Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #15

Hubby and have I boondocked on BLM land 6 months a year for 7 years. Since full timing is our life style not a vacation, we live very comfortably. Solar, but don't do TV. We do have internet satellite. We budget energy, water and can go 14-21 days between dumping and replenishment and only use the generator on cloudy days or for special activities. We choose the outback for privacy and enjoyment of wild life.
jdolb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #16

What a Camp ground?

50 yrs + of boondocking, never have been in camp ground 1 time.
That is the only way to live, when the road stops, you'll find a camp spot.
Don
Old 07-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #17

Can't stand commercial kampgrounds. We're typically in the desert, a state park, or at a race track. Once we went to a time share type kampground. Complete with cheesy activity center (old videos and magazines), mediocre restaurant, and geezer filled pool. "Long termers" endlessly roaming around in their golf carts. We passed on the Saturday night "chuckwagon" steak dinner, and left early Sunday, a day early. Not our bag by any means... Maybe in another 20 years, but really doesn't appeal to us.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1956 View Post
We boondock in National Parks and National Forest as much as possible. In between, we try to stop only at State Parks.
I second that. We much prefere the middle of nowhere to camp.

Mark
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1956 View Post
We boondock in National Parks and National Forest as much as possible. In between, we try to stop only at State Parks.
Ditto here also. Forests, Nat. parks and state in that order of pref. COE if there is one for campgrounds if possible.. some campgrounds if I am on my way to a destination for sightseeing and there is no other choices available. I bury myself in the forest for a good month a year usually, in two seperate 2 week excursions.

NO Lights,television, cell phone, or internet. Just peace and quiet and loads of nature and hiking and simple eats. Did I mention peace and quiet lol I try not to run the generator much either.. once every few days to recharge the batteries if I have too. I bought a Honda now so I will make less noise. I can remember a time when I didn't use the propane stove as I didn't want to dirty it... now I use it all the time..

I still tent now and then.. some places you just can't get to with an rv.. like a mountain bald etc... you have to work for those extra special views. In fact, I just bought a big agnes fly creek ul tent .. nice and light like these 'getting older" bones like..

I also Dry camp at dog shows... but there it is like a circus.. generators on all the time and the people make more noise than the dogs...But I really love them and know so many people in that world so I have loads of fun at them. I don't go to them to get lots of rest.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #20

The DW and I kind of chuckle every time we pass one of those "right on the highway" campgrounds that the big city folks call camping. Who wants to listen to cars and semis cruising past day and night?? Be packed in like sardines and forced to listen to other peoples kids and pets raising a ruckus? I don't know that what we do would be considered boondocking since we have electricity and a septic system but we are on our own .4 acre property on THE Tippecanoe River at the end of a private road and next to a small private campground where our favorite neighbors "camp". We don't do the colored lights like they do; just a camp fire and a few fishing poles on the bank is all we need...
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #21

Love boondocking - Since Sept. 2008 when I got my first RV, I have only went to a campground once. Friends have been inviting me to campgrounds lately so I expect to go more in the future.

Prefer boondocking though.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Boondocked in the Desert for years when the desert was devoid of people. Now we boondock at the beach once a month. When we are on the road we use campgrounds for the convience. If I travel by myself in my Pickup, I still love putting my bedroll on the ground and looking at the stars until I fall asleep. That is real peace.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
  1. BLM,
  2. USFS,
  3. National Park,
  4. State Park,
  5. County park
  6. Wal Mart
....In that order

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #24

Boondocking for sure, more room and less noise. Our whole campground is boondocking oriented, large sites, free firewood. No pools with chlorinated water. Water..bring your own. Want to get wet, go jump into Georgian Bay(Lake Huron) You want to pass gas, go ahead, nobody that close that's going to mind. I've done campgrounds a couple of times, I find they're too much like a big townhouse without the walls.
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bought the little rig in2005, "it" hasn't been in a campground since and there are no plans for "it" or us to to be in a campground in the future. Sorry folks campgrounds just have nothing to attract us. Life's like that for some folks Great topic!

Cheers from
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Drycamping, preferably free is my favorite way to go...
This picture's from Twin Lakes, Lincoln County, Washington State.(BLM land)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01232.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	12392
See the little white speck in the center of the picture? That's Me!

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #27

I have to admit I enjoy being out in Gods beautiful Nature. I installed solar, have no generator and we full time. I am still fully employed and with a Verizon cell and broadband card in am in the office where ever we are. We are full-timers for 4 years. Have no storage or place we are always at home where ever we park it. And even boon-docking in this picture I spend time at work, but boy do I enjoy the evening.
Kent
KFRimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #28

Sorry I couldn't get the picture to upload???

Oh Got it... that is small...
Kent
KFRimr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking