Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
The generator works harder when your running on propane (At least with heavy loads like the A/C)
Propane is also a high-octane fuel with a research rating of 110 octane and a pump octane rating of 104.
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2018, 09:18 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Octane doesn't make up for the lower energy density than gasoline.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ener...ty?wprov=sfla1
Old 10-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #17

I didn't read your link. I can tell the difference with propane and gasoline by listening to my genny when it's running with a load. As I said I love having the option to run both. But it works easier with gasoline then propane
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:38 PM   #18

Natural Gas???

Could I substitute a natural gas quick connect into the demand regulator if I were to drill out the nozzle orifice? Any idea as to orifice size? I figure about a #27 drill.
joe1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Octane has nothing to do with energy density. Octane is used to measure resistance to engine knock.
RoadDogYVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:49 PM   #20

I recently bought the same generator. I had a splitter that put on the tank of our TT so one side goes into the TT and I can run a second line to the generator. My question is the generator seems to struggle when I put a ten foot extension hose on to move the generator away from the TT.

Have you had this issue with your setup?
Ricker991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricker991 View Post
I had a splitter put on
Not using built in RV quick connect propane.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:39 PM   #22

I know this thread is a bit old but it's so on point with my situation I'd like to pose 2 questions.

What is the reason to keep and utilize the large diaphragm looking device on the oem propane hose? Once you have removed the regulator to install a quick connector, what's the point of the large piece?

Why not just use a length of hose (8-10ft) with a male quick connect on each end? One end to the rv and one end to the generator.

Thanks
Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
I know this thread is a bit old but it's so on point with my situation I'd like to pose 2 questions.

What is the reason to keep and utilize the large diaphragm looking device on the oem propane hose? Once you have removed the regulator to install a quick connector, what's the point of the large piece?

Thanks
Mike

That is the propane engine. It's what makes it work. I removed the regulator because the RV all ready has one on the tanks.

- Jeff
Old 06-30-2019, 06:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
That is the propane engine. It's what makes it work. I removed the regulator because the RV all ready has one on the tanks.

- Jeff
Hi Jeff

Thanks for the reply. I have the same dual fuel champion generator. When I use the propane hose from champion and use a stand alone propane bottle the genny runs properly. But then I bought a 10ft hose with a male quick connect on each end and connected the genny to the rv. The genny won't start. I disconnected the end of the hose at the genny to check and there is a strong stream of propane coming through the hose. I was wondering if the diaphragm you left on your hose was "needed". I agree the rv has already "regulated" the pressure from the two 30lb tanks. That's why I thought my straight hose should work. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks
Mike
Old 06-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #25

Quote:
I bought a 10ft hose with a male quick connect on each end and connected the genny to the rv.
Quote:
I was wondering if the diaphragm you left on your hose was "needed".

Mike, STOP. Do not attempt this.

- Jeff
Old 06-30-2019, 08:46 PM   #26

Quote:

Mike, STOP. Do not attempt this.

- Jeff
Why? Many do it
On the road . . . with AirMiles - Page 3 - Airstream Forums
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
He is adamantly trying to do it with out the crucial propane engine. What he is calling the diaphragm. He connected a straight through hose from his RV quick connect to his generator!!! Did you not read this?

- Jeff
Old 07-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #28

Quote:
He is adamantly trying to do it with out the crucial propane engine. What he is calling the diaphragm. He connected a straight through hose from his RV quick connect to his generator!!! Did you not read this?

- Jeff
Jeff

Maybe you read too fast.
I said I have the dual fuel generator.
That means I have what you call the "CRUCIAL PROPANE ENGINE."

I think you don't know what the large diaphragm is for. It's probably just the second stage of a 2 stage regulator. You removed the first stage, ONLY. But Thanks away. I'll ask elsewhere.

Mike

Tags
fuel, propane