Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Hold the phone--you cant plug the remote charger into a "non-inverter" circuit when boondocking--guess I am not understanding what a "remote charger is????????
PS--luck is a stange thing, even with good luck, you can be the first on your block to lose your rig to a frig fire. Realize the technology has been around for years but the idea of using an open flame in my rig to heat ammonia to cool my soda is troublesome to me.....
Not talking about a remote 'charger.' This is a wireless automatic gen start device made by Onan. There is a receiver and a remote transmitter. The remote transmitter is mounted somewhere in the coach and the charger for the battery in the remote must be connected to an outlet that is not on the inverter circuit. That is how the remote senses loss of AC power and knows to start the genset. The device monitors house battery levels, temperature inside the coach and can sense the loss of shore power.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #16
OK--that makes more sense but still not sure I follow completely. If set to do so, my inverter automatically comes on in the event of AC power loss--of course none of this applies if you are boondocking. If the AC power outage continues, the auto-start feature monitors bat levels and as the bats are drawn down by the inverter, the AGM triggers the genset to start. The Duotherm A/C thermostat also has a built-in AGM function that will start the genset if A/C power fails and your temp setting calls for cool or heat [heat-pump]. Again, AC power failure is not a "start criteria" if you are boondocking.

Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #17
Yes we boon-dock.
960 watts of solar
660AHr battery capacity.
Magnum 2800 pure sine wave.
Rig has a standard 7.5K generator, which if needed we can use, however we have a Yamaha 2000 as a backup to the solar. I use the link to calculate battery and solar

BatteryStuff Knowledge Base | Tools
Dale&Susan, 08 Alfa Gold, DaGirlsRv,
KoKo(Rainbow Bridge)&Della(Rainbow Bridge) 08 Jeep Liberty_Solar_940W Solar_660 AmpHr
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #18
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are fulltimers and boondock 90% of the time. Most residentials require 10-15 amps at startup and 2-3 amps running.
We have an AGS system , 735 AH battery bank, 630 watts of solar, a 3000 watt MSW inverter.
This set up has served us well and we are starting on our 5th year fulltime.

Harold & Linda
2009 CT coachworks siena 35V
W22 Workhorse 8.1L. Explorer Sport toad,
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote

boondocking, fridge