Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Lynette,
I don't have an answer for the fridge trouble. But glad you enjoyed your experience.
Hubby and I boondocked a couple days right after 4th of July on an old abandoned airstrip. Everyone was boondocking as it was a county airport...not set up for campers...LOL! We ran our generator most the day, and at night we ran a fan just to keep the air moving, it got cool enough with the windows open we could sleep...few degrees higher and we would have had to run the generator all night too....but the type A beside us was running theirs and the only thing that bothered me about it is I wish I had parked the other direction so I didn't smell it when I walked out the door every time.

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #16

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnette
we just got back last week from our 4 day boondocking experience... we ended up running the generator most of the time, that kept us cool inthe 90+ degree weather. Since we dont really understand all of the ins and outs of dry camping it was easier than fighting a battery situation since we are not really set up for boondocking. The only issue we had was our fridge, we could not get it to regulate on gas (fridge and water heater we were running on gas so we could shut off gen. from time to time) , it would go from 39 - 45 - 57 back down to 40 , just all over the place. Frustrating but we just turned it off after 2 days and used ice. Any suggestions on what we we/werent doing? It runs great on shore power put it on 3 and it goes right to 35-37 and stays
Could be simple like a spider web in the gas line at the back of the fridge or a solenoid not getting correct voltage to maintain correct flow. What type of fridge is it? Domitec or Norcold? Do a search for your brand specific on this site and you should get some expert advice on what to check. I believe TxIceman is an A/C guy so he may know quite a bit as well as others.

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Lynette,
...the only thing that bothered me about it is I wish I had parked the other direction so I didn't smell it when I walked out the door every time.
Generator exhaust stacks are a great thing even if you are the only person there. Depending on your rig's configuration and the wind, exhaust fumes can sometimes be blown back under your rig. An exhaust stack helps keep that from happening and is better for any neighbors too.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #18

If you park w/fridge on sun side, sometimes it's hard to regulate temp.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #19

thanks everyone
Old 08-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #20

Howdy!

I would place the frig on propane mod. If you have your pet with you and plan on leaving it in the RV I would open and run the 12 volt fan(s) in your RV instead of the AC. I would not want to retrun to the RV to find the generator has stopped during your absence with pet inside. We place our pets inside our 5er when we make stops during our travels and use the 12 volt fans and it keeps the inside cool enough. RV's are not like cars that overheat inside.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
.RV's are not like cars that overheat inside.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Boy, that sure isn't true of my rig. Inside can get in to the high 90s with no trouble at all... and it gets there pretty quickly.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to garytut&twooie Send a message via Skype™ to garytut&twooie
[QUOTE=lynnette;1276908]we just got back last week from our 4 day boondocking experience... we ended up running the generator most of the time, that kept us cool inthe 90+ degree weather. Since we dont really understand all of the ins and outs of dry camping it was easier than fighting a battery situation since we are not really set up for boondocking. The only issue we had was our fridge, we could not get it to regulate on gas (fridge and water heater we were running on gas so we could shut off gen. from time to time) , it would go from 39 - 45 - 57 back down to 40 , just all over the place. Frustrating but we just turned it off after 2 days and used ice. Any suggestions on what we we/werent doing? It runs great on shore power put it on 3 and it goes right to 35-37 and stays[/

Your rig needs to be level to run frig on propane. That may have been the problem. Going down the road the frig will do fine, level or not, once it is cold. Alwas turn your frig on and let it get cold before setting out on a trip. I usually place a 7lb bag of ice in the freezer to help the cold making process. Empty frig and freezer takes longer to make cold.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
An exhaust stack helps keep that from happening and is better for any neighbors too.
Unless you or your neighbors have a roof fan pulling air in!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #24

Lynette, another thing with the fridge is...they do not recover quickly like your home fridge. 1 minute of the door being open can take more than 1 hour to recover. You must be quick in and out of the fridge or freezer..no matter if on gas or electric.
So if you have to open the fridge to see the thermometer...do it only when needing to be in the fridge. Don't keep opening the door to check the thermometer
Old 09-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Boy, that sure isn't true of my rig. Inside can get in to the high 90s with no trouble at all... and it gets there pretty quickly.

Rick
That's one of the big selling points of a Newmar is the good insulation. We went one better and added the extra cost (only about $100) roof insulation package. The dual pane windows weren't cheap though! I think both are now standard on a Dutch Star though.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Lynette, another thing with the fridge is...they do not recover quickly like your home fridge. 1 minute of the door being open can take more than 1 hour to recover. You must be quick in and out of the fridge or freezer..no matter if on gas or electric.
So if you have to open the fridge to see the thermometer...do it only when needing to be in the fridge. Don't keep opening the door to check the thermometer
We have trouble with that with our 12 yr old grandson! Open the door and stand there while thinking about what he opened it for. I guess that's better than in the stick house where he gets something out (milk for instance) and leaves the door open while he gets a glass, opens the milk, pours a glass, drinks some, puts the lid on and puts the bottle back in the refer!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
No such thing as a silly question, we boondock all the time and even take the MH to the lake up the street just to play in the water. We park next to the water and leave the generator running all day to keep the interior cool (100s here) that way our 6 month old grand daughter can come out and spend the day. We take turns going in to the MH with her as she's not old enough to regulate her own body temp yet.
Only concern I've ever had running the gen for long periods of time is making sure there are no high grass or combustibles near the exhaust pipe. Don't want to be the cause of a wildfire.
Wow! There's a gem! I would never have thought of that!

Thx.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many places discourage running the generator all night, All day is OK, but.... Consider adding a Gen-Turi generator exhaust extension before you do..

Generators genrate not only electricity but exhaust gas which can kill... The Gen-turi takes these gasses up up and away,, Instead of shooting them into either your own RV or the one next door.. Many folks have gone to sleep with the generator on (or a neighbor's generator on) and .. Well, they are still sleeping, the long sleep, the one you don't wake up from.

Running the genny while highballing down the highway (Highball = Full speed ahead, railroad term) is no problem because by the time the exhaust gets up to the living quarters it's half a mile behind the RV, (Well not far, the half mile is from a joke, but the key word is BEHIND)

But parked, Consider the Gen-Turi.

Run the generator during the day, The batteries should keep you at night provided you do not need air conditioning overnight.

Takes 4-6 hours minimum to fully charge battreies,,

OH, and fill the fuel tank just before you get to the place you park, a full tank is nice, a quarter tank is empty far as the generator is concerned.

Recommendation 2: Run generator under at least 1/2 load for at least 1/2 hour every month,, Use air conditioner or space heaters to provide the load.. IF using space heaters I recommend installind dedicated heavy duty (15/20 amp) outlets for them as standard RV wiring may not be up to the task.

Tags
boondocking