Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemoores View Post
On a serious note, it saddens me to see people laughing at other campers because of they way they want to spend their leisure time...

I'd like to fulltime one day (maybe 10 years from now), but when I do I hope I'm not one of the people smugly laughing at the worker bees.
You should read my post again. No smug laughing there. In fact, we see our former selves in them and they remind us why we chose to live a simpler life. If you find it offensive, that's on you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #30

It all depends.

IMHO, the limiting factors for just about any rig would be top height, ground clearance, and length. Width is somewhat standard. Smaller is better.

Gravel roads come in many flavors also. I would agree wholeheartedly with those who say, when in doubt, check it out....with the toad.

Our first hard side campers were 4wd diesel TC,s. Excellent for traction but still limited by height, good ground clearance, but limited somewhat by the overhang of the 11.5' camper. IMHO, those are the most versatile of hard side RV's.

A few years ago we bought a 26' Flair. It has the same limitations as the TC with much limited traction, as I learned a few years ago in the muddy/gravel campground we were in. A few months ago we bought a 30' Monaco Dynasty that has less ground clearance and more overhang. I am keeping both MH's until we determine which meets most of our needs best, boondocking "off road" is one of those. Instead of a Jeep we tow a Geo Tracker which does about the same job, but is lighter and gets better fuel mileage.

My thought would be to use the RV you have now as a base to determine how other RV's would function under the same circumstances. The same limitations would apply to it. Take it some of the places you would consider going with a class A.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:05 AM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've not really off roaded our unit yet but I have noticed a couple times, pulling off to the side of the road, if there are a lot of big dips that put the front and rear of the coach at opposite angles, there is a fair amount of "twist" in the chassis and thus up through the body.. I've had storage compartment doors pop open under those circumstances.. Granted, in the worst occasion, we were being diverted around the Chico California wildfire last year and I was uncertain about the direction I was to take and didn't want to head somewhere that I'd not be able to turn around (with toad) so I pulled off onto a pretty rough cutout where some highway workers were positioned and that's when the doors popped open.... It was probably as rough as any road you'd ever want to put a diesel pusher on... I'd also be concerned about how much dust/debris you'd suck up into the radiator/cc combo!

Sure looks like fun though!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SC40QS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:47 AM   #32

My problem is not the road conditions, it's more so if I meet another MH or truck with TT or 5th wheel who is going to have to reverse half a mile.

I would get my wife to go ahead in the toad with a walkie talkie if it looked very narrow.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:02 AM   #33

I love my converted school bus , no worries about ground clearance, built like a tank with all the comforts of home, boondock anywhere , favourite fishing hole down a bush road to quartzsite
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCM View Post
If you and your MH can survive the road (I use the term "road" loosely) going to Chacho Canyon NM then you can go anywhere. Went in from the West, out the East side and it was BRUTAL both ways. I have no fear of going cross country now.
I'd like to take our 24 foot Class C to Chacho Canyon. We have taken our Class C on the Monument Valley floor road that was signed as "Not Recommended for RVs". We just took it slow and careful and had no real problems.

I wonder if the Chacho Canyon road is worse?
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
We may not fit everywhere, but we do enjoy the places we fit...

XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:46 PM   #36

XBoater: The Badlands?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:58 PM   #37

Whats the call on the twin tower AM in the background?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Yup, in the grasslands just outside the NP. As to the OP, location is a big factor in boondocking, harder on East coast for sure. Just takes more research, but they are spots. Also for bigger coaches, the first draw back is electric. As equipped from factory with residential fridges, need daily infusions of electric. I set generator on auto to cover that, usually 2 cycles of 90 minutes daily. We can easily go 7 days with normal water use, 14 with rationing. Most coaches have more holding capacity than fresh water. Fun to do when I find a spot, but comfort was the reason I bought this beast first and foremost. The off grid ability grid was a factor, hence propane instead of all electric, but not kidding myself it is more at home in a resort than wilderness. But nice to know I can of I find the right spot.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:26 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Love the big tanks in our DP so 7 days without cutting back on anything is easy...about as long as we'll stay in one place. I'll do a couple miles (after checking it out in the toad) of washboard but that means I'll have to do those miles many more times in the toad as we do not sit around camp. 10 miles out of the way is about my max...currently 5 miles out of Durango with the last 2 washboard.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 30' Bay Star is well built for uneven and broken roads. Rarely find sites where at all 4 wheels are still touching ground after leveling. I just don't try driving in or crossing steep gulleys/washes along the mountain dirt roads.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:54 PM   #41

Many people take class As boondocking. They don't have the clearance of a 5vr, but as others pointed out, scout first.

We take our 5vr to some very remote places, that you would think only a 15 ft camper could get to. I can tell you that the forest scratches paint on a class A just as well as any other RV.

When we get to a restriction point for the 5vr, and want to camp further, we pull out the old chuckwagon and leave the 5vr behind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0773.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	260489  
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #42

We have a fifth and have had many great long weekends with it as well as the annual vacations. Found it comfortable and had very little damage both to the trailer or its contents. Yes the truck is large to get around town in but not too bad. I kinda like idling through the campground with the diesel muttering as we return from sightseeing. However I must admit we are planning on replacing both for a DSDP sometime this year. Then we will be going full time. A toad and a couple of bikes for exercise. Lol.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, class a, motorhome