Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
It's my right to park and stay inside my rv home where I choose, in my country and state of residence.

Why stop there?

Speed limits, why do I need to drive at just 65mph? My vehicle was designed and built to run well over 100mph all day long.

I'm a responsible person, I should be able to consume alcohol anywhere, anytime I like.

I own land, I should be able to do anything I want on it, repair and / or paint cars, sell heavy equipment, convert it to a sawmill / lumber yard ..... Just because I'm surrounded by million dollar estates shouldn't infringe on my 'rights' should it?

Freedom does NOT mean there are NO rules or regulations, it means you have the right to elect the government by popular vote and hold the elected officials accountable for their actions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #30

Quote:
It's my right to park and stay inside my rv home where I choose, in my country and state of residence. To say the parking laws are there to prevent litter is not a good argument - there are already laws against littering and dumping. There are also laws against noise, obstruction and other problems. The fact is people don't see the value of having rv's in their community or parks and you support them. Fact is I put money into every local economy I visit, yet I'm not welcome to stay, even if walmart or kmart welcome me. Wake up. Maybe you're happy in your retirement park but not everyone wants to rv like that.
While you may have the "right", at least in your opinion, to park and camp anywhere you want, I also have the right to not see every big box parking lot looking like a Good Sam Samboree or worse. All RVers put some money into the local economy, the question is how much and what percentage of the local budget is that money? The bigger question is, does the benefit outweigh the actual and perceived drawbacks? Many communities don't feel the payback is worth the cost and that is their right. So you spend $100 in a community and the local government gets what, 10% of that in taxes? Are you really worth all of the hassle for a mere $10? Some communities have said it is not worth it.
You say everyone does not like to RV like the people in the retirement parks and I get that. I also support your right to RV any way you like as long as you don't infringe on other people's rights to not have to put up with your RVing in their communities big box lots, or anywhere else RV's could congregate. You have no right to force your lifestyle on others and you need to recognize that fact.
RichH

aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #31

There are parking regulations everywhere.

When I last was in Pasadena, the neighborhood I visited had signs prohibiting overnight street parking.

I visited a friend in San Leandro recently and their neighborhood prohibits all on-street parking.

One neighborhood over from where I am prohibits parking vehicles over 20' in length.

Most downtown San Francisco streets prohibit parking during rush hour.

Downtown Oakland limits parking from one to two hours during business hours, even those without parking meters.

All these regulations may inconvenience some people, but aren't there just on a whim. They address needs of the communities.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #32

I'm afraid the days of the covered wagon rolling across the prairie, then pitching camp where ever you end up that evening are long, long gone!

A romantic notion for sure, but way out of sych with modern society. Way too many people on the planet for that.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #33

Quote:
If Walmart says it's ok for me to park in their lot, why should some local law stop me?
If you're parked in a Walmart lot and someone tries to break into your RV at 2am who do you call? Police? Who do those police officers work for? Who pays the salaries of those police officers?

You're painting a definitive line between private and public that does not exist.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #34

Quote:
It's my right to park and stay inside my rv home where I choose, in my country and state of residence.
Actually, no it isn't your right and there is no specific statement in the Constitution that gives you that right.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan View Post
Actually, no it isn't your right and there is no specific statement in the Constitution that gives you that right.
You do have the right to freely travel anywhere in the US. On the other hand there hasn't been a SCOTUS case that confirms you have the right to stay overnight on open public land.

If someone with lots of money wants to create a case and take it all the way to SCOTUS please do. I'm sure everyone will give you their moral support.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
You do have the right to freely travel anywhere in the US. On the other hand there hasn't been a SCOTUS case that confirms you have the right to stay overnight on open public land.

If someone with lots of money wants to create a case and take it all the way to SCOTUS please do. I'm sure everyone will give you their moral support.
I'm not questioning the ability to travel freely across the United States. His post specifically said the right to park and sleep where he wanted. That is what I was responding to.

Actually, this issue has already pretty much been settled. The most famous case can be read online and it involves a case that went to the Supreme Court of Ohio. The RV side of the case lost and they attempted to pursue appeals all the way to the US Supreme Court and they refused to hear the case which basically let the state supreme court of Ohio's verdict stand as legal precedent.

In the end, they ruled that local govts have the power to regulate for the public health, safety, morals, and welfare. All they have to do is frame the ordinance in a way that it achieves one of those legitimate purposes.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #37

Quote:
It's my right to park and stay inside my rv home where I choose, in my country and state of residence. To say the parking laws are there to prevent litter is not a good argument - there are already laws against littering and dumping. There are also laws against noise, obstruction and other problems. The fact is people don't see the value of having rv's in their community or parks and you support them. Fact is I put money into every local economy I visit, yet I'm not welcome to stay, even if walmart or kmart welcome me. Wake up. Maybe you're happy in your retirement park but not everyone wants to rv like that.
As long as you own the ground under your wheels and it's zoned for residents you are correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Did you ever think that maybe there are laws like what you mention for a reason? It isn't to "tread on you" as you suggest. Rather it is to keep people from creating situations that create blight among other issues.

Are you going to pick up all the beer cans and trash left by people that can just park anywhere? Are you going to pay the higher taxes to support the extra police or security patrols? Are you going to like parking where a previous RV just dumped their black tank? People abuse, destroy and disrespect far too often to allow a free for all as you suggest.

As mentioned before, you are whizzing into the wind
Old 02-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #38

Im with the op. We need more places to park.

Ps if you dont agree with the op do so with respect.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
FB, it looks like you would like to see an application of "The Original" Golden Rule.

Sadly, the "NEW" Golden Rule is usually in effect. You know, "He with the the most Gold Rules"

Even in the best of cases, Liberty is fragile. The boundaries of your liberties extend only to the boundaries of my liberties. Laws have wrestled with those boundaries for millennia, and will continue to in the future due to human nature.

Some folks just don't want to have to look at this:

Why didn't you stop in for a beer when you took a picture of my place?
Old 02-05-2017, 09:51 PM   #40

A simpler more concise wording of signage would be......no parking within a givin set of hours. Otherwise, what constitutes overnight? I might be inclined to park for 6 and move 1/2 block and 6 more....of course I am a stubborn one.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:34 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
FB, it looks like you would like to see an application of "The Original" Golden Rule.

Sadly, the "NEW" Golden Rule is usually in effect. You know, "He with the the most Gold Rules"

Even in the best of cases, Liberty is fragile. The boundaries of your liberties extend only to the boundaries of my liberties. Laws have wrestled with those boundaries for millennia, and will continue to in the future due to human nature.

Some folks just don't want to have to look at this:

Now that is a thing of beauty and a Joy to Behold!

... And that's the problem with subjective judgement calls. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Example: My wife seems to like me pretty well, but what if "Some folks" (as you call them) quit liking old fat guys? ... In their world, I'm screwed!
Old 02-05-2017, 11:05 PM   #42

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Having been a property owner and an RV owner, I understand both sides. A lot of people say "it's my right under the constitution" but never really take the time to fully read or understand it. Whatever is not dilineated in the constitution is reserved to the states. States have the constitutional authority which they delegate to counties, cities and towns. They make laws, ordinances, regulations to govern as their constituents see fit under the enumerated laws. You have a right to peaceably assemble, but you must petition for that right with the local government. Free speech is not absolute. Violence is not free speech. Shutting down others free speech is not free speech.

This goes down to any contractual level such as IRV2's rules. Break them and you can be censored. I don't like the 10 year rule at parks or businesses. I don't have a leg to stand on to over turn it. But I can publicize it and try to cut into their business as a consequence of their rules. Just like you have a right to stay out of communities that won't let you park on their streets. Just be aware that this growing community must act as a civilized and responsible group or more places will see us as a negative and further restrict options.

Would it be great if cities and towns provided a section where we could park for rest (rest stops for example) for public safety - yes. So far most don't see the need. Like someone above said - start local. Get one town to section off a place for weary travelers. But I wouldn't expect city governments to get into FHU arrangements as it does impact on other private businesses that provide those services (interferes with competition).

Some of what you seek is possible, but the minute it turns from a public benefit to "my right" you lose the argument.