Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
camping places

Hi all Well when you want great places come here right!
When you are traveling in a state you are not familiar with how do yo know where you can boon dock?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryegal
When you are traveling in a state you are not familiar with how do yo know where you can boon dock?
Look online and call/see the local forest service or BLM office. Those 2 steps usually work for us. Even if I find something online I always call the local office to double check rules, access and road conditions. The local office will also have more detailed maps.

Here's some online resources
http://freecampsites.net/ - free campgrounds
http://www.freecampgrounds.com/ - free campgrounds
http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en.html - BLM site
http://www.uscampgrounds.info/ - great site for all public parks

Old 08-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #3

On a recent 2 week trip I boondocked 3 nights in different Cracker Barrel parking lots. They're normally more convenient than Walmart since they are typically close to the interstate. I even had to have AAA change a bad tire in one lot. You always want to ask a manager first because there are certain parts of the lot they do not want you to park in. Each night they have a truck unload a load of their supplies so you typically have to park at one end or the other of the lot. Parking in the middle of the lot can cause problems but always ask a manager. I also boondocked one night in the parking lot of a small museum in Ohio. I was photographing the museum's contents and I was unable to finish by closing time. The young lady in charge seemed happy to let me spend the night there.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
On a recent 2 week trip I boondocked 3 nights in different Cracker Barrel parking lots. They're normally more convenient than Walmart since they are typically close to the interstate. I even had to have AAA change a bad tire in one lot. You always want to ask a manager first because there are certain parts of the lot they do not want you to park in. Each night they have a truck unload a load of their supplies so you typically have to park at one end or the other of the lot. Parking in the middle of the lot can cause problems but always ask a manager. I also boondocked one night in the parking lot of a small museum in Ohio. I was photographing the museum's contents and I was unable to finish by closing time. The young lady in charge seemed happy to let me spend the night there.
With all respect, you cannot BOONDOCK in parking lots. You can overnight, or park, or rest in parking lots, but cannot BOONDOCK.

Some kind of remote and/or secluded spot is required to BOONDOCK.

Ed
Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have overnighted in parking lots of banks, churches, shopping centers and large retail stores. For boondocking I look for Federal land -- US Forest Service, BLM, etc. But don't forget about friends and family. I spend summer at my daughter's, winter at Mom's, and stop along the way inbetween to stay on friend's driveways and back acreage.

The beauty of RVing is that you are a GREAT houseguest because you don't need to stay in their house.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #6

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Look online and call/see the local forest service or BLM office. Those 2 steps usually work for us. Even if I find something online I always call the local office to double check rules, access and road conditions. The local office will also have more detailed maps.

Here's some online resources
Free Campsites - free campgrounds
Free Campgrounds for RVs - free campgrounds
BLM - The Bureau of Land Management - BLM site
ALL US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS: STATE PARKS NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS MORE california oregon washington new york pennsylvania more - great site for all public parks
Great Advice!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #7

The "Gypsy Journal" publishes 3 must have publications for RV'ers.

1. Free or under $10 camp grounds.

2. Fair grounds with campgrounds. (Not during fair week)

3. Sewage dumps. (also on the net)

Check your road atlas. It shows places to launch boats. I stay there as long as it is a rural area.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is also Allstays.com They list every kind of campground, fuel stops etc. They even have a free app for your iphones. It's worth a look.

http://www.allstays.com/
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryegal View Post
Boondock or spend the night? They're not the same thing.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #10

The federal and state agency websites are usually the most complete and up to date. The websites like allstays.com and the Woodall's directory do not provide adequate detail in my experience. For example the allstays.com shows for the San Luis Reys reservoir near where we live "20 sites, Tents". Not a lot to go on. Actually there are four separate campgrounds in this state rec area. Much better information on the state websites where for this same campground it states "Fourteen undeveloped camping/picnicking sites are located along the shore Los Banos Creek Reservoir. Each has a shade ramada, table, and stove. There is drinking water and chemical toilets".

Good idea to check the completeness and accuracy of the information of any source with places in your home area before trusting them on the road. Even with the states we visited in the west this past fall the destruction of the US economy by Wall Street and the resulting budget cuts have impacted the rate at which government recreational websites are being updated. Some that showed as open were actually closed and sometimes the opposite with closures delayed due to the efforts of the surrounding communities that needed the dollars brought into the area by tourists.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #11

I use the DeLorme TOPO Mapping program, is has all state and federal land shaded in different colors so you can see potential Boondocking areas at a glance.

Ed

Tags
camping