Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #1

Can you connect different voltage PV panels?

I have one 240w 36v solar panel running through a Morningstar 45 MPPT controller. I have just acquired a 130w 17v panel that I would like to add to my 36v panel. Does anyone see a problem with this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Hmm....dont think that you can mix two different voltage panels. It would be like connecting a 6 volt and a 12 volt battery together.
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

Morningstar or one of their dealers should have the answer for that.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I think you would have to get another controller for that one panel, and then you could connect the outputs together at the battery bank.

joe
Old 06-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I think you would have to get another controller for that one panel, and then you could connect the outputs together at the battery bank.

joe
Two answers: Answer 1: Ditto (Joe got it)

Answer 2... You would need protective diodes to make sure the higher voltage panel did not back current the lower voltage, and the lower voltage panel would never actually output current save for the very odd case where it is in full sun and the higher voltage panel is not.

Suggestion: use Joe's suggestion (2nd controller) and hook it to the CHASSIS battery.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can wire them in series. You have to make sure the controller can handle the higher voltage, which it probably can. You would have the current capacity of the smaller amperage panel.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
There is a good discussion on Solar Electric Power Discussion Forum by Northern Arizona Wind & Sun
I have two panels with a similar difference in voltage and for the lower voltage panel I went with a separate PWM Steca controller, and it plays well with the Morningstar MPPT. One of the Morningstar Sunsaver PWM would also be a very good choice, (I got a real steal on the Steca)
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #8

I say yes, if in series, and the controller will allow it and probably will as it's MPPT. Consider this - I have a 24 volt battery bank, and get this by series wiring 4 6 volt battery's. At each interconnection the voltage is different, being 6,12 18, and 24 volts, and each stage does not know if the stages prior to it is from 1,2, or however many battery's, it only knows the voltage. Same thing with panels, you wire them the same as battery's! Say you use the higher voltage leading into the lower voltage panel, the lower voltage does not know how many panels, or of what voltage is prior to it, and adds it's voltage. Done. It may not be the best producing string overall, but it can be done. I'd do it, and test the results because electrically, it's fine! IMHO Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote