Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #15

If anyone is scared to boondock for the love of god don't drive on a highway!! You would not believe how many folks are killed and injured there.

Tongue in Cheek - but really I'm way more frightened driving through any city on an Interstate than anywhere I've boondocked x 10

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry, but can we please not make this post about gun control? I fear it will derail all the answers into (yet another) discussion on guns.

Going back to the original question on boondocking safety. There are many places you can boondock with some people around if that makes you or you wife feel more comfortable. For example in the SW there are some more popular or well-known boondocking spots such as Quartzsite, AZ and other LTVA areas (Long Term Visitor Areas) where you will have some space, but still not be completely alone. Typically people come and stay there for the winter season. Many folks come back year after year and a little community builds. It may be a way to "ease" into the boondocking experience for both of you and see if you like it and feel comfortable doing it. Just another idea.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keeping guns out of the discussion was part of the OP which was a reasonable request.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #18

We've boondocked over 1,000 nights and have never felt threatened in any way, by people, animals, weather or anything. Instead we've been surrounded by the beauty of nature... you can't beat it!

Twice we have had the cops knock on our door. Each time we were boondocked in a swank, ritzy town in a place we thought was okay but wasn't. Each time the cops were nice as could be and recommended alternative places to boondock. That's it for "weird things" happening in 5+ years of boondocking.

Boondocking is a wonderful way to see this continent. If we were not able to boondock, we would not go RVing. Period. It's that simple!!

The best thing about boondocking is the spectacular views you can get out your RV window and the incredible wildlife that wanders past your door.

We regularly camp in places that have multi-million dollar views that are not for sale because they are on public land. And we've enjoyed watching deer, elk, moose, bunnies, pelicans and herons right from our trailer windows.

Fear keeps people from fulfilling their dreams -- just jump in with both feet and have the time of your life!!!
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy View Post
Fear keeps people from fulfilling their dreams -- just jump in with both feet and have the time of your life!!!
I could not have said this better myself!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #20

Like others have said, if I could not boondock, I would not likely have an RV.

I have boondocked since I was a kid and loved It. We lived on a farm with riverfront property and from a very early age my brother and I would take our canoe on many river trips with a canvas "tiedown" for a leantoo, ground sheets and sleeping bags, with provisions for many days. Evergreen boughs were used for a mattress. We did not take perishable goods with us and for the most part we lived off the land (and water). We ate a lot of fish, roasted rabbit over a spit, made stew and got watercress from spring fed streams. We even roasted squirrles, they don't taste bad. We carried a .22 rifle, a Bow with arrows, knives, axe, field saw, fishing gear, compass etc. But kept our load simple so we could backpack while carrying the canoe over our heads when we needed to "portage" around rapids or between lakes. We sometimes fished with the Bow and Arrow and were extremely cognizant of bear/critter and fire safety issues a very young age and we knew the difference between mushrooms and toadstools and other edible and non edible vegetation. The rule was if we did not recognize it as being safe, we deemed it unsafe and never got sick or injured. We were the "Voyageur" or "Courier du bois" in Canadian history speak.

I have never lost that want for a close connection to the outdoors and did it with my son for years, we now boondock with more creature comforts, and the land is much less pristine, from what it was "back in the day", I just enjoy being close to nature and a great trip for me with the RV is not having to stay in a campground. (or wallyworld for that matter, because "wallyloting" is not boondocking to me.)
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #21

I drove truck for 20+ years, so with that said, most of my experience parking with the public....well challenging at best, saw many things that concerned me.

We are new to RVing, and have given Boondocking some thought.

I personally think that if you use common sense, and park in logical spots, things will be OK.

Doesn't hurt to have a Big dog....
Old 05-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I could not have said this better myself!
I agree.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
I liked the big dog idea.
And I might add I'd keep a alum baseball bat handy.
Or if law allows an ASP baton (21 inch model is quite handy, I keep one in my Jeep) When one is extended it sounds just like a pump action shotgun cambering a round. It really gets peoples attention.
See them here: https://www.asp-usa.com/store/batons.html
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #24

This thread reminds me of a story. I live in the middle of nowhere. I'm 2 miles from the nearest town of 250 people. There is one other house on this road. A few years back it was sold and a man from the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/ St.Paul bought it. He wanted to use it as a hunting cabin. His wife a daughter refused to sleep in the house because they said "If someone breaks in during the night to kill us and we scream no one can hear us" lol. I tried to explain that because we were all living in the middle of nowhere and there were so few people around that the odds of that happening were next to impossible. But, they were so programmed by city life that the women just went nuts out in the country by themselves. They ended up getting a divorce, he still lives across the road from me with his new county girlfriend and his ex wife and daughter live in the cities locked up in her house living in fear.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Or if law allows an ASP baton (21 inch model is quite handy, I keep one in my Jeep) When one is extended it sounds just like a pump action shotgun cambering a round. It really gets peoples attention.
As long as the person who hears that "just like a pump action chambering a round" sound isn't nervous & carrying a firearm it probably is handy........
Old 05-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been RV'ing since 1957, in all that time there was only once that caused me to show others that I wouldn't be a victim and that was in Wyoming in 2004.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #27
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Been boondocking for 50 yrs. Never had one problem. Tents, trailers, rv's and all.
Well, it can happen.
Stun Guns - Effective Self Defense Products for Man and Woman

A few weeks ago in a very nice rv park the door knob jiggled repeatedly while my wife hollered "who is there", and "go away". I had two flashlight stun guns on order due to a dog encounter a few weeks earlier but they were in transit. Our Cocker Spainel strained at the door wanting to enjoy a midnight snack.

It took me about ten seconds to get out of bed and place myself between the door and behind the dog. I believe the stun gun cracking on the door handle would have given me a clue to who it was. Turns out it was a mistake we found out the next day. Glad they did not come in. They would have needed clean underwear.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I live by the motto "victims look like victims" in other words if you show your afraid they will take advantage of that. So DON'T look like a victim!! I drove truck for over 20 plus years and have walked around in some bad places.. Never been bothered!!
Chow5656 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, safety