Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Seajay, keep writing your stories. I really enjoy hearing from a fellow ex Navy man.
As soon as I can get the DW to retire, I plan to take a long trip to Alaska, with the DW, of course. I have heard so many good things about this trip that I am excited already.

Remember, us intelligent people are far out numbered by the idiots in this world!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You know I read all the responces and have a hard time understanding the thinking. I saw a show on Alaska that was showing everyone in a small village throwing the waste from the outhouses in a big hole outside of town. Another show was about septic systems in Alaska and the large yellow cickles hanging off the septic tanks where they were leaking all over the place. The point I am trying to make is, Alaska is something everyone should see, just don't mess it up anymore than the folks that live there...

Old 05-04-2010, 05:45 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
One more suggestion concerning boon docking the Alaska highway.....
If you have a boat of some sort to take with you for goodness sake stop at Muncho Lake. Cut throat trout by the buckets full and wonderful to eat. Take medium weight spinning gear and a lure called a ''Five Star'' spoon. Stay in the campground and go south on the lake until you get to the water source coming in the lake. Stay on the left side of the running water and let the lure dangle in the current just out of the rushing water. BOOM ... they will take the rod right out of your hands ..... You will have to buy firewood here.... DONT GATHER WOOD FROM THE LAKE SHORE....
The water in this lake is as clear as vodka and more than 100 feet deep in some places .....
In the morning there you can go outside real earley and listen real hard and hear God going for his morning coffee....... been there ,,,,, done that,,,,
Seajay the sailor man.....
Old 05-04-2010, 06:49 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
MUNCHO LAKE, CANADA .....
One quick story about boon docking on the Alaska highway back in 05…...

We pulled into Muncho Lake campground going north on the Alaska highway. We got the first spot campsight and backed in. It was glorious there. We launched the boat and set up camp as usual. Me and Earl decided that there was some fishing that needed to be done so we hopped in the boat and headed south on the lake. I was amazed at the depth of the lake. Some places 50 feet off shore the lake was over 100 feet deep and as clear as vodka. We trolled up to the river inlet and picked up a few cut throat trout as we went. We fished the inlet and caught more and we caught grayling and some dollies and more trout. In southern terms, we had enough for a ''mess''...... (any southerner knows how many fish it takes to make a ''mess'' of fish for supper.)
As we headed back to the coach we went along the shore where the road is right along side of the lake. Pedaling along like they owned the world was two guys on bicycles. They had all their ''stuff'' hanging all over the bikes and were seemingly happy as ''two clams''.. We said howdy and where the heck are you guys going riding bicycles.
It turned out that they had left Chicago and were going to Fairbanks riding bicycles.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?...... Nope, they were riding to raise money for some charity in Chicago... They were going to camp in the same campground as me and Earl were camping in. We asked them to supper if they liked. They said they would ''think about it''.......... We made it on to the campsight and unloaded and cleaned the fish. The girls started cooking hush puppies and fries and making slaw and me and Earl went down to the campsight of the guys on bikes and extended the invite to supper again. One of the guys was asleep and the guy we talked to seemed hesitant about coming up to supper. He said it had been a couple days since their last shower because they were rough camping along the way. We said no problem, come on up. The girls are fixing a ''nanner puddin'' for desert. This got them ….. They were surviving on freeze dried stuff and granola bars and it had been days since they had some real food.
I told them we would eat about six .
When you cook fish it is like making love to a widow woman. You cant do just a little. The girls had a platter of fish cooked up along with fries, hushpuppies, and cold slaw. They had cooked some of the fish from a previous fishing expedition also. We did the buffet thing when the guys came up and everyone pigged out. The bike guys stuffed themselves and that was good because warmed over fish and left over love just aint fit for humans. I reminded them about the ''nanner puddin'' and they managed a couple of servings. We went outside and they told us of their adventures along the Alaska highway. They were actually camping on the side of the road when necessary. They would stay in a motel about every six or seven days so they could ''scrub up''. They replenished their supplies from food drops they had sent to various towns along the Alaska highway.
The next morning we invited them over for eggs, grits, country ham, biscuits, gravy, butter and jam and coffee of course....Again they pigged out and thanked us profusely for the food and the companion ship... We bid them good bye and said we would catch them in a few days... One guy told me that he had gained five pounds since he had met us..
Some time later we caught them again along the road. We stopped and they stopped and we had a beer and some talk. They were really nice guys and they are a page in my memory................
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe
God bless our vets …..ALL GAVE SOME … SOME GAVE ALL ..
ps. Earl and his lady had their own camper
Old 05-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sometimes, when we are rough camping I like to get up early and go outside and just listen to nature. We were camped on Muncho Lake on the Alaska highway and I woke early one morning . I fixed coffee and got Gus our ''guard Pappilon'' dog and we went out side to greet the new day. It was cold in the morning and I could see steam rising off the cup of coffee. Gus roamed around and made ''shame shame'' on a bush and decided he would warmer on my lap than running around so he came over and hopped on my lap. I had taken a seat cushion out of the boat and was sitting on a large rock along side the lake. Just sitting and sipping coffee and watching the world wake up. This lake is un real in beauty. Clear, cold and just like God made it. The sun had not yet cleared the mountains to the east of us but it was a bright sunny day promised. Gus curled up and resumed his nap and I sat and sipped coffee and listen to the earth breathe.
Up on the Alaska Highway you will find the most quiet you have ever seen in one place. You can sit and listen to your heart beat in your chest …..... Yep, done that... As I sat there an eagle or some sort of large bird started making lazy circles in the clear blue sky and the sun popped over a mountain top and cast a warm shadow on me and Gus. I sat there and thought about my life. The good things He had given me, the opportunities He had given me to be a success in life. He never made it easy or hard he just made it available for me to do with as I saw fit. He gave me a wonderful wife for 43 years and then He decided He needed her more than I did. Later He sent me Willa to fill the void and make my life with living again. He gave me friends and more memories than three or folks probably have to remember. Sometimes it is good to sit and reflect on your life and remember the good things and good times. I will say this that He never made it too easy. Sometimes when I would get ''too big for my britches'' He would thump me on the head just to let me know He was still ''in charge''...As I sat there in the cold, quiet morning I could swear that I could feel Him standing behind me. Just out of reach but standing there. I dared not look around but I could feel His presence.
The squawk of the eagle brought me back to reality Gus wiggled in my lap as Willa stuck her head out of the coach and questions me as to why I was sitting on a rock, in the cold morning air with a worthless dog on my lap when she was all warm and soft and cuddly and needing a partner to help keep the bed warm......... hehehehehehhehe.
End of story …........
ps. Go to Alaska …Boon dock the road..Taste the fresh air..Drink the beauty....See the world like the big Man made it in the beginning........

Seajay the sailor man
Old 05-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
...... I guess we should take all the ''special people'' and pour them in a group and mix well .... I would be curious as to what this would produce....
Actually this experiment has already been conducted...

It started here on the North American continent in the 15th century, with the arrival of the Europeans..Before that this was a nice place, where the indigenous peoples took care of the land for future generations...

The result....

Current United States of America...

(have you been to downtown Philadelphia lately?? What an armpit! And THIS is the "Cradle of Liberty?)
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
End of story …........

Seajay the sailor man

SJ

You got me man.....

Thank you so much for that inspiration,

Pass the tissues please.
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanRV View Post
Fred Meyer stores do allow for overnights in their lots. Walmart, at least in Anchorage, does not.
Correct on both counts.

In Anchorage, there has been so much RVer abuse over the years (setting up camp in a parking lot for a week or two, dumping tanks in storm sewers, etc.) that the city code now bans Overnight RV Parking in the parking lot of any store which has more than 20,000 feet of retail space.
jobriant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Seajay, thanks for the inspirational stories. You keep this up and soon one of your trips will have RVs strung out for miles behind you trying to see the world through your eyes. My buddy John and his lady are about to depart for Germany for a fortnight and when they get back I'm going to have to talk him into moving the Alaska Run more towards the front burner.

BTW I have no idea of how many cutthroats there are in a mess but I'm aiming to find out. I hope they hit flies in Muncho because that's what I was planning.

Now for some info pumping. Did you and Willa find any of the hot-springs along the way worthwhile? Planning our itinerary on S & S 2010 we find them along both BC 37 (our route north) and the Alaska Highway (our return route) and we were figuring on doing the stop. When I figure out how to post pictures I'll get some mug shots of the terrorist twins up. Their nicknames are Rolex and Timex if that tells you anything.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
That is a wonderful area, Seajay. I've spent many days up there working (around Ft. Nelson) but never gone up there to relax. When I had time, I used to drive up towards Muncho or up 77 to the NWT...just for the scenery. Always carried my fishing gear when I was in the field. As you said, a spin-cast rod and reel with a #7 Five of Diamonds hook is all you need up here. (I am a drilling fluids "mud man", now confined to the office thanks to "promotions")
Old 05-08-2010, 01:51 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Possum, I have been to Laird hot springs on the ALCAN. They are close to the road. It has been many years since I was there, like 1970 I think. At that time they were nice and I have heard there have been improvements since. I plan on stopping in when we drive out in the fall.
AlaskanRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
BTW I have no idea of how many cutthroats there are in a mess but I'm aiming to find out. I hope they hit flies in Muncho because that's what I was planning.

Now for some info pumping.
Did you and Willa find any of the hot-springs along the way worthwhile? Planning our itinerary on S & S 2010 we find them along both BC 37 (our route north) and the Alaska Highway (our return route) and we were figuring on doing the stop.

Possum, I have no idea about fly fishing in Muncho Lake. The thing I would stress to you is that you are in lake about a mile wide and about eight miles long. On the south end is where the water comes into the lake and you may do well fishing that ''river'' with a fly rod. I have no idea about that. I have tried fly fishing in Montana and it just didnt work out for me. (see my article about ''Why I dont fly fish''..... It's here on IRV2 forums somewhere. I think in General Discussions. I am a born again spin fisherman . You will find areas along the Alaska highway where fly fishing is the natural way to go . If you boon dock you will usually be close to a stream that you can throw a stone across and it can be full of trout, Dollies, Grays and other fishes worth catching for supper. I strongly advise boon docking and fishing for your supper or breakfast and you fly rod should work fine for this ......

As to the hot springs along the Alaska highway. We stopped at them but we did not ''take the plunge'' Seems they dont allow ''skinnie dipin' '' .....
This year when we go up we are going to ''jump in'' as I recall the hot springs are in the area of ''Muck Luck Annies''Salmon bake. Free dry camping there if you eat supper with her. It is said that if you go by the ''Hot springs'' without getting in, You will have a flat the next day...... We didnt have a flat I guess because we stopped and looked. We did have a slack tire on the toad.... go figure .....

Mythplaced .... thank you so much for your kind words ....... I just call 'um like I see 'um and that was the way I saw Muncho lake area. I have had the same relative experience at Yosmite, Zion, Dead horse canyon, Grand canyon and among the Redwoods in northern California. them trees make you feel really small and insignificant.
When me and Willa travel we go slow and we try to use the back roads where practical. We have spent time watching a coyote sniffing out breakfast and we have watched a ''momma griz'' ripping a log apart while here two cubs sit and wait for the treat of grub worms. We have watched a buffalo calf cavort while momma munches sweet grass and seen a momma moose peeking out of the scrub with her calf by her side. The list goes on and on but the point of the fact is that ....''At 70 m.p.h you get to see bugs splatter on the windshield''..... At 35 you can see the real world ........
again, if and when you travel the Alaska Highway ...GO SLOW AND ENJOY.. Stop often and look and feel and smell and taste and be a part of this great land we have to enjoy. If someone gets behind you and honks just pull over and let them ''zoom by'' .... You will past that person when he hits frost heave and breaks an axel. Try to ''toot'' and a friendly wave as you pass him .......lol....
This is getting long ......
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe
God bless our vets ...ALL GAVE SOME .... SOME GAVE ALL ...
Old 05-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #27

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATMANAR View Post
To be real clear, I would never dump a black tank anywhere except in a proper dump site legal or not. I just wanted to know what the state law was in Alaska as far as gray water. I have never had to dump gray anywhere in transit even taking our time from place to place.
We camp near a freshwater river a lot of times. If you dumped gray water with shampoo and dishwater residue, it will end up in the river and polluting it as well as harm the fish. It's not the water so much as it is the chemicals you have put in the water.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #28

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Sometimes, when we are rough camping I like to get up early and go outside and just listen to nature. We were camped on Muncho Lake on the Alaska highway and I woke early one morning . I fixed coffee and got Gus our ''guard Pappilon'' dog and we went out side to greet the new day. It was cold in the morning and I could see steam rising off the cup of coffee. Gus roamed around and made ''shame shame'' on a bush and decided he would warmer on my lap than running around so he came over and hopped on my lap. I had taken a seat cushion out of the boat and was sitting on a large rock along side the lake. Just sitting and sipping coffee and watching the world wake up. This lake is un real in beauty. Clear, cold and just like God made it. The sun had not yet cleared the mountains to the east of us but it was a bright sunny day promised. Gus curled up and resumed his nap and I sat and sipped coffee and listen to the earth breathe.
Up on the Alaska Highway you will find the most quiet you have ever seen in one place. You can sit and listen to your heart beat in your chest …..... Yep, done that... As I sat there an eagle or some sort of large bird started making lazy circles in the clear blue sky and the sun popped over a mountain top and cast a warm shadow on me and Gus. I sat there and thought about my life. The good things He had given me, the opportunities He had given me to be a success in life. He never made it easy or hard he just made it available for me to do with as I saw fit. He gave me a wonderful wife for 43 years and then He decided He needed her more than I did. Later He sent me Willa to fill the void and make my life with living again. He gave me friends and more memories than three or folks probably have to remember. Sometimes it is good to sit and reflect on your life and remember the good things and good times. I will say this that He never made it too easy. Sometimes when I would get ''too big for my britches'' He would thump me on the head just to let me know He was still ''in charge''...As I sat there in the cold, quiet morning I could swear that I could feel Him standing behind me. Just out of reach but standing there. I dared not look around but I could feel His presence.
The squawk of the eagle brought me back to reality Gus wiggled in my lap as Willa stuck her head out of the coach and questions me as to why I was sitting on a rock, in the cold morning air with a worthless dog on my lap when she was all warm and soft and cuddly and needing a partner to help keep the bed warm......... hehehehehehhehe.
End of story …........
ps. Go to Alaska …Boon dock the road..Taste the fresh air..Drink the beauty....See the world like the big Man made it in the beginning........

Seajay the sailor man
Seajay, I love the way you write and think. I'm ex-Army (Desert Storm) and even though you're a squid , I'd like to meet you someday.