Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2020, 11:35 AM   #1

Boondocking spot on East Side of Glacier National Park

Hi, Looking for a good boondocking spot on the east side of Glacier National Park close to the Going to the Sun road, but don't want to have to drive our 40 ft. motorhome towing a trailer through mountains. Is there anyplace anyone could recommend.

Thanks in advance.
tonka96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2020, 11:50 AM   #2

I've looked but on the east side there isn't much. There are dispersed camping sites along Hwy 2 south and west of the park, but the east side is an Indian Reservation I believe
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:08 PM   #3

For what it is worth, when we were camping on the East Side at both Many Glacier and Two Medicine several years ago, the park service rangers at both campgrounds warned us not to boondock near the park on the east side. Apparently, there had been some crime issues.

I have no idea if that was true, nor do I know if this problem is still a problem today. If you are going to boondock in the national forest, maybe talk to the ranger first?

Frankly, I have never had any crime problems in fifteen years of boondocking all over the West, so this may be just a random event.
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:37 PM   #4

On the east side I believe the land is Blackfeet Indian Reservation and I wouldn't boondock there. There aren't national forest areas on the east side. Flathead Nat'l Forest is on the south side; Stillwater State Forest on the west side.

According to another post of yours that I gave some directions from Banff/Jasper, I recommended you come back down on the west side and then continue your Yellowstone, etc. stops.

You will be doing some mountain driving to your planned places of stopping. You won't be alone out there. Many with big rigs will be with you!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:46 PM   #5

The east side of the park is indeed part of the Blackfeet Indian Reservation. I don't know of any boondocking spots on the east side. There are campgrounds inside and outside the park.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #6

Hi twogypsies, Thanks for the info. Thinking of trying to go on west side and take motorhome across 2 then head south on 93 to 90 to 191 and in to Yellowstone through Gallatin Canyon. My question, how many mountains will I have to deal with and how bad will they be? Thanks. You guys seem to get around a lot. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka96 View Post
Hi twogypsies, Thanks for the info. Thinking of trying to go on west side and take motorhome across 2 then head south on 93 to 90 to 191 and in to Yellowstone through Gallatin Canyon. My question, how many mountains will I have to deal with and how bad will they be? Thanks. You guys seem to get around a lot. Thanks again.
You'll have about 7 miles of descent with curves around Butte on I-90 along with a runaway truck ramp. Get into lower gear before heading down; not in midst of the hill. You shouldn't have any issues. Many RVers drive it. Just stay in the truckers lane and you'll be going slow.

(We lived in Michigan, also, at one time - I looked at your Profile to see what you're driving). It's helpful to create a Signature line that shows with every post. It's sometimes helpful for replies knowing what size and kind of RV.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:41 PM   #8

Well if thats all the mountains is on 90 by Butte I can handle that. Thanks so much. I will work on figuring out how to do the signature line. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:48 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
On the west side of Glacier aboot 25 miles N of Columbia Falls, MT is a nice Nat Forest CG, Big Creek. 22 sites, some reservation, 9 (I think) are first come. Dry camping, good access to the park.

Also check out the west side free sites at freecampsites.net and you'll find a few in the same area just to the NW of Glacier.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:43 AM   #10

Hi two gypsies,

You have been so helpful, I have a quick question. Now thinking of going to Kalispell area and then heading north on 93 up to Banff. What is that road like? You know what I mean, how mountainous is it? So wish I wasn't so chicken. Thanks for any info. I so appreciate it. Also, what kind of traffic would we expect on it in September. Thanks again. You really have been so helpful.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka96 View Post
Hi two gypsies,

You have been so helpful, I have a quick question. Now thinking of going to Kalispell area and then heading north on 93 up to Banff. What is that road like? You know what I mean, how mountainous is it? So wish I wasn't so chicken. Thanks for any info. I so appreciate it. Also, what kind of traffic would we expect on it in September. Thanks again. You really have been so helpful.
We've driven it twice with our 40' MH and I can't recall any 'big' hills. It's a pretty drive. The border crossing is at Roosville - super easy. We went up to Radium Hot Springs and then took HWY 1 to the Icefields Parkway. We stopped at Radium for nice warm soaks! Once was in May and the other in September. May was too early to enjoy everything because the trails were still snow-covered but it was beautiful. September - no snow and we had great weather but not much snow on the mountain tops which I would have loved to see.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:03 PM   #12

Sounds like a plan for us. We have decided to leave the motorhome in the states and ride the motorcycle up to Banff and hotel it up there, then come back down and get the motorhome and continue on our trip. Sounds like 93 from Kalispell to Banff will be fine on a motorcycle as long as we don't travel at night, which we won't do. Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:59 AM   #13

We went down from Banff along that road and it was fine. Pulling a 34 ft fiver.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondock, boondocking, national