Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #113

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Wallmart and flying j parking lots don't qualify as boondocking. Or camping. Strictly freeloading there.
So, if you are given an open invitation to park your RV overnight anytime you like, and you take advantage of that invitation, it's freeloading? I'm sorry but I do not agree.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #114

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd like to boondock more after I hang up my boots, but there is very nice camping much closer to where we live right now in a campground.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #115

Winnebago Owners Club
The only reason I would boondock is to same money. I'm not well off. I'm not cheap. So, I'll go for enjoyment wherever and when I can in with the rv. I really don't mind boondocking sometimes.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Nope,... you've just been to the wrong campgrounds. See my post above. Those that are packed together are almost never "campers." They're overnighters on the way to somewhere else. Or they're there to visit relatives who own homes near the place, or for a funeral or wedding. They couldn't care less what the place looks like as long as it's safe and has full hookups. Why generalize if you don't know any better?
NOPE actually YOU pretty much have it wrong - the VAST majority of "campgrounds" - including MOST state CG's in our own state of Oregon - make their $$$ purely off maintaining as high an occupancy rate in as small an area as possible - their operating expenses and profit margins come TOTALLY from the nightly fees charged - and "frills", if any, are usually quite modest. Those are the common parks for both the overnight travelers, as well as the longer term, final destination types.

What YOU are largely referring to, when pointing to RV lodging spots with things like swimming pools, w-i-d-e spaces, social halls and lots of planned group activities, fall into a completely DIFFERENT category than a simple CG, and often are membership-only parks that in addition to membership purchase costs, ALSO charge monthly "maintenance" fees - whether you ever actually USE the park or not - they are more of a Resort - or at the very least, a high-end CG that must charge astronomical prices in order to PROVIDE those nifty spaces and extra features.

They certainly are NOT in the $25-$45 a night class as other CG's in the more popular areas of the country!

They are HARDLY what could be called anywhere NEAR an "average end-of-journey" roosting spot!

As you have said:

Quote:
Why generalize if you don't know any better?
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
NOPE actually YOU pretty much have it wrong - the VAST majority of "campgrounds" - including MOST state CG's in our own state of Oregon - make their $$$ purely off maintaining as high an occupancy rate in as small an area as possible - their operating expenses and profit margins come TOTALLY from the nightly fees charged - and "frills", if any, are usually quite modest. Those are the common parks for both the overnight travelers, as well as the longer term, final destination types.

What YOU are largely referring to, when pointing to RV lodging spots with things like swimming pools, w-i-d-e spaces, social halls and lots of planned group activities, fall into a completely DIFFERENT category than a simple CG, and often are membership-only parks that in addition to membership purchase costs, ALSO charge monthly "maintenance" fees - whether you ever actually USE the park or not - they are more of a Resort - or at the very least, a high-end CG that must charge astronomical prices in order to PROVIDE those nifty spaces and extra features.

They certainly are NOT in the $25-$45 a night class as other CG's in the more popular areas of the country!

They are HARDLY what could be called anywhere NEAR an "average end-of-journey" roosting spot!

As you have said:

I'll argue that point...in Pa we have alot of campgrounds that have lots rented by the night and permanent lots. I stayed in a favorite one by the Kinzua dam called Red Oak that has a pool, ceramics, live band, parade, hay rides, minature golf, playground for the kids, and it cost me $160 to stay for the July 4th week with electric, water, wiifi, and dump station. They have a store that sells food and camping equipment and even has fresh baked pasteries every morning. They also have cabins to rent.Camping in Northwest, Pennsylvania
Old 03-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
I'll argue that point...in Pa we have alot of campgrounds that have lots rented by the night and permanent lots. I stayed in a favorite one by the Kinzua dam called Red Oak that has a pool, ceramics, live band, parade, hay rides, minature golf, playground for the kids, and it cost me $160 to stay for the July 4th week with electric, water, wiifi, and dump station. They have a store that sells food and camping equipment and even has fresh baked pasteries every morning. They also have cabins to rent.Camping in Northwest, Pennsylvania
I've no doubt there are scattered exceptions - and some states more than others - but the aim here was AVERAGE CG's across the nation - not the few occasional deviations from the norm.

We've RV'd across the continent several times, wintered in Florida a couple of times, and extensively up and down the west coast and western USA- and while there were a HANDFUL of exceptions, a HANDFUL was about it - and ABSOLUTELY nothing you'd want to plan your RVing experience or ownership around!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #119

Nor'easters Club
Personally, I like the challenge of finding spots to stay for the night (or 2)

I can be difficult, but my whole goal is to be as self contained as possible. It's tough to shel out for a campground the NOT use the hookups!

I also agree with a lot of what the other posters are saying. Parking essentially in a diagonal parking lot right next to your neighbor(s) isn;t why I have an RV.

Different strokes, you know?

Rich "The Wanderman"
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Wallmart and flying j parking lots don't qualify as boondocking. Or camping. Strictly freeloading there.
I disagree 100%. It's still dry camping no matter how you look at it and RVs are welcome in these places. These places also make money on us RV owners since we almost always can use a few items from the store.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #121

We prefer to boondock for 2 reasons: #1- Affordability, #2- Many sites are remote and quiet. Since we are self-contained, we can go for about 5 days before we have to dump our tanks. Every 4 or 5 days, we go to a campground to dump tanks, water-up, and do laundry....then back to dry-camping if possible. We are retired and on a very limited budget, so any savings is a blessing!!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #122

Being a pilot the DW & I boondock at a lot of little airports and folks backyard 'strips' around the country when we travel.

It's a sort of unspoken rule in the aviation community to offer camping spots to traveling pilots, whether they fly in or drive in. It started with the very first cross-country pilots sleeping under the wing of their plane in a farmers field somewhere.

It's definitely become one of our favourite ways to spend the night. Besides, as a rule, small airports are deserted once the sun goes down and they're usually well clear of any traffic noise too.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #123

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gampabar i think you got it right!! we are not fulltimers yet. but when we go out for weeks at a time thats what we do and love it!! see more ,meet more ,and have more!

dan & cathy 07 8.1 36' fleetwood terra lx
Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #124

Depends on what you mean by "boondocking." We camp mostly at state parks. Only electric, no water or sewer. The sites are wooded, so most of the time you can't see your neighbor. Frankly, I don't understand why someone would want to park their rig on concrete or blacktop and sit in it 24/7. We're there to enjoy the outdoors. But I have to admit, I like the little "conveniences." We're not retired yet, and I may change my mind, but as for now, the state parks will do. I don't like the campgrounds that have multiple pools, an activity director, golf carts screaming all over the place, a sheet of rules a mile long, and a price tag of $50+ a night. I prefer to be in a quieter location with as few screaming kids and barking dogs as possible. Thats why we'll stick to mid-week when we're retired and leave the weekends to the amateurs.
Trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #125

We haven't got to travel much yet but when we did we boondocked on the way to the campground. Enjoyed the amenities at the cg but the boondocking certainly served it's purpose. They both have good and bad points for us - more good than bad. We just love RVing.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #126

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I don't understand why someone would want to park their rig on concrete or blacktop and sit in it 24/7. We're there to enjoy the outdoors.
Nope neither do I unless there is a good reason. We got our little rig the fall of 2005 and it hasn't been overnight nor any length of time in a campground. CG's are fine, but not for us. We haven't stayed 24 hours in any parking lots either. If we are not at our destination by dusk or close to it we'll be at a WM or other level parking lot for the remainder of the night then on the road right after breakfast. Just stay in the RV!! not if I can find something to do like shopping or even exploring the surrounding area. By midnight we're setting up for the night. It works for us, we like it and intend to continue doing it in the future. We like to travel, and we meet people along the way. We're older folks and have no interest in bungy jumping , squash courts or the latest style bikini at the pool, including whatever amenities are offered at the CG's, they're not for us. We shop at various stores, and when necessary, I'll also pay the full price for a tank dump at a CG and then soon be on the road again. So being quite the opposite from yourself, I hope this helps you to understand those of us who want to be different for different reasons and do our own things.
Cheers
WilleyB

WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking