Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2010, 06:13 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Boondocking the Alaska Highway

Back in 05 Willa and I, in our coach and my cousin Earl and his lady Linda in his home built trailer went to Alaska. On the Alcan they talked us into doing some boon docking and we loved it. We would ''rough it'' for three or four days and then hit a campground for a ''long shower'' and a pottie dump for one night and then do it all over again. Along the Alcan there are many '''wide places'' along the side of the road. They seem to keep the road side trimmed back some one hundred feet in a lot of places and more than that in others. You will find wonderful campsights along streams and rivers that will make you cry just to see them. You will meet other campers boon docking along the way and they are always friendly and we would always ask if we could join in and they always said yes. Many would share fresh caught trout for supper and there was always a campfire in the evening with lots of talk and ''tall tails'' and the occasional Rum and Coke.
We never ever put anything on the ground except foot prints and ashes from the fire. NO TRASH, NO GRAY WATER............ NOTHING....... Sadly, we pulled into one spot and found trash and gray water dumped on the ground. We cleaned up the trash and we shoveled over the gray water dump. I told Willa that if I caught someone ''messing up paradise'' I would photograph them and turn them into the nearest ranger for prosecution.
We are heading back to Alaska this summer and we will boon dock a lot of the time. You can buy a Milepost and you will find towns with dump stations and fresh water refills.
If you have never woke up early in the morning and had coffee as a momma Moose and her calf walk by your coach, you aint lived yet..
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe
God bless our vets for their service to this great nation
ps. one more thing...... If you boon dock NEVER PUT ANYTHING ON THE GROUND. I have seen stupid people dump gray water in Walmart parking lots and in rest areas on the side of the Innerstates. I saw one guy dumping gray and he got ''huffie'' .... I told him that idiots like him spoiled it for the rest of us. He invited me to ''mind my own business'' and I invited him to have a '' aironitical intimate love session'' with himself. I took video of his rig and the dump water. I told him that I would be glad to turn this over to the powers to be and see their reaction. He left the parking lot for parts unknown. (i just hate stupid people, dont you?)
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:54 PM   #2

Quote:
(i just hate stupid people, dont you?)
YUP - the "But *I'm* special" crowd - the ones to whom NO rules apply - their personal "needs and wants" in their eyes supersede all or any rules of consideration, decency, or common sense that most others follow automatically because it's the responsible and adult way to behave with the other inhabitants on this place we call earth...

I posted a thread on this subject some time back - and the only ones finding fault with it were - those same "Special" people...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
You know Gary, it's amazing to me how many 'special' people we have in motor homes and camping all over. They are the people that park their car in the campsight next to the one they have rented in the campground. They are the people that go to the dump station to dump the tanks and walk the dog at the same time. This is a great idea if no one is waiting but most of the time there is a line and the person is gone for 15 minutes after his tanks go empty. (seen that in Florida) Of course we have all seen the person at Flyhin J that pulls up to the pump and goes inside to shop for thirty minutes even though his rig is already full ten minutes ago. (I just love stupid people)...... Another great thing is the dummie that parks in the middle of the access road to hook up his ''toad''. He dont seem to realize that you can park on the ''side of the road'' and do this just as easily as in the middle of the road.
One thing I do sometimes is take video of these people. Like the 'gray water dumper' I photograph them and wait for someone to show the video to for some kind of results. I guess we should take all the ''special people'' and pour them in a group and mix well .... I would be curious as to what this would produce....
Be safe on the road .....
Seajay the sailor man ....
One thing I forgot to mention in the above post....
BEAR PROOF YOUR CAMP SIGHT IF YOU BOON DOCK ALONG THE ALASKA HIGHWAY.
PUT ALL FOOD STUFFS AWAY AND SECURE THEM WELL. BE ALERT FOR BEARS AND PUT YOUR GRILL AWAY WHEN FINISHED WITH IT.
This is also a good idea in some of the more primitive campgrounds along the Alaska Highway. The owners will usually alert you if they have a 'friendly bear'..
Seajay the sailor man..
Old 04-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, I have seen people crack their gray tanks handle a hair and let it run out slow. Or campers with pop-ups run a hose from their sink onto the ground.
Never RV camped in Alaska, but visit family in North Pole AK. every few years. There are so many places to pull off and see nature at it best....What are the state rules as far as just boon-docking along Richardson Hi-way (Route 4) Or the Parks Hi-way (route 3)? Especially along the Richardson Hi-way, there seemed to be gravel pull-offs every mile.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #5

Seajay if you find persons "messing up paradise", go ahead and feed them to the POLAR BEARS. after all, they need to eat also.

I just got off that other website,(you know who)--it's kinda boring not seeing your name there. keep those stores coming.
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:22 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Concerning boon docking in Alaska and along the Alaska highway thru Canada I have no idea as to regulations for same. I will say this that I have camped in many places up there and have never had a problem with the proper authority concerning ''boon docking''. Up in Canada we had a ranger (not Sargent Preston unfortunately) stop by our sight and shoot the bull with us. His purpose was to warn about ''friendly bears'' in the area and to advise us on ''Bearproofing'' our camp.'' He also let us know that our British Columbia fishing license was good in this part of Alberta because the Alaska highway kinda ''wandered'' back and forth across the lines of the two provinces. He shared a marshmellow with us and wished us well.
Along the Richardson Highway, I have no idea as to regulations concerning camping. My advise is to just stop and try it. The worst thing is that you will be asked to leave and the best thing is that you will probably meet other campers doing the same thing. I do know that in the cities of Fairbanks and Anchorage they have put in some city ordinances concerning ''overnight'' .... Remember this .... It has been five years since I was up there so things change.....
I am fairly sure of this. To my knowledge you can no longer overnite at Fred Mayer stores and Walmart stores in Fairbanks any more. It seems there is a city ordinance concerning this now. The last time we stayed for ''free'' at Fred Mayer'' it costed me about 700 dollars for a ring Willa saw ''on sale'' and she just 'had to have it'. So much for free camping ....... Check with the management before sleeping there is my advise.
Anyhow...... Drive the Alaska highway. Go slow and stop often and listen to the silence . Listen to the Earth Breathe and if you really try ,,,,,,,, YOu can hear God walking around in his heaven early in the morning ......... Been there ,,,,, done that ..............
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our vets for their service to this great nation ....
Old 04-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am in Arkansas and the state allows gray water dumping at the state and corp parks as long as you run it off from the camp site. I'm sorry but I see nothing wrong with this. I lived in a stick house here for over 30 some years and we always run washwater off in the yard or garden without any ill effects. Is it against the law to run gray water out on the ground in Alaska? I'm not takling about rest areas or parking lots, but out in the country...
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:39 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
With respects to you FATMANAR here is the way I see it.
When I travel in the coach I am a guest in someones state, province or country. Being a guest, I want to be a good guest and be welcomed back sometime in the future.
Along the Alaska highway there are many places one could dump gray or even black water without possibly doing harm but the way I see it is that this water will eventually filter down to the stream where I catch my trout for breakfast and I dont want ''pooo'' with my trout.
Another thing is that bears are very ''smell sensitive '' and may just wander into your camp to ''check out the new odor''...... If they decide to stay for breakfast you could be in real trouble.......
The way I figure it is this.
I brought it in with me so I will take it out with me. Alaska/Canada is one of the last ''pristine'' places on earth that you can drive your coach thru and I will try on my part to keep every inch of it just like I found it.
I say this with all respect to you and your opinions concerning same.

Seajay the sailor man
Old 04-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To be real clear, I would never dump a black tank anywhere except in a proper dump site legal or not. I just wanted to know what the state law was in Alaska as far as gray water. I have never had to dump gray anywhere in transit even taking our time from place to place.
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Seajay,
You need to post that picture. If it is in a public place there is no intent on privacy and any pictures you take can be made public as long as you do not profit off of them. I'm no lawyer, but that is what I have been told.

Think Paparazzi. And they profit$$$.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:25 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wayne, that video was made in Whitehorse back in 05 and finding it would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack.
Here is the ''long and the short of it''. I think that we, each as campers, should abide by our own convictions as to our actions taken while camping. I further believe we, as campers, should be responsible people and consider ourselves ''guests'' in any environment we may pass thru or stop at in our travels. We also should be willing and ready to take any conviction for our actions while traveling.
My rule is ''LEAVE IT AS YOU FOUND IT''..... I leave ashes from the fire and my foot prints on the ground. I will further say this ....... You could probably dump gray water almost anywhere along the Alaska Highway without result of any kind but there are rangers up there that will check your camp and there are bears that will ''sniff'' a new smell and come to investigate the source.
Enough said. My advise is GO DRIVE THE ALASKA HIGHWAY...GO SEE ALASKA... GO DRIVE THE CANADIAN ROCKIES. Look and smell and listen and touch that great land and you will not be disappointed.......If you are disappointed with your trip let me know and I will send you ten cents to help defray your costs for the journey..
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our vets for their service to this great nation ......
Old 04-06-2010, 05:48 AM   #12

... as the wise saying says... take only photographs and leave only footprints...
Old 05-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
To my knowledge, you may NOT dump grey water onto the ground in Alaska. Even if you could, I would not suggest it. One tank of grey or even black would not be such a "big deal" but muliply that by thousands and see what you get. Alaska has a lot to offer and we welcome visitors but please leave it as you found it or better.

Fred Meyer stores do allow for overnights in their lots. Walmart, at least in Anchorage, does not.
AlaskanRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Seajay, thanks for the picturesque post of your trip to Alaska. Denise and I plan on doing that trip sooner or later also. The travels in BC have lead to spectacular scenery and fun times. I would like to think the vast majority of RVers think as you do but alas there are just enough idiots out there that we all end up being tarred by the same brush.

Looking forward to seeing the trip your eyes have witnessed.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote