Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #197

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We'll delve deeper:

Can you stay "out in the boonies" for at least a week without generating more electricity than you brought stored in your batteries?

Not a chance, but I have two generators to recharge the batteries.

How long is it possible for members of your party to go without a "real" shower before mutiny breaks out?

I'm the worst one for that, I need water to rejuvenate me but 70 gal. can last for a while if it's just the 2 of us. We don't stay at one place too long , at least not yet.

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #198

Two generators? That's just not right! That said: more power to you (seriously, no pun intended). But if you are next to us is the boonies we will string some wire between us and you can share out solar power. We got amps running off the roof!

kellylipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #199

Vintage RV Owners Club
Now, you see, here's where we get to something I just don't get- that whole electricity thing. There's light in the boondocks I go to, at least for the part of the day when I'm awake...isn't that true everywhere???

What's all the electricity for, anyway???
Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #200

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Now, you see, here's where we get to something I just don't get- that whole electricity thing. There's light in the boondocks I go to, at least for the part of the day when I'm awake...isn't that true everywhere???

What's all the electricity for, anyway???
Stuff people do in the dark. Watch tv, use a light for reading, surf the net on a computer, listen to the radio, stay warm if it is cold, run the refrigerator.......
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #201

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Stuff people do in the dark. Watch tv, use a light for reading, surf the net on a computer, listen to the radio, stay warm if it is cold, run the refrigerator.......
But...why go to the boondocks if you're going to do the same things you do at home?

Where, I might add, it's a lot more comfortable.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #202

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What if the RV IS YOUR HOME?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #203

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
I don't mind spending a night or two at Walmart while traveling but this practice has nothing to do with boondocking , parking by a nice lake or river for a few days camping in the desert for a week without any services now thats my kind of life
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #204

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
What if the RV IS YOUR HOME?
Well, that's a horse of a different color!

Carry on...
Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #205

Tiffin Owners Club
I sure have gotten a chuckle or two out of the posts on this subject

I just couldn't resist putting my little bit in too. I've done it all; paid, un-paid, back yard, Wally-World, rest stops, back of gas stations, curbside, clubs, so forth and so on. When I need to stop I find a spot, not fond of paying for a few hours to park so as long as I'm safe and legal it is okay with me. I actually like being at truck stops.
Once I get were I'm going I prefer to have some separation from other rigs. Why? I don't like a lot of rules, and I don't want to know intimate details of other people's lives and if you're to close you hear stuff and see stuff that I don't want to know. I also don't like it when people cut through your space or stand beside your rig late at night and have loud conversations or even yell at each other!

I have solar and I can last two weeks in the boonies easy or if careful three weeks then it is time to dump tanks and get fresh veggies, do laundry, etc. I enjoy other RV'rs company from time to time just don't want to get that crowded feeling. A campfire with amiable folks is enjoyable once in a while. "Everything in moderation".
Old 01-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #206

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We do it all. There is no wrong or right way.

Tourist: do the CG
Weekend Getaway: we have (own) our permanent site in a private CG. Only see people if we want to. Some of the lots are on top of each other and others like ours is surrounded by trees.
Meandering: we look for CG on secondary roads that are scenic by-ways. They may only have water and electric and the sites are grass.
Military Bases (a privilege): can be a mixture of boondocking to full-service.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #207

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I got in enough trouble with the WM thread so I'll stay out of this one too!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #208

Rexhall Owners Group
Each to his/her own. I feel it depends on your needs at that particular time. We live in California and when camping inland in summer having power is a must to run the AC units as I don't want to run the generator 24 hours a day. We have not had the chance to boondock yet but intend to do so when the opportunity arises. I, like a lot other people here enjoy the solitude and not having to have my dogs on a leash at all times. I can see the advantages of both. Again I think it comes down to what work for you.

Matin
Old 01-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I got in enough trouble with the WM thread so I'll stay out of this one too!
TOO LATE!

YUP - if Walmart ever shuts down, we'll loose over half of our "RV boondocking" community!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #210

My wife and I spent 5 years full time on the road in my home country of New Zealand.
We boondocked 99% of the time, occasionaly we might go to a GC if I needed lots of power to carry some maintenence.
We didnt have a gen set, we had plenty of Solar which is far more common in MH circles in NZ, than what it is here in the US and it also appears to be cheaper to set up, which is a bit of a surprise.

Boondocking what we in NZ call "Freecamping" is very very easy to do in NZ with lots of beachside stop overs right on the ocean door.
Almost without exception golf courses allow you to stop over and we have thousands of those.
If you belong to the NZMCA "New Zealand Motor Caravan association" they have a net work of "POP" stops across the country.
Feel free to vist the NZMCA website www.nzmca.org.nz lots of fun info.
The POP's are normally another members property or farm where you can stop over for up to 3 nights.
They may also be any property or land that someone has made available to the POP system operated by the NZMCA club.
Or you can just do your own thing, which is what we did most of the time, we soon located our favorite beach of forest locations as we moved around the country.

We also enjoyed spending time on big dairy farms, where you could get permission to park in some remote corner of the farm near a river or creek.
I would often pick up work with the farmer fixing gear or helping out around the farm, milking, mending fences, feeding stock or what ever.

It seems more folks are becoming interested in Boondocking here, its a great way to go, you just have to be prepared and self reliant.
You very quickly work out what works and what does not, how to conserve water, power and minimize rubbish.
We always used the pack in pack out rule and often left a site cleaner than when we had found it.

Its not for everybody, but if you an independent or adventurous sort and have not tried boondocking, I would encourage you to do so.

Happy travels
Rusty

honkytonkinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking