Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #1

Cool Boondocking Water

Forgive me if this is a "newbie" question, or if it causes everyone to roll their eyes, but we're getting ready to go full-time and was wondering....where do you go to get water if you're out boondocking and the water needs to be filled? Do you go to a campground for a night, dump and fill everything? Hook the water hose up to a strangers house at 2AM? Buy 50 one-gallon bottles at Wal-Mart? Thanks in advance!
RonandBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #2

Yes. All of those things work. I would be cautious about the stranger's house though. ;-)

Consider that your need to dump controls the rest. If you consistently run out of water before one of the tanks fill up consider adding a container of water or two to your supplies. In general any time you dump you can fill up. Sometimes the water is less good than other times in which case you might also want to buy some that tastes good. It is also handy to keep a few gallons on hand in case the tank runs out and you need a bit to flush or drink before you get to the dump station.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Some of the boon docking areas have water and honey wagon trucks that travel around and for a fee dump your tanks and fill the fresh water. Probably at the more densely populated boon dock areas. Have to check.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #4

Thanks! So I really wasn't overthinking the issue. For some reason I thought it would be a bit different than that, such as trying to find a gas station that still provides water (maybe showing my age a bit there), or maybe getting a big funnel and doing a rain dance.
RonandBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:56 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many folks check into a CG for a day or two every week or so. Dump tanks, fill water, do laundry, shower, etc. Can be cheaper and/or easier than paying for the services individually. A good use of Passport America to find CG and save some more dollars.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:19 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Capturing rain water from your awning or gutter spouts into containers is one way. Then using a portable electric water pump to pump the water thru a filter into your coaches water tank.

There are many ways to conserve water and ways to avoid filling your grey tank. But that is another topic.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The water tank will most likely last longer than the gray water tank. It will be the first to fill. So you will most likely need to dump before you run out of water. Most get creative in shower or dish water to flush or water plants at night to extend gray water tank. We can do about 10 days of booning before we need to dump. Then it's to a camp ground with laundry for from over night to a week of long hot showers and clean cloths, the fill and dump before leaving.

LEN
Old 03-03-2015, 07:17 PM   #8

Boondocking Water

The question was asked "do you drink from your inboard tanks?"

The honey truck struck me. Would you drink from inboard tanks filled by a honey wagon.

Not me... I'm not fond of putting anything in my potable tank that I don't know it's source or the cleanliness of the person filling their tanks. But I'll drink from them if I filled them.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
The question was asked "do you drink from your inboard tanks?"

The honey truck struck me. Would you drink from inboard tanks filled by a honey wagon.

Not me... I'm not fond of putting anything in my potable tank that I don't know it's source or the cleanliness of the person filling their tanks. But I'll drink from them if I filled them.
Water trucks and honey wagon trucks are not the same truck. Water services are generally certified and be posted "potable water only".
Old 03-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonandBee View Post
Thanks! So I really wasn't overthinking the issue. For some reason I thought it would be a bit different than that, such as trying to find a gas station that still provides water (maybe showing my age a bit there), or maybe getting a big funnel and doing a rain dance.
RonandBee

An occasional overnite in a campground works best for me.
However I have often filled my freash water tank at other locations...(gas stations, friends houses, and once at Cracker Barrel restaurant for example).
Mel
'96 Safari. 137 k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #11

It sounds like major difference may be where you are boondocking. There are many places where one can dry camp or boondock that do not have services. There are a few places that have a lot of campers so they have enough customers to make it worth having water and honey wagon services.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:48 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have carried a 30 gallon water barrel, now it's two 15 gallon barrels of water for extended dry camping. Lots of businesses will let you fill those or even your camper if asked, just look for an outside spigot. I always offer to fork over a few bucks.

Holding tank capacity is always another issue, the world is my urinal and the outdoor faucet/shower helps keep them from filling.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #13

The only places we've ever camped that offered a "Honey Wagon" or water truck were Quartzsite and Burning Man. Both those places could be considered "Target-Rich Environments" , so it made sense. Other than in places like those, it's not very common, at least out here in the west.

We boondock for weeks each winter in and around Death Valley National Park. Even there, I've never had a problem finding a place to fill my water tank. I can always find an RV Park or Trailer Park with a dump station available for a nominal fee. Usually, a potable water refill is part of the deal. If not, another couple bucks gets you on your way. Practice conservation and avoid unnecessarily filling your gray water, and you'll be surprised how long you can last.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:21 PM   #14

Hi all. We stop at flying J. When we need to.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Margar3t1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, water