Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #15

Get a first class battery charger from Sears, NAPA or someplace and hook it to your Honda. Using the 12v from the Honda is like .... You know what into the wind☺️ I'm just saying...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 12:14 AM   #16

update on the project;

I am finding an auto alternator is not a particularly good battery charger in its basic form as well as a couple of other "rules" of charging.

The alternator (like in your vehicle) only has 1 voltage set point in its voltage regulator system. It is designed to only have to charge a battery that is barely less than full (from starting the engine), not charging a very discharged battery like an RV battery. Set point too low (< 14.6) and battery really never gets fully charged. Set point too high (> 14.6) and battery will need water frequently from gassing.

Quality battery chargers have several different set points (bulk, absorption, float, de-sulfacation, etc)

However, I found a wealth of information on sailboat forums which have the same charging issues as RV's (engine batteries, house batteries, batteries not fully charged). One of their "fixes" is a alternator external voltage regulator that acts like a quality battery charger (has several set points and is computer controlled and battery temperature controlled). It is like having a quality battery charger (60 amp charger in my case) as your stock alternator.

Deep cycle batteries should never be recharged at more than their C/10 to C/20 with C being their amp hour capacity. A group 27 is about 95 amps, and therefore should not be charged more than 9.5 amps / hour to 4.75 amps per hour and cycle through all 4 charge rates as necessary.

To get the right amps / hour charge rate with a gas powered alternator charger is mainly engine and alternator pulley selection.

I have the hardware attached and connected, waiting for the external alternator voltage regulator (from England), getting the control circuits wired up and should be "charging" by the end of next week.

Bob Weis

Old 11-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #17

Got the alternator regulator installed. This thing works perfect. Uses about 1/2 pint of gas / hour (Honda is running about 1600 rpm). 6 gallon boat tank good for about 48 hours of charging time.

When I start charging a low battery there is a load on the alternator and the rpm drops to about 1400 rpm. As the battery charges rpm slowly increases back to 1600. Because the Honda is basically in idle or slightly above it is very quiet. Without any sound blocking not obtrusive from about 100'. A sound house around the Honda could reduce that significantly.

So far I have run it 4 times primarily running the refrigerator for about 4 days prior to departure. Once at home when I needed to open all slides, the motor was obviously not fully powered, hooked up the alternator charger and slide motors ran with plenty of power.

I think boon docking you could run off battery all day and recharge it in about an hour maybe two per day.

Very satisfied with the gas powered alternator concept.

Bob Weis
Old 11-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #18

We have taken our 5th wheel through Mexico and Belize and have run into extremely "dirty" power, the voltage can run from 85 to 140 V in minutes.

Our son designed and fabricated our current solar system so that if we do have to use line power, we do it through a 15 amp cord to a permanently installed 1.5 kW high quality battery chargers (Mean Well Stage Switching Mode Battery Chargers). That is, the AC power goes to the batteries and the batteries power the DC directly (48 V nominal battery bank to 12 V nominal cabin DC) and the 120 V AC is developed through the 4.0 kW PSW inverter. We tossed the 50 amp cable a year ago and about to toss th 30 amp replacement since we have not used it for 18 months.

We do have a 1.0 kW Honda which we have trialed and gotten 0.9 kW charging rate into the battery bank. As posted on other threads, we do have 1.4 kW of panels and about 9.6 kW-hrs of LFP (4 x 12 V batteries in series). We are currently mootchdocking at daughter's in Las Cruces, NM. Currently the skies are absolutely blue and solar insolation is great - we are charging at 887 W)

Attached is photo of front bay. The two battery chargers are to the right in the photo. Photo was taken before wiring was finished

Reed and Elaine
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
ctcamper I turn off all electrics in the camper and use adapters to my honda gen with the power cord and let my 3 stage charger do what it can in the alloted time ( most campgrounds limit the amount of time to run gens ). Even with the quiet honda campers in a tent next door will not like it.

Not sure what is meant by 'use adapters'.

Would you explain?

Thx
Old 12-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used the 12 volt out on a portable generator to power a lamp, but never as the primary charger of a battery, simply not enough output and no regulation so if it does get it full up, it does not know to stop.

The 3-stage converter on the RV has none of those issues, it can do like 10 times the output, if needed, and it knows when to stop.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
Not sure what is meant by 'use adapters'.

Would you explain?

Thx

I think he meant the adapters that allow you to plug a 50 amp RV cord
into a 20 amp receptacle. The little Honda generators just have a 15 amp
receptacle
Old 03-02-2015, 09:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumOleBob View Post
Get a first class battery charger from Sears, NAPA or someplace and hook it to your Honda. Using the 12v from the Honda is like .... You know what into the wind☺️ I'm just saying...
Bob, this is an idea I have been thinking of for a long time but I can't get any information on the safety factor of maybe damaging something on the motor home. The motor home we are buying will have 4-6 volt batteries with a converter to power the 110V appliances and I thought that if I could power a commercial grade 6V charger with a small Honda generator and charge my batteries, it would be a lot cheaper than running the 5500 watt Onan on the motor home. I feel like I am missing some vital information on charging the batteries this way.

Thanks for your feedback and any other feedback I can get.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstansel View Post
Bob, this is an idea I have been thinking of for a long time but I can't get any information on the safety factor of maybe damaging something on the motor home. The motor home we are buying will have 4-6 volt batteries with a converter to power the 110V appliances and I thought that if I could power a commercial grade 6V charger with a small Honda generator and charge my batteries, it would be a lot cheaper than running the 5500 watt Onan on the motor home. I feel like I am missing some vital information on charging the batteries this way.

Thanks for your feedback and any other feedback I can get.

You would want to use a 12 volt charger as that is how the batteries are wired together.

BUT

It's not really a great idea because most converter chargers are capable of 40 or more amps of current. For only about $250 upgrade your setup and get a progressive dynamics converter charger that is 60 amps. Battery chargers sold at auto parts stores and the like are NOT 3 stage chargers meant to be permanently connected....and they usually are far less powerful.

Better to get a solar system to charge your batteries if you don't want to run the generator.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #24

Get some good info from Handy Bob

Thee are several very good internet site filled with the info you'll need. The one I use is HANDY BOB. ( That suggestion will likely start a war on this site). Anyway, you'll get a ton of good info, but read through the entire site.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com
Old 03-03-2015, 12:14 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumOleBob View Post
Thee are several very good internet site filled with the info you'll need. The one I use is HANDY BOB. ( That suggestion will likely start a war on this site). Anyway, you'll get a ton of good info, but read through the entire site.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com

HandyBob knows his stuff and tells it like it is.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #26

Charging battery with Honda Generator

To do what you want to do will take a charger like this one

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1425396624.588887.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	87608

It charges 12 volt batteries at 60 amps....don't pay attention to the "crank assist" amps, you don't use that when charging. This will take at least a EU2000i Honda to run it, even then not sure as the Honda max is 16 amps at 120v. The Honda will be running at max throttle, so it will be using close to 0.33 gallons per hour.

You would need to save 400 gallons of diesel to pay for the Honda and the charger....and that just puts you EVEN. (Before you save any money). 😃

If you already own the Honda and a automotive type battery charger, try it out and give us a field report......on paper the figures don't seem to work favourably.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #27

I am not looking to charge batteries from the Honda generator. What I would like to do it take a Honda 1000EU generator or if necessary, a Honda EU2000 generator to supply power to a 6 volt commercial grade battery charger and charge 6-6 volt batteries on a motor home. My primary question is, can I hook up to the 6 batteries with an external commercial grade battery charger and charge them without fear of damaging any of the electrical wiring or electronic components of the motor home? I know I can run a commercial 30A battery charger off a EU1000 and it will run for several hours on much less fuel than using the house 5500W or 7000W generator charging the batteries. If I find the EU1000 struggles to supply power to the commercial battery charger, I will move up to the EU2000. Even with the EU 2000, I will save a lot of fuel versus the house generator. I am just seeking ways to do this safely without damaging any motor home components. If anyone has tried this, I would appreciate any feedback. If anyone can see a negative side to doing this, I would appreciate your point of view.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #28

Nobody charges at 6 volts, in a 12 volt system.

Are you going to move the 6 volt leads from battery to battery or have 12 leads comming from the charger.

A typical commercial charger does not have any kind of voltage regulation. Once the batteries are full, the volts will climb to an unsafe level. Just put a volt meter on the charger cables and see.

I run a 3 stage 55 amp IOTA charger ( it draws 10 amps ) with my Honda eu2000. ( they put out max, 13.5 amps ) When the batteries are low, the Honda revs up, almost to max.

I am sure your 6 batteries are set up as 3, 12 volt banks, so charging at 12 volts is simpler.

6, 6 volt batteries in series, parallel, or any configuration, equals about 600 AH. Run them down to 50% and you need to put back 300 AH. A 50 amp charger will take over 6 hours.

You would be better off running a 100 amp charger off your MH generator, for an hour and a half, twice a day.

You asked.