Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #169

I HATE BUZZ SNAKES. Having camped in the Boonies for 40+ yrs. City camping is not for me. On the side of a mountain or by a river is where you will find us. We only go to a CG with hookups once a year to Grants Pass Ore. for a family get together to ride the Jet Boats. I am a OUTDOOR person. I hunt, fish.and Prospect for Gold. They don't have hookups in those areas. To each his or her own, but City Camping(as we call it) is not for us. God I love the west. Never been east of Cody Wy. and don't have any plans to.
fishseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeachHous View Post
THATs more LIKE IT!!! There's a saying in my circle of travel buddies, if there's a metal Fire ring, a picnic table, and my dog has to be on a leash... ITS NOT FOR US!!! We do a lot of 4wheeling, whether it be with our jeep our our ATVs and getting up and away from the world is just awesome... To only see a dozen people in a week is normal for us!!
Boondocking is exactly as you say, in the Boondocks, and in order to Boondock properly you must DryCamp. But drycamping can be done anywhere... Shoot i've dry camped in my driveway for a few nights just to make sure everything in the BeachHouse worked after we purchased it...
YUP - I just have to shake my head sadly at the some who thing "Boondocking", is that overnight stay at that crude chunk of Walmart asphalt...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #171

We've had our rig for just over two years and boondocking is all we do. I've never even plugged the shore power in to a 50amp receptacle to see if everything works in that department......don't really care either but I assume it all does as I keep it plugged in to a 20amp outlet while sitting to keep the batts charged and everything stays up to snuff. We are a young Family with 2 and 4 year old little girls and an unknown baby still in the oven. Come on baby boy! I need some backup around here We got the thing to go wherever, whenever. So far, we haven't been disappointed.

We primarily do two things with the rig. Go to racetracks and visit far flung family and friends....neither of which have hookups to speak of. I haven't upgraded the self-containment items the Eagle came with....just the genny, four gigantic trojan batteries, and a weenie solar panel that wouldn't charge a cell phone. We can go for two full days in the winter without cranking the generator and use AC sparingly during the summer.......don't spend much time inside what with the kids running rabid so much of the time.

I guess I wouldn't shy away from a traditional campground if the situation demanded it but I certainly wouldn't go out of the way to find one.

2004 Country Coach Magna Chalet/ Cat C15
Samdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #172

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidger View Post
Several posts mention CG's as "nice, safe places". Being an ex-cop, I think that's a valid consideration. I do tend to think in terms of situational awareness and worst case scenarios, where people are concerned.

So, for you folks who are truly out in the boondocks in splendid isolation, are you packing heat? Yeah, there are a lot of considerations - guns are evil, illegal in places, there might be an AD, kids could get hold of it, you might get mad or drunk and shoot the wrong person (including yourself), whatever. But the nitty-gritty is, when you're out there beyond 9-11 coverage, are you good to go if Mad Max shows up?

Just curious what most of you are doing, really....

We just purchased a 1995 Dolphin and we will be taking her out for the first time over spring break. Last summer we tent camped in northern New Mexico (Red River area) and at Jack's Creek close to Santa Fe and we always had our handgun with us. It will also accompany us in the Dolphin when she's put into service. At home it's in the nightstand. I'd rather be safe than sorry and thus the handgun is a must for us.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #173

Vintage RV Owners Club
After over 170 posts on the subject of boondocking, I hope this isn't going to degenerate into a "Gun" thread.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #174

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
After over 170 posts on the subject of boondocking, I hope this isn't going to degenerate into a "Gun" thread.
And so it goes.

Here is one unarmed victim waiting for 70 years.

Please don't shoot in my direction!! I am UNARMED
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #175

National RV Owners Club
Since we are now owners of a "new to us" MH we are very excited about hitting the open road and spending some time with nature and each other. At first we will probably stay mostly in Arkansas, Colorado and New Mexico and then see where the road takes us. This thread has been invaluable regarding boondocking. Thanks everyone for your input and for helping us newbies learn the MH ropes!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #176

In my experience there are two kinds of MH owners, those who go from campground to campground, and the most important thing to them is Monday night football, and being seen around the campfire or whatever passes for that in their mind. The other kind is the type who enjoys the wonder of this great country, and the beauty that God created. This type would just as soon stay at a rest stop or a Walmart, or anywhere along the road, and is not afraid to be alone with their own thoughts.
bgc44a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgc44a View Post
In my experience there are two kinds of MH owners, those who go from campground to campground, and the most important thing to them is Monday night football, and being seen around the campfire or whatever passes for that in their mind. The other kind is the type who enjoys the wonder of this great country, and the beauty that God created. This type would just as soon stay at a rest stop or a Walmart, or anywhere along the road, and is not afraid to be alone with their own thoughts.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #178

Vintage RV Owners Club

Again with the "Walmart/rest stop parking is boondocking" presumption...it ain't!

Too bad the O.P. didn't include it as a third option, though, since it seems to be such a popular topic in this thread.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgc44a View Post
AMEN!!!
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #180

I think that first group pray at the alter of the power post (-:

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #181

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Again with the "Walmart/rest stop parking is boondocking" presumption...it ain't!

Too bad the O.P. didn't include it as a third option, though, since it seems to be such a popular topic in this thread.
How about. " RV Parkers; Campers; Boonedockers; and Wally Dockers! I do em all but very few RV Parks.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #182

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
How about. " RV Parkers; Campers; Boonedockers; and Wally Dockers! I do em all but very few RV Parks.
Hmmmm...

Since you and I are making the rules, what think you of the following:

First,the term "camping" is henceforth to be limited to those that do so in (shudder) tents and is therefore permanently banished from the RV Lexicon.

That having been settled:
I propose that there are only three ways to "RV", and they are: paidparking, freeparking, and boondocking.

The definitions thereof are to be as follows:

Paidparking is any place of abodement that charges a fee.
Freeparking is any place of abodement that does NOT charge a fee, but is on pavement, and is usually used for quick overnights.
Boondocking is any place of abodement that is
a) Out in the boonies. Duh!
and
b) In use for the purpose of being out in the boonies.

Your thoughts?

P.S.

We'll touch upon the various degrees of boondocking later...

Tags
boondocking