Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #239

Send a message via Yahoo to JayLodge
A reply to WeakSignal about wanting to UP size.
Last year we downsized from a 40' DP to a 25' Navion. Still having to make adjustments but the actual driving is such a relief. We also had 4 jacks put on it by Bigfoot, White Pigeon, Michigan. Went from 7.5 mpg to 16 mpg. That's nice too. Don't be too quick to go big!

JayLodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #240

North of Needles CA is an infamous RR Crossing with no grade overpass.....BIG NASTY BUMP so cross at 5mph....about three miles north of that and on the left or west side of the highway is the old US66 grade and a big paved gravel pit....lots of overnighters stay there and the local police park there at the turn off to run radar on the south bound traffic. North of LV are two other good spots if you need them

Old 03-31-2013, 05:17 AM   #241

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We boondock about half the time. sometimes more if there are no membership parks for our discounts. We usually boondock in cities because that's where we want to be. We visit Capitol buildings, museums, coffee shops, sushi bars, theaters, downtowns (great for walking) and any place where special events are happening. We also boondock in the "middle of nowhere" at vineyards and farms. We like to use "Harvest Hosts" to find those places.

Basically we look for places we want to visit THEN look for Membership Parks THEN look for boondocking nearby THEN look for full price campgrounds. all in that order. Occasionally we go to full price campgrounds to meet with friends rving so we can be together and for Rallies which are usually in campgrounds. In a couple weeks it will be time for SKP ACRES in Marion, NC. One of our favorite regional Escapees Rallies.

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:04 AM   #242

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Any boondock opportuities between Yuma and Las Vegas for a 40 footer?
There are lots of places. Try Quartzsite.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #243

Tiffin Owners Club
When we were coming back from Balloon Fiesta last fall and I decided to take a nap (after all I'd been driving for 110 miles), we pulled into Vaughan NM. One campground was on a meadow at $20.00, no trees, no laundry, no anything. Passing that up, we saw a church parking lot, stopped and ask the Sister if we could overnight. She said that she would call the county sheriff and let him know it was OK. After our nap we put out the chairs and enjoyed NM splendor until suppertime. We never saw the cops but, we did hear a car go through the parking lot during the night. There was a motel across the street and after asking them, they gave us the code to their WiFi so we could check our credit union balance.

We would never drop our jacks in a lot like this one so we just put one wheel up on a board. We carry boards just for occasions like this. I don't want anyone to complain about our use of their parking lot after we leave. We call this semi-boondocking and we do a lot of it. On this trip we also stayed in front of a county courthouse, on a Dollar General parking lot, and next to a firestation. We also like BLMs and National and State parks. When we are going to a museum, quite often we'll get there just before closing so we can get permission to spend the night on their parking lot, and then go in right after breakfast, which is always after 10 o'clock. We have yet for a museum to tell us no. A CG is rare for us unless their's no place else to dump and refill our tanks. Since we're retired and have no schedule, we do laundry at a laundramat on the way, that's about every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks, lotsa storage space in a 34' for clothes for two people.

When we attend an event like Balloon Fiesta then we will get into a CG.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #244

Newmar Owners Club
If I am going camping, I tend to go somewhere that hookups are not remotely a possibility, such as NF, BLM, etc. If I am going somewhere to check out the area and spend a lot of time driving around or attending a specific function, then I prefer hookups.

This is my style of boonedocking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0260.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	38553  
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuge View Post

Search on here for "Solar that really works"!! From what I've read a lot of solar installers are more concerned with selling you more components than making it work right the first time!!
A good source of info is: http://www.amsolar.com/

They don't cut corners. Top quality info and top quality service/products.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #246

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OldRXRer: I second the AM Solar

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #247

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Where is skp acres--we stay at Buck Creek in Marion--Vince
Old 05-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #248

And before buying any solar from anyone educate yourself. Best place to start is by googling HandyBob. He can be a bit windy but you will learn what to do and most importantly what not to do. Another resource is the Arizona Wind and Sun forums.

Finally, my shameless plug though I don't sell anything:

Kelly's RV Solar Blog | All the Electricity we need and then some!
kellylipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #249

We enjoy the many different campgrounds we have visited. Some are primitive and some are fancy, but all have some things to offer. Yes, I don't like being able to look directly into our neighbor's RV window, but most parks we visit are not that bad.

Having said all that, we are planning to outfit a new DP for retirement fulltiming with a bunch of solar panels/inverter/big battery bank, so we can boondock whenever we want to, and for as long as we want to. We'll also have water hauling capability on the towed vehicle.

Anyway, variety is the spice of life, and if we're ever in a spot we don't like, there will be a key in my pocket that will set us free!

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #250

We agree with everything you said. Happy travels!
montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #251

With regard to campgrounds we look for the USFS and BLM campgrounds without electrical hookups and with fewer than 50 campsites (many have as few as 15 for "RV's"), and preferably smaller spaces where large MH and trailers will not fit. With mostly tent campers it is a heck of a lot quieter and without loud music and noisy generators.

Our limit for being in the boonies is the capacity of our gray water tank. With our solar we have enough juice to last forever and our propane will last a couple months before refilling the two tanks.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Rob View Post

A good source of info is: http://www.amsolar.com/

They don't cut corners. Top quality info and top quality service/products.
Got a call this morning from AM Solar asking about my solar. They were about to work on another Winnebago with a household refrigerator and wanted to know my experience on same. Sorry, Norcold... Anyway, we spoke for a few and told him (Roy) that I was extremely pleased with my solar. I suggested he would want to point out the electrical savings of LED lighting. I think he already had that in mind. To the best of my knowledge, AM Solar does not sell LED lights. M4Products does (shameless plug). Anyway, the idea is to get more time in the forest and not necessarily in the dark. Although dark is good... Sometimes. Solar panels, AGM batteries and LED lights are the way to have more time for the microwave! I sometimes get distracted and my coffee gets cool before I finish it. ZAP it in the zapper. Decadent, just decadent.

Tags
boondocking