Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
boon docking

Last year we were boon docking at a 24hr wal-mart we were out of water went in for supply's around 6am asked the manager if we could fill up are water tank from the garden department he said no problem. p.s cracker barrel rules for boon docking also a must have resource when your out and about.
http://www.rvdumps.com/

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 11:48 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
All these ideas are good.

Our situation is this. Our water tank is 100 gallons. Our grey tank is 60 gallons. Our black tank is 30 gallons.

We can only seem to go about 4 to 5 days on our black tank.

So this issue for us when traveling is to know when and how to be able to dump the black tank.

Campgrounds work if we want to pay that kind of money for a night. Flying J is another good one.

Any other suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:49 AM   #17

I typically use two 20L water cooler tanks that are mounted behind the drivers seat and have a water line from them to the sink with an old style manual pump.. we buy filtered water on the road for a few bucks..

that is the drinking water... we can fill the stock tank for cooking / cleaning water...but not often as I need to run the pump...

On the North West Coast two little house batteries last a week with LED lights and no water pump and the kids TV and charging things... no heat or cooling needed typically...

But we are backpackers and know how to make water last....
Old 04-08-2015, 08:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
All these ideas are good.

Our situation is this. Our water tank is 100 gallons. Our grey tank is 60 gallons. Our black tank is 30 gallons.
We can only seem to go about 4 to 5 days on our black tank.
So this issue for us when traveling is to know when and how to be able to dump the black tank.
Campgrounds work if we want to pay that kind of money for a night. Flying J is another good one.

Any other suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

Jim
Papa_Jim
We generaly use free dump stations which can be found in the rest areas and the state parks in many states... and/or at Army COE (corps of engineer) parks.
However where free dumping is not available we pay to dump at a Flying J or other truck stop.... or stay overnight in a commercial RV park and dump there.

See also: RV Dump Stations

Mel
'96 Safari, 140k miles
Old 04-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #19

There are several apps for your smartphone for finding dump stations, both Apple and Android devices; I know the Allstays app has a dump station finder.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use rvdump.com
Old 04-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by buynow43 View Post
We use rvdump.com
I think it's missing an "s". Try RV Dump Stations
Old 04-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
oops

Your so right thanks

Rvdumps.com
Old 04-10-2015, 12:15 AM   #23

There are a couple of sites that have huge lists of public and private dump points and many of those are free to use. Hardly ever need to pay for what the rest of the travelling public get for free.

Sanidumps: RV Dumps, Sani Stations, Dump Points a comprehensive directory is one
Old 04-10-2015, 12:22 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We usually try to boondock for two days, then hit an RV park to dump and resupply although we have used rest area and Flying J too. Just depends on how critical the need is.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Download the walmart over night app to find out where to stay.
Down load the Cabelas app. They have free dump stations at most of there stores nation wide.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #26

Our Open Range has an 81 gallon freshwater tank and black and grey water tanks of 40 gallons each. If backcountry boondocking on BLM/Forest Service areas (if you can call "camping" in a 34' 5th wheel boondocking), we carry up to six x 6 gallon Jerrycans so our problem is black and grey water. Protocol in some BLM areas is that dumping grey water is permissible through a water hose (grey water only). Our "outside" shower has both hot and cold water faucets and we shower outside if we are quite secluded. This is pretty much permissible on all public lands.

I got all excited about the Rvdumps.com site and told it to Elaine. She quietly let me know that she has had this app on her I-phone for years.

The Open Range allows water to be drawn in using the onboard pump at about 2 gallons/minute. Carrying those 6 Jerrycans allows us to go to FS campgrounds and fill up with potatble water ( Latin pōtā (re) to drink + -bilis -ble - Google in my hands is like handing an open can of paint to a 5-year old).

We have RV'ed four years in Mexico and the RV parks do not allow TP to be placed in toilet. We have stayed with this protocol and this means that black water tank is not filled nearly as fast, and we never have clogging problems.
Reed and Elaine
Old 05-26-2015, 07:21 AM   #27

I just got a new to me 93 jayco. Someone had changed the fresh water tank out and put in a much smaller one. I dont know how much it holds I just know that my old 5er we could camp 4 nights take multiple showers, wash dishes and what ever and have water to spare. My new one just washing dishes and flushing the toilet we are out in 3 nights.

My solution is I am going to mount a 35 gallon barrel in my truck. I tried this out last weekend. IT worked nicely except I cant gravity flow the water. I need a pump or my other idea I am going to try to put a valve stem in the barrel and pressurize it with my little 12 volt air compressor. I don't need the barrel full when I leave home I can fill it any where. I wish I had taken pics last weekend but I will take some soon. I need to have it perfected by the end of next month. We will be boondocking for 5 days. We have plenty of room in our grey tanks and black tank to hold the extra waste water.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fix up a portable auxiliary 12v water pump to pump the water into the Rv tanks. If it wains, capture rain water off awning and use it. Don't fidget to use filter.

Tags
boondocking, water