Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #183

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Hmmmm...

Since you and I are making the rules, what think you of the following:

First,the term "camping" is henceforth to be limited to those that do so in (shudder) tents and is therefore permanently banished from the RV Lexicon.

That having been settled:
I propose that there are only three ways to "RV", and they are: paidparking, freeparking, and boondocking.

The definitions thereof are to be as follows:

Paidparking is any place of abodement that charges a fee.
Freeparking is any place of abodement that does NOT charge a fee, but is on pavement, and is usually used for quick overnights.
Boondocking is any place of abodement that is
a) Out in the boonies. Duh!
and
b) In use for the purpose of being out in the boonies.

Your thoughts?

P.S.

We'll touch upon the various degrees of boondocking later...

I'm with you except I'd have to split "Paidparking" so it differentiates between "sardine can camping" and FS/BLM for fee sites. There is way too many differences between the two to be grouped in the same lump even though they both require the separation of money from pocket.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #184

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan

I'm with you except I'd have to split "Paidparking" so it differentiates between "sardine can camping" and FS/BLM for fee sites. There is way too many differences between the two to be grouped in the same lump even though they both require the separation of money from pocket.
Hmmm. First - Francesca - what's the penalty for using the word camping.

Second - I agree that BLM is a definite distinction of paid - almost paid boondocking in many cases. Try souther NM for example.

There may need to be levels of paid - as resorts are not always just paid parking lots - and many overnight places have all the charm of a Walmart parking lot with full hookups. Clearly you pay for them - but the experiences are vastly different. Just a thought - like the King Ranch edition or XL, XE designations of many cars.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #185

Newmar Owners Club
It is unfortunate, there are those that still think there is only one way to do something correct and that is their way. I'd be very cautious when reading posts like bgc44a's post #176. There are as many ways and reasons to enjoy RVing as there are different RVs. Stating how you do something or what you enjoy is information for this or any forum. Disparaging comments about those who enjoy RVing different than you is inappropriate.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #186

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Hmmm. First - Francesca - what's the penalty for using the word camping.
You'll be forced to endure a lecture from an English Major, subject:
"Can English survive? Of course not, and you are to blame!!!! "

As to suggestions re. subcategories:
All are being noted and will be taken under consideration for publication in the next set of rules.

Carry on!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #187

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would like to do both, I week by the river, mountain, desert, then 1 or 2 days at a campground, to dump, fill water, do laundry, and get a really good charge on my batteries. I know there are people who say they NEVER go to a campground. They break camp to go somewhere and dump, and fill water, then they go somewhere to do laundry. If you can stretch out to ten days, all the better.

I think the best answer is both, or what you enjoy most. Isn't this just supposed to be fun, and a great way to live?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #188

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We do all the of the above and then some. We are RVers. We seldom "camp" which we define as late night around a campfire whether it is so cold you need a heavy coat or so hot you are sitting in tank top and shorts, in other words "sitting around a campfire." Please note the use of the word seldom, we do that sometimes because it can be fun.

We dry camp in the desert near Imperial Dam and we stay overnight in at WalMarts. As I write we are in a KOA because we had a gathering of our clan and boys 9 to 13 find KOA a fun place to run around and let off steam. Tomorrow, with them gone, we will move on to an Escapee CG because we will be doing things that are best accomplished from that venue. We have no idea where we will land after that, but boondocking in Texas is really hard because there is so little open land (not privately owned and fenced).
Old 01-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #189

We love boondocking... for the freedom, the independence and the spectacular views...

For us, if we couldn't boondock, we wouldn't go RVing!

It is such a thrill to find a beautiful place on this country's stunning public lands to call our own for a while. We've stayed in countless spots with multi-million dollar views out our windows. What a thrill it is to look outside and see deer bounding past, to overlook a gorgeous lake, or pretty stream, or towering mountains...

Boondocking makes our travels exciting, unpredictable and totally fun!
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #190

I grew up playing/camping all over the Deserts of So Cal and learned how camp that way . It's real easy to learn to Boondock when there isn't any services for miles and miles. I've taken that knowledge and have been a Motorhome owner now over 30+ years. I love camping without hooks ups , more space, better views, wildlife ,cheaper etc and the power never goes out, the water never leaks...
Old 01-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #191

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Hmmmm...

Since you and I are making the rules, what think you of the following:

First,the term "camping" is henceforth to be limited to those that do so in (shudder) tents and is therefore permanently banished from the RV Lexicon.

That having been settled:
I propose that there are only three ways to "RV", and they are: paidparking, freeparking, and boondocking.

The definitions thereof are to be as follows:

Paidparking is any place of abodement that charges a fee.
Freeparking is any place of abodement that does NOT charge a fee, but is on pavement, and is usually used for quick overnights.
Boondocking is any place of abodement that is
a) Out in the boonies. Duh!
and
b) In use for the purpose of being out in the boonies.

Your thoughts?

P.S.

We'll touch upon the various degrees of boondocking later...
I go along with a "Paid Parking, Free Parking and Boonedocking"
Now , let's move right along to the various degrees of boondocking.

Delores River Docking

Lost and about to get stuck docking

Snow Docking

And the only docking that is no fun

but we fixed that
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #192

And how about two forms of boon docking: with generator and without?

We prefer the quiet life. Just say solar baby!

We were in Quartzsite today. Things are revving up. Rocks this week and RVs in a couple. All of you that get to go, have a blast. The weather here is about perfect.

K
kellylipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgc44a View Post
In my experience there are two kinds of MH owners, those who go from campground to campground, and the most important thing to them is Monday night football, and being seen around the campfire or whatever passes for that in their mind. The other kind is the type who enjoys the wonder of this great country, and the beauty that God created. This type would just as soon stay at a rest stop or a Walmart, or anywhere along the road, and is not afraid to be alone with their own thoughts.
Well, please color us happy.

Happy to go from fine campground to fine campground until we reach our selected RV resort.

The security (and sound sleep, far from door bangers and horn honkers at store lots and such; been there-done that) and the amenities (that do not require the cash for battery banks, solar panels, hi-end inverter/converters, water bladders, going somewhere to dump and get water, et al) gives us piece of mind and provides plenty of fun!
We get dirty and see stuff the tourists cant dream of when we go off-road.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #194

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
I go along with a "Paid Parking, Free Parking and Boonedocking"
Now , let's move right along to the various degrees of boondocking.
Hmmm....impressive...and yet...I wonder if yours is the purest form of boondocking, that is, "the way I do it": also known as "the only right way".

We'll delve deeper:

Can you stay "out in the boonies" for at least a week without generating more electricity than you brought stored in your batteries?

Also:

How long is it possible for members of your party to go without a "real" shower before mutiny breaks out?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #195
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We seem to be straying in some cases from the intent of the original post
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #196

Quote:
Hmmm....impressive...and yet...I wonder if yours is the purest form of boondocking, that is, "the way I do it": also known as "the only right way".

We'll delve deeper:

Can you stay "out in the boonies" for at least a week without generating more electricity than you brought stored in your batteries?

Also:

How long is it possible for members of your party to go without a "real" shower before mutiny breaks out?
Francesca, you are a pip. And I mean that as a compliment!

"Boonies" like to be out and totally away. And that's fine!
But they do it with solar and gen power and such, so they are "away" and yet not totally. They have a cagillion bucks in all of the technology to not only be out there, but to not miss a football game and play video games, etc.
So, all of the comforts of home, but at a price. That's all! Easy peasy.
But you really LOLed my on the "real shower mutiny" bit. Yeah, how long before before they are too gamey for each other or the local critters?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking