Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I just left Ajo, Arizona . . . 8 miles from Why and 20 or so miles from the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. There is a boondocking site just after you pass the "Why-Not Shop" in Why headed towards the Monument on the right. There is also a huge area of BLM land in Ajo, just before you get into town if you are headed into Ajo. There's a huge white hill and you turn right after the hill, go down the road several miles until you cross over a cattle guard, then look for the signs to the Rifle Range and turn right at the sign. You will go past a picnic area, through a wash and the road turns to dirt. After that you turn right and pick your spot. Firewood was plentiful, there was no one out there except for myself and my traveling friends. The night skies were spectacular, as was the moon, the sunsets and sunrises. Total peace and quiet - no traffic, no trains, no nothing. No pass was needed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I just left Ajo, Arizona . . . 8 miles from Why and 20 or so miles from the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. There is a boondocking site just after you pass the "Why-Not Shop" in Why headed towards the Monument on the right. There is also a huge area of BLM land in Ajo, just before you get into town if you are headed into Ajo. There's a huge white hill and you turn right after the hill, go down the road several miles until you cross over a cattle guard, then look for the signs to the Rifle Range and turn right at the sign. You will go past a picnic area, through a wash and the road turns to dirt. After that you turn right and pick your spot. Firewood was plentiful, there was no one out there except for myself and my traveling friends. The night skies were spectacular, as was the moon, the sunsets and sunrises. Total peace and quiet - no traffic, no trains, no nothing. No pass was needed.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:31 AM   #3

That sounds like a good place to hang around for a couple of days.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #4

Isn't the area great! We spent some time in Ajo a few years ago, and really enjoyed the peace N quiet. There are several boondocking areas around this quiet Mexican village. Walking the plaza area, one can envision a bustling lively marketplace.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #5

Ray, Having lived in Tucson from 1969 until 2003 I can tell you that Ajo is not a "quiet Mexican village". We spent thousands of hours out west of Tucson in the Ajo area and south of there on the Cabeza Prieta game range and USAF Goldwater bombing range. Ajo actually is an old mining town for the Phelps Dodge Corp. and at one time there was a big smelter there. When they pulled up stakes the town about blew away, then some retirees found you could buy homes there for next to nothing and it was revitalized, kind of. Those days are all gone now and the area south of Ajo is quite dangerous for boondocking with Mexican drug dealers frequenting the area.

Red Boots Ranch
redboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #6

I was introduced to the Ajo area by my cousin who was a USBP agent in Why. He showed me a great boondocking area southeast of Ajo and I have camped there for the last six years.

To get there drive out of town and look for a dirt road heading south right behind the big mine-tailings hill. Drive about 1/2 mile and there is a wide spot where two roads converge. A big coral and windmill. Always one or two boondockers there this time of year.

The BP uses that road all day and all night so it is as safe as living in town... maybe even safer. Also cuz says drug traffic is never likely there becasue it is flat and open and the BP trucks are always driving through there to get to the border thirty miles away.
Staying close to town there is no more danger than most any place else south of I-8.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciesMom View Post

How much dirt road (how long) ?

Any thoughts about taking a 41 foot pusher to 'your' spot?

Thanks!