RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #1

Champion 2000 watt portable

I am dry camping right now and on 3 1/2 days my batteries are depleted. I have 80 watt solar but it's cloudy and rainy.
I'm looking at the above genny and wondered what everyone's experience might be

Jgriff1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2019, 10:56 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
80 watts of solar will do practically nothing to keep batteries charged. You need almost three times that just to begin trying, and that's if you're extremely careful about energy use.

If it's an inverter gennie, buy it. If it's open framed, it will be VERY LOUD. If you have an 11K BTU air conditioner, it will probably run it if there is nothing else being used at the time.

When I'm charging my batteries with a generator, I use a four stage stand alone battery charger because the converter/charger built in to my trailer is not a good charger, it's only two stages.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #3

I had a 3500 Champion that worked fine but a little noisy. I used it for the air conditioner power also when dry camping.
Now, with the new TT I use a Westinghouse 2200 genny and I'm quite happy with it. Be sure you have a battery charger in your rig that will bulk charge in the 30 amp plus range for at least 3 hours in order to get any decent recharge of your house battery. The 8-10 amp 12v "charger" off the Champion won't be near enough.
If its a WEFCO power center in your rig you won't be happy with any genny as they are designed to charge at a low rate while hooked up to shore power. Maybe 6 - 8 amps after a few minutes running. You'll have to run the genny all day long. I put in a 40 amp Xantrex battery charger and I'm very pleased with it. I can run my genny 2-3 hrs and recharge about 90% or more of full charge with the Xantrex.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #4

We have an 80 watt portable solar panel and typically get about 25 amp hours a day when sunny. We aren't power hogs and I estimate we use 30-40 AH per day unless running the furnace a lot so yes, 80 watts isn't enough to fully charge the batteries; however, it certainly stretches out the time before needing to run the generator. We have a Westinghouse iGen 2500 and also replaced the WFCO converter with a Progressive Dynamics model which provides must faster charging.
John Pattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgriff1954 View Post
.....I'm looking at the above genny and wondered what everyone's experience might be
I've had good look with the Harbor freight 3500 inverter gen. It's about 100 pounds though. It should run any single RV air conditioner.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-w...tor-63584.html
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Have had a Champ 2K for many years now, red not yellow(!!) just to spite the H owners!!! Has been flawless, starts easy, and just as quiet as my sons H was. Don't use it for AC, we camp mostly in cool NW forests, so not complaining that it won't run AC!!

As to solar, we had 350 watts, just added 150 for 450 total. Last year the 300 was almost perfect, only used the gen when real cloudy or rainy. You need more solar!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Solar
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #7

What's your opinion on a Firman W2100i gennie? I'm not going to be needing it for A/C as we are on Vancouver Island and don't worry about the heat.

Thanks for all your previous answers
Old 05-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgriff1954 View Post
What's your opinion on a Firman W2100i gennie? I'm not going to be needing it for A/C as we are on Vancouver Island and don't worry about the heat.

Thanks for all your previous answers
All of the off brand generators are about the same. Low cost knockoffs of big names.

Any one will do what it claims to do. Longevity and parts avalability can be questionable.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuquala View Post
Have had a Champ 2K for many years now, red not yellow(!!) just to spite the H owners!!! Has been flawless, starts easy, and just as quiet as my sons H

X2 Awesome genies for almost half the price with equal if not better quality than price gouging "H" or "Y". Had a pair of these with the parallel kit great combo flawless. Now have dual fuel 3400 on propane exclusively. Still have original 3500/4000 open frame from a decade ago starts first pull.

Champion is developing a dual fuel 2000 stack-able.

- Jeff
Old 05-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #10

I had a 1200 Watt Champion. Incredibly reliable. A bit loud, but not horrendous.

The Champion never missed a beat, starting at 9 F with one pull. Snow, rain, hail. No problem. But it was a modified sine wave generator and ruined a couple power supplies in my computer gear and a soldering iron. It also ruined a charge controller in my Mac Book Pro 17". Not an easy fix.

That was hard lesson on modified sine wave equipment since I didn't know right off why my equipment was sporadically dying. I wouldn't buy anything other than a reputable pure sine wave generator. Honda or Yamaha. Or find someone who has tested the generator you want to buy with an oscilloscope to measure the sine wave output to verify it is good/pure and not dirty/modified power.
diginomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginomad View Post
I had a 1200 Watt Champion. Incredibly reliable. A bit loud, but not horrendous.

The Champion never missed a beat, starting at 9 F with one pull. Snow, rain, hail. No problem. But it was a modified sine wave generator and ruined a couple power supplies in my computer gear and a soldering iron. It also ruined a charge controller in my Mac Book Pro 17". Not an easy fix.

That was hard lesson on modified sine wave equipment since I didn't know right off why my equipment was sporadically dying. I wouldn't buy anything other than a reputable pure sine wave generator. Honda or Yamaha. Or find someone who has tested the generator you want to buy with an oscilloscope to measure the sine wave output to verify it is good/pure and not dirty/modified power.
Your point? Construction generators run at continuous 3600 rpm producing 60hz purine sine wave power. Inverter generators at run at variable speeds producing 60hz pure sine wave power.

What did you do to break your generator?

- Jeff
Old 05-15-2019, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
Your point?

What did you do to break your generator?

- Jeff
My point went over your head and I didn't break the generator. It worked as designed from the day I bought it to the day I gave it away.
diginomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:12 AM   #13

several years ago i got a westinghouse 2400i for under $400 and it is great. i just checked the prices for westinghouse and they sure have jumped and maybe it is because lowes and home depot sells them now. the 2400i starts the 3-4 13.5k a/c units i've tried it on but ymmv. with luck i can get a 32-40 inch tv to run at the same time. a hard start capacitor should help if your a/c doesn't run.
turnleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #14

Thanks for everybody's help. I purchased the Firman 2000. Lowes had a great price and reviews were like the rest of the Non H & Y gennies.

Now I will have to see if the WFCO in my TT will charge it ok. If not then I will use my NOCO 3500.

Here's what WFCO states is in my TT.

Nominal voltage output modes are a 13.2 VDC range “float” mode, 13.6 VDC range “absorption” charge mode, and a 14.4 VDC range “bulk” charge mode.

Being that I know very little of what the above means I continue to read and learn.