Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #57

We've been Boondocking the west for over 30 years. Here's our "weekend rig" in NW Colorado. Most anywhere in the mountain west and desert southwest where you can acccess NFS or BLM land boondocking is great and you can find accessable locations like this one, often even in "big rigs". Stargazing is at its best, wildlife abounds, and the solitude is unbeatable. Campgrounds are for dumping holding tanks, topping off the water tanks, and washing clothes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elk Scouting Camp_Unit 201.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	518.9 KB
ID:	15579  

'99 Diplomat 38A- "High Plains Drifter"
'02 Wrangler Tender
dwkerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #58
Commercial Member
Monaco Owners Club
We boondock almost exclusively... really struggle mentally if we have to use a commercial campground! A new concept just got promoted in several magazines. Called Harvest Hosts. For a $30 yearly fee, you can stay FREE in member Wineries and Farms. An awesome idea!! Check them out!!

Bernie, Karen & Digbe http://www.RV-Insight.com
Full Timers - SD Tags - Today - North Central USA
2000 Monaco Windsor 38' Diesel Pusher w/250 Scoot
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #59
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I recently discovered that you can boondock in any national forest just by driving at least 1/4 mile from a hwy. At the Grand Canyon, I could pay $18 to park for the night in their campground (no hook-ups) or drive another 2 1/4 miles and park free in peace and quiet.
Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #60
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We mix it up. Prefer to boondock when possible, but will stay in campgrounds/RV parks when conditions call for it. Visiting children in Los Angeles there is no place to boondock legally. We have stayed at Elks in Burbank, it is not a cg but certainly not like Senator Wash or Qztite. We also stay in the Anza Borrego desert when we can. In the northeast it is more difficult to find places that are pretty and open to boondocking.

O/N in Walmart is common for us as is anything else free when we are rolling. We have solar - some and a limited battery pack but we are energy sippers, TV is not interesting but computers are the big draw. As a CPAP user I need to save the power for that - run it on 12 volt to avoid the waste and noise of running an inverter. (that is a requirement when I change units.)

When we do go into RV parks we avoid "family friendly" like a plague. We do use Passport America and any gov't park in preference to commercial (except in CA where state parks are now more than commercials).

Free is best, cheap is next best, discounted is ok, full price is a horror! Having said that we are staying full price in a family friendly cg this weekend as we are taking our grandson to Williamsburg VA for a treat for him and for us (he is 2nd of 5 grandsons).
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Read my blog at http://xctraveler.blogspot.com/ AKA RVM86
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #61
Ford Super Duty Owner
I alway prefer dry camping compared to parks.My girlfriends liked more of a State park feel with a toilet and shower.The reason I go camping is to get away from the world and connect to Nature.It`s easy to camp anywhere in a little VW. I can`t wait to try it in a full trailer when I go ful-time next year.Camp site rates are high and I will need to watch my money.I am hoping to find work and boondock at the same time.Working through issues about mailing addresses,mail , being a rubber tramp,hitches ,5er vs TT.and laundry. Boy I am glad I found tis site,I going be asking sooo many questions.
2011 F-250 SW Still looking for the right rig ,with help. Thanks irv2.com
Red man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #62
We dry camp almost always. Didn't get the RV to be pacifying CG owners and their rules. If in hot climates (Which we try to avoid by cooler climates in summer) then we go to cg and pay for energy. Sitting next door to a metal wall of another camper isn't camping. It's existing with what you should be avoiding while "getting away from it all". Free first, low fee 2nd. Yep, WalMart lots too. Its on the way so we use them.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #63

Anybody care to make public the best places they have boondocked,,we won't tell anybody,,
ernsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #64
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by ernsue
Anybody care to make public the best places they have boondocked,,we won't tell anybody,,
Happy to. All mine are posted on the blog in the boondocking section

Will you share yours?
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #65
I have only boondocked a couple times and for a very short time. I am going on a longer trip this spring and will stay in some campgrounds, but I know i will be boondocking also. I do not know much about long travels, so i am very nervous of i dont know...everything, every noise, every animal..LOL. I suppose you might think "then why are you going"? Because i need too, its a long time dream. And i might just fall in love with it I have Solor panels on my roof but i dont know yet how to operate them So I will keep you posted this summer and let you know if i prefer boondocking over campgrounds.
CorLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #66
Nor'easters Club
Wow, what a great topic!
I am a dyed-in-the-wool boondocker. I will admit, that a lot of my dry camping is locating a pace for the night on my way someplace or back. To me, that's the luxury of having all my "stuff" with me. I can be happy anywhere. Though not in a crowded campground. Seems to me that is the antithesis of the IDEA of camping. I mean I live in NYC and have a house in upstate NY....packed in NYC is a drag and upstate I have neighbors I never see.

As for solar....I am a big fan. Just finished a 6 Part(!) article for the RV Newsletter folks outlining my entire install. It's a bit on the odd side as I have a TINY roof area to work with. Still managed to get 450watts up there!

Take a look, if you like.....

WanderMan: A Better Solar Charging Mouse Trap.PART 1

I'm always on the lookout for interesting places to spend a few days. This country is BIG!!!

Rich "The Wanderman"
1991 Aero Cruiser 23RBa Class A
Almost 100% Self Sufficient!
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #67
We travel about two months every year and we boondock as much as possible, we started travelling in a 1987 Westfalia that we still use for weekends and VW gatherings. Two summers ago we picked up a really nice 1995 Winnebago brave, it's only 23' so we still can get into all the hot springs and remote areas we love so much. Because of the extra carrying capacity in the Brave plus the solar panels and generator we can get away further and stay longer than every before.
indie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #68
I always prefer to boondock for the freedoms it gives you. Peace, quiet, and the pursuit of happiness and thank goodness for solar panels.

Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #69
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Happy to. All mine are posted on the blog in the boondocking section

Will you share yours?
Wow, you have some great info on your blog! Thanks for posting
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #70
It may depend where people live also. Where we live all the land is owned. There is no place to boondock and get away from it all. It seems you have to live west of the Mississippi to boondock on decent land.

I myself don't mind boondocking by my husband has to have his Satellite TV, his wireless PC and phone.......

RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote