Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:33 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been boondocking in Arizona on BLM land the last few years. I was thinking of Texas this coming year. What is boondocking like on Padre Island?

1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2008, 06:33 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been boondocking in Arizona on BLM land the last few years. I was thinking of Texas this coming year. What is boondocking like on Padre Island?

1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #3

We only spent a week boondocking on Padre Island.
Windy really windy, blowing sand and salt spray. Both the sand and the air contain salt, which quickly corrodes everything metal exposed. Interior, everything stuffed becomes damp feeling if you leave windows open much.
During winter months you're fogged-in until about 10AM, driving is prohibited during dense fog.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Have to agree with RAY on this, at least in part. I own an RV lot near the Texas Gulf Coast. Were about one mile inland from the coast (ocean) itself and it's quite pleasant. Far enough inland to get away from the salt spray and sand. Lots of trees protect us from the strong coastal winds.

I've seen a few folks camped on the beach but they usually don't stay too long. Even inland things rust in this area, unlike Arizona. Before we bought this property we too boondocked on BLM in Arizona. This is the only thing I don't like about the area compared to Arizona. Otherwise there's alot more going on which gives us a lot more to do during the winter.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #5

We camphosted at Galveston Island State Park last June. Had a seaside site. In the one month that we were there the salt spray really damaged our MH. The ladder, wheel wells, any unpainted piece of metal, the Kwikee steps, & our Blue Ox tow bar all received substantial damage. This is after only one month with us washing the coach several times during the last 2 weeks after we learned of the damage being done. Our bicycles are almost unusable now also. The chain & hand brakes are frozen.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #6

I live in Corpus and we camp alot on Padre Island National Seashore. On the positive side, you can park on the beach and setup camp any were basically. Just keep in mind you will have salt air coming at you, basically give your rig a GOOD wax coating. If you think about it, its not much different than driving on salted roads up north in winter.
That said when you park your rig on the beach, park the entry side facing the dunes, out of the wind. Also you need to put a pan of water down next to entry door, that way you can wash off sand from your feet before going in. The small no see um mesh window screens does wonders for keeping sand out with windows open.
I can tell you there is nothing better than falling asleep to waves crashing on the beach.

During the winter nor any other time of yr, there is no law against driving in fog as I think was posted prior. I will warn you though if there the smallest bit of ice on the road, they will shut the road down, here.
There are plenty of RV parks around here, so you could try it for a night or 2, if no like go the the RV park.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #7

We camped at Padre Island NS 4yrs ago around this time of year and really enjoyed ourselves. Some pics of our experience can be accessed thru the link below.

We stayed for 3 nights in the Malaquite area. Windy, yes, but it sure helps keep the skeeters away. Salt and sand, yes, but for just a few nights it's not that intrusive.... or damaging.

As said above, sure is easy to drift off to sleep while listening to the sounds of the ocean. Can't wait to get back again!
Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #8

Just weeks after my previous post, we revisited PINS. It was easy to see how the hurricanes of '05 had affected the area. The dunes had receded noticeably since our '04 visit. Quite a few jellyfish washed up on the beach -- must've been the time of year.

Still, for us it's a good place to enjoy the ocean that's within a reasonable driving distance...and at only 8 bucks per night. Hoping to go again in the spring of '10.
Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:20 AM   #9

I fish that area quite alot. Here's what I know. Head to Corpus Christi, take the cross town Expressway to Padre Island. Go over the Padre Island bridge and stay to the right. The road eventually dead ends at the National Seashore Park. Go thru the ranger station gate and take your first right to Bird Island Basin. The road dead ends at a popular boat ramp and windsurfing and wadefishing spot which is located on the bay side of the island. The water is ankle to waist deep and crystal clear with various sea grasses. I've seen 40 footers boondocking right at the waters edges for days. Living on the Texas coast all of my life, I personally would not camp out on the Gulf side (the beach) where you have salt spray and sand falling on the rig. The bay side to me is much nicer and if you want to see the beach, just walk or ride your bike to the other side of the island. It's only a mile or two to the other side.

DG
Old 07-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #10

Boondocking on Padre Island

We boondocked for a few days on Padre Island last winter. It was pretty cool, I mean literally. Last winter was exceptionally cool in Texas as in the rest of the country. It is windy as mentioned. Other than that it was a good place to boondock. The national sea shore is free to camp at. As someone mentioned you do get a lot of brim (salt) covering your unit and truck. I wouldn't want to camp there for a long period without washing the unit fairly often.