Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #1

boondocking safely

Hi just wondering if anybody has run into any problems when staying in that out of the way place? If it was just me I would not care. But I am taking wife along .Just this past weekend we were biking and had four hoodlums yelling all kind of things at us for no reason ,even though we were 200 yards off paved road on a bike trail. Makes you think about bumping into idiots when your parked in the out of the way place. I will have a shotgun ,just for safety ,never want to show it ,or use it ,only in life or death situation. I figure it is legal to cross state lines with it ,unlike a handgun. Better to be safe than sorry .Dont know if my thinking is correct,but watching americas most wanted for years now ,makes you realize there are some things that happen when you least expect it.Staying at campgrounds would be safe or blm land . Just wondering about that pull off on dirt road ect.Planning on probablly never having a problem,just wondering if anybody has same concerns.
wylie pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #2

I like the out of the way places also. I do have a weapon or two just in case. I think the closer you are to a major city is where you find the most chance for a problem. When I stop seeing grafitti I figure i'm far enough away of the idiots. It's a crazy world we live in.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
sip

Winnebago Owners Club
You can get a concealed weapon permit from the State of Florida. Florida has resoprocity with 34 states that will honor your permit. You do not have to be a resident of Florida. If your not a verteran you must take a 1/2 day class and fire a pistol for the instructor. If you are a veteran bring your DD214 two pasport pictures $85..License is good for 7 years.
sip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I travel, I always have my Smith & Wesson insurance. Being a retired police officer, I have the advantage of knowing how to use it and I have a permit that allows me to carry in all 50 states. I would hate to use my weapon, but I will to protect my family.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Make common sence prevail. A shotgun is a good choice. I have a concealed carry permit 32 years.

When I boondock I am always armed. My family's safety comes first.

Regards... Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
As of August, 2010 the Arizona law will allow carrying a concealed weapon without a permit. It's the wild west out here! Joe
Old 05-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
I've never heard of a problem but anything can happen anywhere.

Odds are you'll be just fine but lets not forget the Boy Scout marching song, Be Prepared!

Stay alert, stay ready. Besides, I usually find that if I prepare for something it never happens. However if you're unprepared, watch out! Mrs. Murphy raised no fools.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
As of August, 2010 the Arizona law will allow carrying a concealed weapon without a permit. It's the wild west out here! Joe

Thats good news thats the way it should be the RV is our Home and I intend to protect it and us!
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #9

We carry wasp spray, bows and arrows, baseball bats and HP air pellet guns, still have young kids. Figure we can blind em with spray, beat em with bats and use em for target practice. Never had any problems in remote places but always keep my eyes open. Besides seen my wife hit with a bat and no thank you, she's good.
Not as good as shotgun or 9mm but less risky.
Clonetrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:43 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have boondocked many times and in many places from the Alaska highway to Wally World and never had a problem of any kind. Like others have mentioned we carry insurance with Beretta, Colt, Smith & Wesson and Mossberg, wasp spray and Louieville slugger. I personally detest violence in all forms and would never instigate same but I will be the first to say that if you ''mess with me and mine'' you may not live to regret it.
Old family saying ....
'' it is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6''

''nuff said''
Seajay the sailor man ...
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Don't forget the bear spray good for lots of stuff.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #12

Your best defense is your brain. If you feel uncomfortable or edgy- listen! Then get away ASAP.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry the compact 45 when needed and it is always in the truck when traveling and the trailer at night. I ride a recumbent trike and have been know the pack the pistol. There are just too many young and old punks out there that are just looking for trouble.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #14

Self protection during Boondocking

First, as someone said above, I utilize my common sense. If it doesn't feel right I either don't camp or break camp and leave. Second, should something occur I keep a full can of Wasp spray next to the door. Twelve foot range, and it'll definelty knock em back. If I actually hit em in the eyes it's going to cause some pain. Last but not least I have my "friend" a Mossburg 500 Police model. The sound of a 12 Guage being "racked" will usually get someone's attention.
CShorter is offline   Reply With Quote