Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #1

Camping east side of yellowstone

Hello everyone,
Been to Yellowstone twice but in rental car and now want to drive it with new fifth wheel. I know it's a haul from Illinois, but taking 17 days off and want to go next summer. Advice on decent places to camp outside of park. Maybe Cody or Jackson area. Have gene, electric nice but not deal breaker.
Advice please.
Thanks!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2016, 02:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Buffalo Bill State Park outside of Cody is nice as well as the Shoshone National Forest.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know about Cody. But we camped at the KOA in Red Lodge. The KOA was not much but we liked red Lodge and the drive over the Bear Tooth mountains was spectacular. It would be a tough road for a big rig but it's a great drive in a car or small TT. You end up at the north entrance in a town called Cookie, I think.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:56 PM   #4

If you are short on time and want to do many drives through the park for multiple days, Cody or Jackson is too far. Yellowstone is huge. To do it justice you have to break it up in sections and do a small portion daily.

I would recommend that you get a site at Fishing Bridge RV in the park itself if you need hookups. If you don't need hookups there are many campground in the park to choose from, Madison is very nice. Even moving to different areas of the park a couple times during your stay would be a great experience. It doesn't take that much effort to pack up and move, especially if you don't have a lot of stuff outside. Here's the park website. Explore it for campgrounds, road information, things to do, and 'Alerts' like the present fire alerts.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

I would also recommend saving at least 2-3 days or more for staying in Grand Teton Nat'l Park which is next door to the south of Yellowstone. Both are completely different in looks and things to do. The Tetons are awesome for hikes of all abilities - to waterfalls and small lakes. Take a gentle raft trip down the Snake River in the park and you might see a moose in the water with you. We did! For the Grand Teton, Colter Bay RV is the one for hookups. There are dry campgrounds, also. We enjoy Gros Ventre campground - no reservations but rarely fills as it has 300 sites. Open view of the mountains and moose walking around.

Here's the website:

https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/camping.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:11 AM   #5

Absoroka in Cody upon arrival than up toward East Gate (50m) and stay at a Forest Service CG along the route. Some are reservable and a few even have electricity at site. The drive between Cody and E gate is amazing.
Newton Creek NFS site 3 (no hu) was beautiful, $15.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:40 PM   #6

We stayed at fishing bridge,and it was a good move! Not much of a campground,small sites no fires ect.would, but that's not why you go to Yellowstone .We drove anywhere from50 to one hundred miles a day, and didn't see everything! The place is amazing.
Nice thing about fishing bridge is that it is pretty much rite in the middle of everything,and it's easy to get everywhere in the park
Old 09-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
x3 on Fishing Bridge. Tour bus will pick you up right at the campground - lower loop one day, upper loop next. Ride bikes to Ystone Lake or the campstore.

But you'll have to make your reservations as SOON as they open up in February!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would recommend Grant, Canyon or Madison over Fishing Bridge. Fishing Bridge is OK and has electric, but it's basically a parking lot. Plus, no campfires! You have a genny, so you can top off the batteries every morning. Canyon is pretty much centrally located. Check out Campsite Photos, Camping Pictures, and Campground Reviews - campsitephotos.com for photos of all the Yellowstone campground sites. The only thing is that you usually can't pick the individual site when reserving thru Xanterra, who runs the campgrounds.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #9

I agree that both Buffalo Bill and Gros Ventre are too far from Yellowstone but both are nice campgrounds. Fishing Bridge is centrally located but as mentioned, is not much more than a parking lot. Very small tight sites, no fires and I don't remember having a picnic table but after looking at the features and driving around all day, I didn't miss the fire or the table.

We could not get into Fishing Bridge or anywhere else for that matter this year so we wound up at Grizzly in W. Yellowstone and drove into the park. It's a long drive to anywhere in the park but shorter than from the east or south entrance.

Ditto on Teton NP. It's amazing. You could do Teton from Gros Ventre and you are close to Jackson as well. There are NF campgrounds that are close to some of the entrances but it's a long drive once you're in Yellowstone to get to many of the attractions.

If you decide to stay in Yellowstone, make your reservations ASAP.
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
Rauc-A-Bye Farms

We stayed in Island Park, ID. Several campgrounds just outside the park. Less than 20 miles out. 1/3 the price of being right next to the park. Several beautiful places to explore in Idaho.

Happy Motoring
Don
Old 09-07-2016, 11:09 PM   #11

I'd hardly call Fishing Bridge a parking lot. It has lots of trees. I've seen many RV parks much worse. You park on the site and park your vehicle next to your RV, not in front of it. You're going to be out driving the park all day and come home exhausted so you won't be using the site that much.

Fishing Bridge RV Park
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I'd hardly call Fishing Bridge a parking lot. It has lots of trees. I've seen many RV parks much worse. You park on the site and park your vehicle next to your RV, not in front of it. You're going to be out driving the park all day and come home exhausted so you won't be using the site that much.

Fishing Bridge RV Park
"Parking lot" is a bit harsh but the sites are small. One doesn't stay at Fishing Bridge for the the camping experience!

I don't think those that have never been to Yellowstone realize how big it is. Because of the traffic and "jams", it can take hours just to go a short distance. If there is an animal in view of the road, traffic stops and people bail out to get pictures. Depending on how many tour buses pull up at the major attractions, it can take some time to get through. There are several side roads that are interesting and shouldn't be missed and many attractions are not right by the road and requires walk time to get to.

Where ever one stays though, Yellowstone is worth the time.
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:55 PM   #13

Camping around Yellowstone

I think others have accurately described Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone. We happened upon the Ponderosa Campground in Cody. We loved it. Its within walking distance to everything in Cody. The drive into Yellowstone is spectacular. If you are going to other locations the Colter Bay
RV is spectacular. Bring blocks to help you level. The Tetons are much more beautiful than Yellowstone in My opinion. On the north side of Yellowstone we stayed at Yellowstone edge in Emigrant Montana. Friendly family run place with all the hookups. I wish I was going back there.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
When we stayed at fishing Bridge, we just took our camp chairs into the woods which divide the campground segments and sat and read when we were resting. ( Small RV, no TV, we read...)

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping