Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #1

Lightbulb clean water filter

I have a good freind who always fills the water tank using two filters one is a 5 micron rock filter the other is activated carbon. I always thought it was over kill but what the heck i'm not buying the filters.
Her pump went out and I helped repair it and I found a lot of slime in the pipeing and pump, who knows what's in the water tank.
I bring this up because I use the camp gnd water which is normaly clorinated and shock my tank and pipeing once a year with bleach to kill all them there bugs.
i think if you dont like the clorine remove it at the sink with one of those little filters.
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #2

PS

the carbon filter takes out the clorine leaving the water ready to grow bugs
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I use a 1 micron sediment filter between the coach and shore water after having sand/grit in our shower & sink in some locations. But I agree that I definitely want chlorinated water in my tank and plumbing system. We have a drinking water filter under the galley sink that filters drinking & ice maker water. We use our fresh water system for everything we used water for in any house we ever lived in, and we use the tank water regularly. If someone is using a charcoal filter before the water enters their coach, they are removing the chlorination, and what you saw in your friend's coach is an example of the fact that they likely need to be sanitizing their water system once or twice a year at the least. Seems to me it is smarter and less trouble to just let the chlorinated shore water supply do the job for you. ...oh, and I have not needed to "shock" or sanitize my fresh water system since we started fulltiming 5 years ago...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #4

Filtering your water is not a bad idea and neither is cleaning out your system. I clean mine every season before camping the 1st time. I need to clean out the antifreeze anyway. One thing to remember is that the more you use the system the less you actually have to clean it. The little buggers really don't like flowing water they want it to sit. so if you let you Rv sit a while i would recommed flushing out the system and maybe adding a biocide but if you are using it every day you can hold back a little on the chlorine or other biocide. Now that applies to city water if you are getting water from a lake or stream you need to filter, boil or treat the water to kill critters there.
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #5

johnboy you are exactly right. If chlorine removal is desired it should be accomplished at the faucet point. To remove that "slime" from the fresh water system this link has the directions: RV Lifestyle - RV Resources, Fulltime RV Expenses,RV Checklists, PDI Checklist, RV Tax Information, RV Homeschooling, RV Travel Logs.
Afterwards, the fresh water system may be sanitized using directions on the same webpage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #6

We also use 2 filters -- the sediment only at the inlet and a carbon from the tank/city connection to the inside plumbing. This allows chlorine to get to the fresh water tank on a regular basis. We also sanitize (chlorinate) the fresh water -- hose->tank->piping 1-2 times/year.
Techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
City super chorlonated where I was parked and I'm still trying to get the bleach taste out of the tanks. I use one charcoal filter at the inlet to the MH and a Brita inside