Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #225

You will not find a limit of 30' in all National parks but most National Parks were built long ago before motorhomes got longer so the longer you are the harder it will be to find a spot. It will be hard or maybe impossible to find a washer/drier in a 33' coach and it will also be hard to find many diesel 33' coaches. Our last coach was a 31'Gulfstream Sun Voyager Diesel Pusher so they are around. It was a '99. No slides and no W/D. We now have 3 slides, W/D in a 40' coach and would never go back to smaller.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #226

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraine-Paul View Post
We will be boondocking for the first time, since going full-time, this winter and plan to start at the Imperial Dam LTVA near Yuma. Does anyone have any good tips for newbie's? Also, if anyone has been in that area, can you recommend a cell phone provider that might work in the area. We plan to by a burner while down there in case of emergencies back home in Alberta
We spend about 6 weeks at Imperial Dam. The only cell phone service that works reliably is Verizon.

Imperial Dam LTVA map

There is a Christian Service Center adjacent to Ocotillo Flats that was established 40 years ago to service campers at Imperial Dam. You can pick up your mail there, get UPS and FedEx, propane and drinking water.

There are four dump site lanes and several water hydrants. There are hot showers at Squaw Lake, $1.50 for six minutes.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #227

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraine-Paul View Post
We will be boondocking for the first time, since going full-time, this winter and plan to start at the Imperial Dam LTVA near Yuma. Does anyone have any good tips for newbie's? Also, if anyone has been in that area, can you recommend a cell phone provider that might work in the area. We plan to by a burner while down there in case of emergencies back home in Alberta
First determine how long you plan to be there. If two weeks or less, plan on getting an STVA Pass, $75 last year, you can only stay in STVA 2 weeks then must move 25 miles away for two weeks before you can return. We use that approach and stay on the shore of Senator Wash. From 95 between Yuma and Q turn in between the big guns at the entrance to Yuma Proving Ground (YPG) continue through the Proving Ground across the Colorado to Senator Wash Road turn right and continue past the Christian Service Center to the Y at Mesa. L there then right down the very steep ramp to the Lake shore. Park above the line of stones that demarks the high water line. Look for the Phaeton with TX plates and a Red Jeep Rubicon and come say hi. We should be getting there 2/22 or so.

Verizon is it. Come in with full water and empty holding tanks. Once you have your permit you have access to the dump and freshwater fill.

For longer stays see the host for LTVA pass something like $175 for the year. Go find a piece of desert and hang out. We haven't done that ourselves so no further advice. Come down to the Wash to look for us between 2/22 and 3/4 or so.
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #228

Ford Super Duty Owner
The LTVA pass is $40 for two weeks or $180 for the whole season. In the dispersed camping areas you can stay for 14 days and then must move 25 miles. You don't have access to dump, water or trash disposal, but it costs nothing. There is also Mitry Lake about 6 miles south of Imperial Dam. You are limited to 10 days per year, but it is free. It is a wild life management area.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #229

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unless they have changed the rules in the past year there is a STVA permit for several areas that c does provide access to sanitary dump and water. The STVA areas may be preferred depending on your interests.
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:57 AM   #230

Monaco Owners Club
Been following most threads here.

We have a 45 ft coach and toad and generally stay in campgrounds with full hook ups. We are certainly not adverse to boon docking and have stayed once in Walmart and once in Cracker Barrel ( a little worried about security)
We have 1 week planned at Mammoth mountain toward the end of April for skiing on our way back to Dallas. Due to an injury I just received skiing is over for atleast 6-12 months
Can anyone suggest a boon docking paradise in that general area heading east that will ease my terrible pain of not being able to ski ( just ruptured Quad tendon in a car park in Innsbruck ( not skiing, only carrying skis, but catching a bus)
I'm thinking fishing, nature, red wine, sunrises and sunsets
Old 02-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #231

Boondocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeachHous View Post
Ive been RVing my entire life, and just in the past 6 years have we found the love that is our ATVs... Its so nice to camp in the middle of no where, ride for days in such beauty and peace and quiet... Its AWEsome!!!
BeachHouse, Stumbled across your post regarding Boondocking. Where can I find Intel on places to Boondock and not get "BOTHERED" by the Law. Back on the east coast that is damn near impossible. Thanks, Dave
pdidonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #232

Vintage RV Owners Club
Best way to avoid getting "bothered by the law" is to boondock where it's legal, which is what we're talkin' about here.

Most of us boondock on Public Lands, and check with the Agency that has jurisdiction over said lands. If private property, permission is sought from the owner.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #233

Boondocking

[QUOTE=Francesca;1471228]Best way to avoid getting "bothered by the law" is to boondock where it's legal, which is what we're talkin' about here.

Francesca, I would not think of camping on "Private Property". BUT where I'm from, the cops seem to overstep there bounds. I've never camped/Boondocked anywhere in the west part of the USA, and always legally in the east.We are very excited about the possibility of Boondocking and were just wondering where I could find some INTEL on where to "Boondock" in a legal spot. This way if a Law Enforcement official were to poke around looking to issue a summons, I would be "Good 2 Go". Maybe "Cops" and "Paid Firemen" just never mix!
pdidonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #234

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=pdidonato;1472946]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Best way to avoid getting "bothered by the law" is to boondock where it's legal, which is what we're talkin' about here.

Francesca, I would not think of camping on "Private Property". BUT where I'm from, the cops seem to overstep there bounds. I've never camped/Boondocked anywhere in the west part of the USA, and always legally in the east.We are very excited about the possibility of Boondocking and were just wondering where I could find some INTEL on where to "Boondock" in a legal spot. This way if a Law Enforcement official were to poke around looking to issue a summons, I would be "Good 2 Go". Maybe "Cops" and "Paid Firemen" just never mix!
There is a web site called ALLSTAYS, they also have an app for your phone. They list all BLM lands and any kind of boondocking or campgrounds you may want. I agree with you that some of the LEO's get to feeling their oats on occasion.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #235

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=Chuck 1935;1472988]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdidonato View Post

There is a web site called ALLSTAYS, they also have an app for your phone. They list all BLM lands and any kind of boondocking or campgrounds you may want. I agree with you that some of the LEO's get to feeling their oats on occasion.
What Chuck said, plus if you have an iPhone or iPad there are a few decent apps available, do a search for "Boondocking" at the Apple app store.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #236

Boondocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1956 View Post
We boondock in National Parks and National Forest as much as possible. In between, we try to stop only at State Parks.
Dave....I saw from your data that you have a Newmar 34' as do we. We also use USFS-BLM open land as first choice. We have a home in AZ and ranch up in OR but only check in on the ranch to make sure it's still working. The rest of the time we boondock in Eastern and central OR....Have you ever been along the mid-fork of the John Day River?
Toussaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvreloader View Post
50 yrs + of boondocking, never have been in camp ground 1 time.
That is the only way to live, when the road stops, you'll find a camp spot.
Don
I like that, that's what we plan to do.
Ursu din Bv. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #238
KIX

Any boondock opportuities between Yuma and Las Vegas for a 40 footer?
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking