Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:37 PM   #15

I have this model <LINK> and it is very quiet under load. The open frame generators are not for campgrounds.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #16

Had someone with the champion 3400 camping with us last week. It was a lot louder than I expected at idle. Sounded like a pair of Honda 2000's at max load. Yes the champion is cheaper and lighter than the Honda 3k, but it's at least 2 times as loud if not 3. And it was about 4 times as loud as the 6500 I was renting!

Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
We basically always run the waterheater on propane if boondocking or in a low power situation (in fact its on propane right now, we're only on a 20amp circuit lol)

It pulls a lot of AC power and Propane burner ->Heat is WAY More efficient Than off the generator: Gasoline -> Engine -> Generator -> Electric element -> Heat.

I find my Champion 2800watt to be too loud as well under load... I am totally jealous of the little EU2000's which are practically silent from inside. Obviously they don't have nearly the watts and power isn't free...

I did just get this in my inbox which is interesting....57db? hmmmm

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-W...tor-63584.html
I have one of these..57 db..rv ready...elec start..super quiet and not the honda price...sale price with coupon 650
Old 09-13-2017, 05:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
We basically always run the waterheater on propane if boondocking or in a low power situation (in fact its on propane right now, we're only on a 20amp circuit lol)

It pulls a lot of AC power and Propane burner ->Heat is WAY More efficient Than off the generator: Gasoline -> Engine -> Generator -> Electric element -> Heat.

I find my Champion 2800watt to be too loud as well under load... I am totally jealous of the little EU2000's which are practically silent from inside. Obviously they don't have nearly the watts and power isn't free...

I did just get this in my inbox which is interesting....57db? hmmmm

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-W...tor-63584.html

Hi, yes, you should question the rating. There is no industry standard. Honda measure their ratings at 7 feet; the vast majority of other manufacturers measure theirs at 21 feet. Big difference.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 09-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubastevee View Post
Hi, yes, you should question the rating. There is no industry standard. Honda measure their ratings at 7 feet; the vast majority of other manufacturers measure theirs at 21 feet. Big difference.

Cheers,

Steve
The harbor freight 3000-3500 inv gen is 57 db at 23 ft...@25 percent load and it really does nor get much louder under load...i have a 24" unit and running this i can bearly hear it from front of MH...Highly recommend...
Old 09-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmassman View Post
The harbor freight 3000-3500 inv gen is 57 db at 23 ft...@25 percent load and it really does nor get much louder under load...i have a 24" unit and running this i can bearly hear it from front of MH...Highly recommend...
And at $650 you won"t need to run 2-2000"s..just saying...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Well your rig is 50A
That is 6000W per leg----12,000W total

Those 3400W Champions at best put out 3100W full throttle
6200W total
So YES you need to 'power manage'

Swap water heater to propane and limit inverter load so batteries do not need as much charging (what is on the inverter?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The parallel adaptor kit that Champion sells uses a standard 50 amp 240 volt outlet, but states that it only supplies 50 amps at 120 volts. It's splitting the 50 amps to both hot lines in the plug.

That's half the power of a campgrounds 50 amp, 240 volt power post.

As mentioned, you need to manage your power.

A single Honda eu7000 may have been a better fit, certainly quiter.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #21

<"The harbor freight 3000-3500 inv gen is 57 db at 23 ft...@25 percent load and it really does nor get much louder under load...i have a 24" unit and running this i can bearly hear it from front of MH...Highly recommend..."

I have one too. So far, great generator. Runs the 15k BTU air conditioner just fine.

I have had a couple other 'Predator' generators for awhile. No problems.

They are made by 'Loncin', and sold by that name in most of the 'other' world.
IMHO: Pretty good engine supplier in China... they make motorcycle
engines for BMW (and other makes).
Old 09-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post

Yep, didn't do the math on it. Not an issue, mostly concerned with running both AC's, which it will do.

I'm more disappointed in how loud they are under load. But, didn't want to spend the $$$ on the Honda's, so I'll live with it.

Mostly posted for anyone researching generators to see my thoughts.
I had the pleasure of camping beside the brother in laws friends camper a few weekends ago. They decided after a day and a half they needed to top up the batteries. They fired up a Champion 6000. You couldnt hear yourself think. I offered to start the genny in my coach and let them plug in. This way my batteries would get topped up and we could at least talk to each other. When you buy one of these loud gennys, you are not the only ones who have to live with the decision, so do your neighbors.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I had the pleasure of camping beside the brother in laws friends camper a few weekends ago. They decided after a day and a half they needed to top up the batteries. They fired up a Champion 6000. You couldnt hear yourself think. I offered to start the genny in my coach and let them plug in. This way my batteries would get topped up and we could at least talk to each other. When you buy one of these loud gennys, you are not the only ones who have to live with the decision, so do your neighbors.

So the next question then is, what brand model of generator do you recommend / endorse?
Old 09-14-2017, 05:06 AM   #24

Can't go wrong with a honda inverter genny. We rented a 6500 for construction and you could hardly hear it from 20 ft away. 5 gallons of gas lasted two days running all day.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #25

>"So the next question then is, what brand model of generator do you recommend / endorse?"

Well, I guess take your pick.

$650 for a Predator.
$800 or so... for a Champion.
$2,000 for a Honda or Yamaha.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:40 PM   #26

Sorry guys, I gotta say, we're comparing a 6000 watt open frame construction generators to inverter generators?! Do we also watch CNN!!!???

- Jeff
Old 09-14-2017, 06:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightzone View Post
>"So the next question then is, what brand model of generator do you recommend / endorse?"

Well, I guess take your pick.

$650 for a Predator.
$800 or so... for a Champion.
$2,000 for a Honda or Yamaha.
For the money and the quiet factor and the 3500 predator....All depends on your own requirements
Old 09-15-2017, 08:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
Sorry guys, I gotta say, we're comparing a 6000 watt open frame construction generators to inverter generators?!
This is an important observation. I have the Champion 3100 inverter generator and it is as quiet as my friend's 2000W Yamaha inverter generator. Yes, Champion also makes open frame generators but they are designed for construction sites, not campgrounds. Comparing one of these to the Honda or Yamaha inverter generators is apples to oranges.

Tags
generator