Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #43

boondocking aka freecamping

We just spent a month touring around the upper part of Western Australia.
3 nights in campgrounds/caravan parks, the rest freecamping. Only reason was to do washing
LOVE it!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Please, can some of you NFS and BLM boondockers share some ideas on how to find places to park. I have tried navigating their websites and just get more confused. I don't want campgrounds, just a legal place to spend a few days of quiet before moving on.
There's loads of places for "overnight parking", which may or may not be NFS or BLM. Don't know if you were looking for the former or the latter, but I'll give some ideas on both.

For "overnight parking" you can check out Walmart's, or Flying J's or lots of additional spots on websites such as overnightrvparking.com or freecampgrounds.com. You can also look at joining the Escapees Day's End Directory (lots of additional spots here). In fact just so happens I wrote about free overnight parking on my blog just a few days back.

If you're specifically looking to get out "in nature" at a BLM or NFS site then your best bet is to visit or call the local BLM or NFS site and ask them about camping locations. At least that's the easiest route I've found especially if you're not familiar with the area. Usually the local offices are pretty helpful especially if you can talk to the ranger. They'll be able to tell you about the local road conditions too (very useful if you're driving on a non-paved road).

Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #45

Boondocking ! We are currently sitting 20' from the Atlantic Ocean surf
Old 08-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDNYdave View Post
Boondocking ! We are currently sitting 20' from the Atlantic Ocean surf
Cool!

Where is that?
Can you drive on the beach?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Cool!

Where is that?
Can you drive on the beach?
On Long Island in NY there is County permit for day use/ fishing 4x4 access and a State permit for fishing 4x4 beach access
Old 08-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I always prefer boondocking and even Walmart to most campgrounds. I also can't understand paying more per night than my house costs to be crowded in with about 20 others in the same space as my yard at home. I did enjoy campgrounds in Europe, where they try to make spaces private with hedges and trees to separate.

ditto for me
Old 08-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Here's my "campground" from last weekend. Also a pic of my buddy and his son from our ride up to an old lookout tower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010471 (Medium).JPG
Views:	497
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	13192   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010483 (Medium).JPG
Views:	469
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	13193  

Old 11-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That sounds like HEAVEN - Minus the cats... I'm a dog guy!!! But Other than that... HEAVEN!!!
TheBeachHous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeachHous View Post
That sounds like HEAVEN - Minus the cats... I'm a dog guy!!! But Other than that... HEAVEN!!!
We have dogs...cats inside a motorhome would be death by sneezing for me! LOL
Old 11-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would boondock in the forests at least 14 out of every 15 days. I hate the gravel RV gettos because it is as bad as apartment living. Dispersed camping in USFS or BLM lands is the best. I like the quiet and time to read books instead of only surfing the Internet and computer mags while at home in the subburbs.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMXDave View Post
Here's my "campground" from last weekend. Also a pic of my buddy and his son from our ride up to an old lookout tower.
That looks like us almost every weekend last summer... In my family we have a rule... If the Dog has to be on a leash, and there is a 'designated precast' fire pit... thats no place for us... Open land where we can ride in and ride out and be as far away from the world as possible... We've been atv'ing for about 3 years now, used to own a boat, and still can't get over the amazing-ness of being able to get away from it all and play!!! Awesome stuff!!!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
I would boondock in the forests at least 14 out of every 15 days. I hate the gravel RV gettos because it is as bad as apartment living. Dispersed camping in USFS or BLM lands is the best. I like the quiet and time to read books instead of only surfing the Internet and computer mags while at home in the subburbs.
That is my idea of WONDERFUL!!!! Every morning i drive past an RV park that has to have at least 150 full time live in guests, and about 10 spots for people just stopping by... When we got our new (to us) SeaView we went in there to plug it in to 50 amp service just to make sure everything worked, and thats exactly what i called the place... an RV Ghetto!!!
Some of the rigs in there cost more than my house, or any house i'll ever own, and yet they are parked next to the family of 9 in a 22ft 1976 5th wheel and think they need 5 dogs...
No RV parks for me, unless its absolutly 100% no other option, needed...
Old 11-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #55

We've been on the road for 10 years and have not spent a single night in a caravan park in the last 9.5 of those years.

We can last for about 2 months with no water input, longer for food and indefinitely for power.

So I guess boondocking (aka "bush/free camping" in Australia) gets my vote.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodancer View Post
Guess I'm the first to disagree. Maybe it's because I camp solo much of the time but I really enjoy a nice campground with lots of activitys. This past weekend I got a no extra charge pancake breakfast, swam in the pool, visited with other dog lovers at the on site dog park, shopped in a great gift shop and made smores in my fire pit. Nothing against boondocking but if I have a choice, a well run campground with wooded sites would be my first choice.
X2

donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking