Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I am heading to the east coast this spring/summer. I'm hoping that some of you great folks have done some boondocking out that way and can give me some ideas as I'm having a hard time finding any! Being in the west, you can boondock so many places - but from what I understand, boondocking sites in the east are hard to come by. I'm going to be in these areas: Northeastern Pennsylvania around the Stroudsburg area, Northwestern New Jersey around Columbia, Woodstock NY, Saugerties NY, Phoencia NY, and anywhere near New York City as my son lives in (ugh) Brooklyn. Also Gettysburg, New Jersey shore, Hershey, Boston, and Washington, DC. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

GraciesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Wow! What an adventure! Be sure and give us a running account of your experiences.

I hope to take a similar trip to hit dog shows on the East Coast in a couple years.

PS - Where are you in Arizona? I split my time between Tempe and Prescott. I'll be heading to the Valley tomorrow with the RV to park it for a couple weeks before heading to Denver for a show.

7 championship show dogs www.bauhauskennels.com
04 Winnie Vectra 40AD / 05 Jeep Rubicon TOAD / 03 BMW R1150RT
Wicked Whippets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
There's just not much boondocking on the east coast. Wal*Mart's, Flying J's, or such is about it.

Here a couple of websites for overnight parking.

Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Other than the obvious WalMart, Etc., the best thing you can do is contact each states tourist division for a full list of state parks and then travel and stay accordingly.

If you haven't already done it check out Passport America, it's a great deal, we used it extensively last year on the East Coast. After you find a place with possibilities go to www.rvparkreviews.com and cross check the location.

Happy travels.
"Home is where we park it" SEMPER FI
Winnie 30 RESS UltraLite TT 2015
Ford F250 XLT 2015
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
WW - I'm not looking forward to the humidity, but that's one part of the country that I've just driven through so I'm looking forward to sightseeing - and seeing my son . . . haven't seen him in TWO YEARS!! I'll certainly report any helpful info that I find out. Currently I'm in the Quartzite area . . . what an experience THIS has been! LOL!!
GraciesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
You can also try www.freecampgrounds.com
gherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:00 AM   #7
Check out the boat launches and Wildlife Management Areas in each state many have boondocking available.

full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
Appalachian Campers
I think Fulltimer might have the key. In the part of the country it may be hard to find a real boondock area. Further south, it gets a little easier, but still nothing like the western states.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
I'll offer this, even though it's been 8 years since we were there:
A real nice campground (wooded w/ big sites, elect & H2O available if desired) is called Rip Van Winkle Campground, between Woodstock & Saugerties. A nice day trip was to visit the lighthouse at Saugerties.

Last Brave 2004 34D
troth is offline   Reply With Quote