Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #15

Hi there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Dogs help too. Neither one of ours is viscous by any means but at least one will make noise if anything goes on. Then there is the shotgun. I have no idea what kind it is, just a 12 gauge pump. Have a few shells to go with it. I figure that sticking it out the window is step one, racking one in is two and hope I don't wreck anything in the MH is three.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CShorter View Post
First, as someone said above, I utilize my common sense. If it doesn't feel right I either don't camp or break camp and leave. Second, should something occur I keep a full can of Wasp spray next to the door. Twelve foot range, and it'll definelty knock em back. If I actually hit em in the eyes it's going to cause some pain. Last but not least I have my "friend" a Mossburg 500 Police model. The sound of a 12 Guage being "racked" will usually get someone's attention.
Agreed.

Since I do long haul and travel into Canada, company policy is no firearms and Canada will ask about pepper spray but I have not had one custom officer ask about wasp spray!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Your best defense is your brain. If you feel uncomfortable or edgy- listen! Then get away ASAP.
By far some of the best advice you'll ever get. Yep I'm in Canada and our thugs are no different that yours, they fight amongst themselves, just don't be close by when they want to rumble. I have hunting rifles but I've never felt the need to carry them for protection. If DW doesn't feel good about a place, we move on. (I guess she's more aware than I am) The only times I faced death or danger was from my own stupidity and none of those times were from a weapon.
A pet dog was mentioned, do not in any circumstance discount a dog. I have a 97 lb pet as docile as they come, however when she gets into a Protect mode (seems dogs are much more aware than we are) only a very brave but foolish person would ignore the warning. (I saw the protect mode twice, both times I was walking her when approached by strangers) all other times she greeted strangers as if they were long lost friends. Go figure. In an case the puppy is the only protection I need or travel with.
As Ray posted, "If you feel uncomfortable or edgy- listen! Then get away ASAP." much better than being tried by twelve or carried by six.
Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
Gents:

Well if you are in Canada and a firearm is not allowed then your brain and a Good Dog is your best defense. The Wasp spray is better than nothing, but beware. A determined thug is just going to be more pissed off being hit with Wasp Spray, especially if you miss his eyes. Same as pepper spray, or bear spray.

How about a hand held taser. Now that is a shocking experience. Again I don't know canadian law if it is lawfull or not.

Regards... JIm P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The most recent Supreme Court decision has just made any form of defense defendable. But don't be a braggard. Don't make your armory a target for thieves.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #21

Heartland RV Club
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
From Stolen Trailers

82-year-old Robert Wallace faces 20 felony charges for defending his property, two illegal aliens thieves uncharged

You fire two shots. The thieves are let go, and you find yourself facing life in prison.
Admitted thieves are going free, while an elderly Wheat Ridge man is facing the possibility of spending the rest of his life behind bars, all, he says, for trying to defend his property and his life.

Quote:
The freedom to defend yourself is one of the basic rights of a free man or woman. It means recognizing that they have the right to their property and person. A system that denies the right to self-defense is implicitly stating that they have the right to neither.
This happened in Jefferson Co. and is a very interesting write up. Sounds like Canada but it isn't. I guess the second amendment gives you the right to bear arms but not the right to use them. There is no doubt in my mind that the old guy will be declared not guilty but at what cost? The only winners here will be the lawyers.

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have had a CC permit from KY for about 8 years. Recently bought a Taurus Judge Public Defender It is easily concealed and fires either (or both) 410 shotgun and 45 Colt. About the perfect weapon for RVs and self defense. With the 410 the kick is not bad. I keep it in a bolted down small gun safe.

I will avoid our Northern neighbors by using the marine highway to Alaska. I had a close encounter with a grizzly while flyfishing 4 years ago and got away by grace of God. After woofing at me and my brother and snapping its' jaw it lost interest and wandered off but not until it scared the heck out of us and a friend who observed this from 50 yards away.We were the only unarmed people on the river that day. Never again

When I do go to Canada, I will leave any weapon at home. I have no intent to break anyone's law. It's ironic that the bad guys will be armed and the victims unable to defend themselves by law.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #24

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi Steg

I have a taurus revolver...The Judge.... it is a good defensive weapon. I would eliminate the bird shot and go with two rounds of Federal Triple 0 Buckshot, and three rounds of Buffolo Bore .45 Long Colt. I would bypass the cowboy loads in the 45 Colt.

I use The Judge as a back woods side carry. I did take out a mountain rattler with the shot shell last year at close range. Near blew his head off.

Regards... Jim P.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Pameridian,

I have the Winchester personal defense ammo that they recently came out with. It has 3 large disks and some bb shot. I use #6 when hiking in snake country. We have Timber Rattlers and Copperheads in the Red River Gorge area where I go for photography.

Can't stress enough the need for weapon safety. I am ex-military and even though we were Navy, I qualified expert with the M16 and 1911. I spent some time in a whaleboat keeping other boats away from Navy installations in SE Asia The gun handling you see on TV would get you kicked off most practice ranges.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #26

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi Setg:

Yeah I been wanting to try that Winchester PD disc stuff. I did my tour of Duty many years ago 70 -72.. 82nd AB. I was also a master at arms.

Back to the RV... a nice Mossberg or Remie 870 pump under the bed wouldn't hurt either.

Regards... Jim P.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:45 PM   #27

Kimber makes 2 different "guns" that propels gas at a pretty good clip and different ranges. One does 90mph for 13 feet, the other does 270 mph for 23 feet.
www.kimberamerica.com

High quality products but don't know their legal status for carry in different locations. Kimber would probably have info on this.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
what about canada. they don't allow weapons ?