Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
I prefer to boon dock but - finding a spot on fly in unfamiliar areas is tough, traveling down road with a toad and turning onto a dead end is a pain, going slow enough to check out a possible areas and then make the turn is hard with traffic behind you. The West is huge and there are a millions of acres of land open but narrowing it down to that 1/4 acre you can get a coach and toad in/on to is not always so easy. I also like to explore the area with my jeep but I am reluctant to leave my MH on some side road all alone. Most open areas I have been have lots of people living on the edge driving around - call me paranoid, not for me but for my abandoned MH all day. So I prefer NPS, FWS, BLM, FS, or State park CGs that in my experience have been widely spaced and have security in numbers for MH's left for day (no guarantee I know)

Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #72

We have only taken our MH to Orlando to visit our son in college coupled with the Disney thing. So we are at the CG to for sleeping, bathing, and breakfast. I prefer the hookups especially to come back to a cool unit. I would be happy in the woods with a tent every weekend, but the DW is a city girl. Life is all about baby steps and keeping peace.

Boondocking will come in time.

Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
been rving 35 years 90% boondocking. so many places you really don't get to enjoy the area in a c.g. we ride quads and love to explore! plus you don't have to worry about someone sitting in there rv running the genset all day.get out and enjoy your states BLM lands. dan & cathy 07 8.1 fleetwood terra lx
Old 01-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #74

Freightliner Owners Club
Personally I like both, nothing like spending a week or more in the desert or in the woods. My Wife loves the sun so she not much for the wooded sites. Anyway I agree a well run campground with great people is nice. Its all in the people, and the pets JR
Old 01-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by teera travel View Post
been rving 35 years 90% boondocking. so many places you really don't get to enjoy the area in a c.g. we ride quads and love to explore! plus you don't have to worry about someone sitting in there rv running the genset all day.get out and enjoy your states BLM lands. dan & cathy 07 8.1 fleetwood terra lx
Not trying to pick a fight (well, maybe a little), but quads are usually louder than gennys. And, those who ride tend to do it for hours on end in the same area, so... to each his own, right?!?
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #76

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinMyHome View Post
Not trying to pick a fight (well, maybe a little), but quads are usually louder than gennys. And, those who ride tend to do it for hours on end in the same area, so... to each his own, right?!?
Thems is fight'n words!!! HAHAHAAH!!!
I have a saying - There are two types of people in this world... Those who ride ATVs, enjoy the outdoors and the great land that this country has to offer.... And then there are those who like campgrounds, plugged in on a concrete pad 7 feet from the neighbors sewer hose with quiet hours at 9pm...
I've "turned" my fare share of people into ATV lovers, my motto is... It Only Takes 1 Ride!!!
TheBeachHous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #77

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by teera travel View Post
Ive been RVing my entire life, and just in the past 6 years have we found the love that is our ATVs... Its so nice to camp in the middle of no where, ride for days in such beauty and peace and quiet... Its AWEsome!!!
TheBeachHous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #78

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I stopped riding ATV's, they only had 3 wheels. In my younger days we rode a lot in Mexico, now I won't even cross the border.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #79

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinMyHome View Post
My quad is a LOT louder than the genny...probably louder than John Force's funny car...hahaha. BUT...I idle away from camp, and I am gone from "the circle" for hours at at time. We idle back to the RV area and shut 'em down at the end of a ride as to not disturb the non-riders in the group....of which my DW is about 75% of the time.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
We would like to boonedock, but we only do so when traveling from point A to point B. As for the time being, the MH is my wifes home where ever she is working and she won't boonedock alone and needs the power & such that a campground provides. As far as CG's being like city living, the RV beats the alternative, apartment living. My wifes contracts last as short as 6 weeks & as long as 12 months, with an average of 5 months. Since she has been on the road, for the first 2 1/2 years we would move in & out of apartments every couple of months. These old bones got tired of moving furniture across this country that often, so we bought the MH. When looking at the difference between apartments & CG's, CG's win hands down.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #81

The only thing about riding quads is you don't ride circles around the motorhome so you only hear them come and go.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #82

OK here it is .. Don't tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernsue View Post
Anybody care to make public the best places they have boondocked,,we won't tell anybody,,
About 1 day of slow travel west of Denali Nat Park on the Denali hwy(110 miles of dirt) there is a neat spot next to a lake with swans and loons raising young. About 10% gravel grade 200yds getting down to it. NO neighbors. Spun a little coming out with 27 ft 5r
Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #83

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
About 1 day of slow travel west of Denali Nat Park on the Denali hwy(110 miles of dirt) there is a neat spot next to a lake with swans and loons raising young. About 10% gravel grade 200yds getting down to it. NO neighbors. Spun a little coming out with 27 ft 5r
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #84

Our limited TT camping.....

...has been all boondocking except quick overnights along the highway when en route. We have found that Kansas, Colorado and many states have wonderful roadside rest parks. Free and convienent when traveling to and from the wilds.

We do all our camping in and or west of the Rocky Mountains We are big hikers so migrate to the mountians and canyonlands. No place on earth like BLM land in Utah. Millions of acres of islolated canyonland areas to camp. Anywhere you want. Often an unlimited supply of dead spruce and juniper wood nearby. "Supposed" to be out of sight of the hwy. We manage to get miles from the hwy most often. Absolute peace, quiet. Incredible scenery and seldom anyone within sight.

We have used solar power and battery in the past. Gas for fridge, hot water and cooking. Use very little energy. Just enough heat to knock the chill out of a morning. Then we are outside, hiking or enjoying a campfire the rest of the time. At bedtime we snuggle, use sleeping bags when necessary and sleep unheated down to about 40 degrees. I grew up in an unheated shack for a bedroom so it is natural for me. Even the wife likes it that way now. Don't camp much when it is really hot.

Did I say that we can not endure the thought of crowded commercial campgrounds? When we find ourselves with that only choice...we go to a motel.

Looking foward the heading west this spring.

Bob

Tags
boondocking