source than Google hands down. If you go play around with it a little, you'll see. There are slope and sun exposure (date, time of day, and intensity can be shown, it's a cool tool) shading options, measurement between two points or an area, satellite tiles with topo lines, and much more. Many trails are easier to see, dirt roads on public lands, even gates. It's a better resource for getting away from civilization, or getting back.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #4

Thanks for the tip! I'll take another look at CalTopo.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great work. Looks really nice. I wish I could help plans keep us moving till the new year. Maybe then. Great stuff thanks.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:45 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very neat site. I can keep my eye out for boondocking sites within the Mid Atlantic states. I was looking at the topos within Shenandoah National Park, VA. They are old as they show about 10 back-country shelters that were torn down in the 1970's .
Old 07-23-2015, 11:36 PM   #7

Boondocking Map

So it'll be just California? The maps in Wyoming are very old.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:28 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No, not just CA. Send me places where you have been or where you know one can boondock for a few days, any regs you know of, basically any info that can help other boondockers. I'll find a way to put it on the map. Send me GPS coordinates, UTM coordinates, google maps links, etc. If I can't find it, I'll get back to you for more info.

Those that don't see decent maps for their area can try changing maps in the upper right of the window. Forest Service is their 2013 map, with maybe 2010 info, but fairly new. These are map tiles that are available for free on .gov and other servers, so don't expect yesterday's newest map now.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #9

Now I see! That is an ambitious undertaking you're...undertaking! Good luck with it and I'll look at what "treasures" I can share!
Old 07-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I guess I'm an undertaker. Someone's gotta do it.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:54 PM   #11

Ive been boondockin for the last 15 years, and the places that I frequent are off the beaten path, and sparcley used. I plan on keeping the little use aspect!

I believe that true, full time boondockers keep their parking knowledge as close as a miner keeps knowledge of profitable gold sites.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:27 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thank you for telling us that you aren't going to do something.You have made a great contribution.

Here's the thing: there is a good chance that folks didn't find their first boondocking spot all on their very own. Someone had to tell them somewhere, either an exact location or an area, where they boondocked for the first time. Also, I'll bet that almost all boondockers have had other folks stumble upon their location. And to add to that, there must be other folks that use your "secret" place when you aren't there, unless it's under feet of snow when you aren't there or there is another darned good reason for it not being hospitable.

If you don't want to share, then don't. Nobody's twisting your arm for the information. I would appreciate it if you didn't blow your own horn about all of your secret places staying secret while I'm trying to help folks, like myself, find places to park or stay a while. Where I live, there is so much space *not* being used that I would prefer folks that care about keeping where they visit just as nice as they found it coming in and making it hard for folks that would rather dump trash and leave thousands of brass cartridges and targets behind. I'm willing to share space with other folks, and I believe in doing unto others as you would have them do unto you. Isn't that one of the reasons why we use the irv2 site in the first place? I think it is.

Again, thanks for your input. I hope you might reconsider and share one place where folks can get a decent sized rig for the night or a while that you know about, but no one is forcing you to share your favorite places and "super secret none more secret" places.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Thank you for telling us that you aren't going to do something.You have made a great contribution.

Here's the thing: there is a good chance that folks didn't find their first boondocking spot all on their very own. Someone had to tell them somewhere, either an exact location or an area, where they boondocked for the first time. Also, I'll bet that almost all boondockers have had other folks stumble upon their location. And to add to that, there must be other folks that use your "secret" place when you aren't there, unless it's under feet of snow when you aren't there or there is another darned good reason for it not being hospitable.

If you don't want to share, then don't. Nobody's twisting your arm for the information. I would appreciate it if you didn't blow your own horn about all of your secret places staying secret while I'm trying to help folks, like myself, find places to park or stay a while. Where I live, there is so much space *not* being used that I would prefer folks that care about keeping where they visit just as nice as they found it coming in and making it hard for folks that would rather dump trash and leave thousands of brass cartridges and targets behind. I'm willing to share space with other folks, and I believe in doing unto others as you would have them do unto you. Isn't that one of the reasons why we use the irv2 site in the first place? I think it is.

Again, thanks for your input. I hope you might reconsider and share one place where folks can get a decent sized rig for the night or a while that you know about, but no one is forcing you to share your favorite places and "super secret none more secret" places.
+++++
Old 07-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #14

Great project. I am compiling a list for Arizona. I do not have GPS coordinates. This could take a lifetime.

mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking