Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #1

Coffee maker quits working only on generator power

I can't figure this one out....

One of our luxuries when boondocking is to fire up the generator and use the electric Cuisinart coffee maker in the morning as the inverter can't handle the load which draws down the batteries pretty quick. We normally run everything off solar.

This has been working fine for the past couple of months but all of a sudden power at the machine quits as soon as I fire up the genny.

I've tried plugging the coffee maker into different 110 v outlets, none of them start the coffee maker when on genny. Other 110 appliances work fine on inverter and generator. The coffee maker does not have any sort of reset button.

Any ideas why this is happening?

canuckdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 10:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I assume that your generator is some model of Onan QD possibly the QD-8000 KW model.

If that is so, that generator is an Inverter type model versus the 10 KW & !2 KW which are true 240 VAC model constant velocity type generators.

Is it possible that the Crusinart coffee maker does not like that type of power?

Maybe a call directly to talk with an Onan Technical representative would answer your question.

Have you done any research into the Crusinart coffee maker model to see if there is something strange with its electronics that are causing this phenomenon?

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 01-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckdave View Post
I can't figure this one out....
One of our luxuries when boondocking is to fire up the generator and use the electric Cuisinart coffee maker in the morning as the inverter can't handle the load which draws down the batteries pretty quick. We normally run everything off solar.
This has been working fine for the past couple of months but all of a sudden power at the machine quits as soon as I fire up the genny.
I've tried plugging the coffee maker into different 110 v outlets, none of them start the coffee maker when on genny. Other 110 appliances work fine on inverter and generator. The coffee maker does not have any sort of reset button.
canuckdave
That is strange indeed.
I will be following this tread closely.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #4

Have you checked the voltage output of the generator.

If it is a bit too low or high, maybe the coffee maker is sensitive to that.

Beg, borrow or buy a voltage tester.

If the voltage test low, change the fuel filter.

We must have our coffee !
Old 01-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It may be something as simple as the coffee pot is bad. Only one way to test that theory. Plug it in. Also, check voltage at plugs with Genny running, could be slightly low.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #6

In my previousl mh everything worked on the generator except for the microwave. It was getting power, the lights would come on, but the keypad was non responsive. Worked great on shore power. Checked the gen output and it was "normal" in the 126 volt range which from what I'd read was acceptable. I adjusted the gen down a bit, and voilą the microwave started working properly.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does the display work on the coffee maker when the generator is on?
And if it does, does it keep correct time.

Two things that can affect it are voltage and frequency. Since it is a rotating generator, the waveform shape will be OK.

There are no special requirements for a heating element, but the coffee maker has a microprocessor which may be fussy on its DC power.
The DC supply inside the coffee maker may have a problem if the freq. or voltage inputs are off.

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Get a "Kill a watt" you can read voltage and frequency from the Gen or any incoming power. Also can read wattage, how much power, any plug-in appliance uses.

LEN
Old 02-01-2016, 12:56 AM   #9

Plug the coffee maker into a known good outlet other than the mh, if it works that would rule out the bad coffee maker.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a similar issue with our Tassimo coffee maker, and it's due to the fact that power from a generator is often "dirty"...essentially meaning there's a lot of noise in the wave length. The coffee maker has a micro processor that is sensitive to this noise (exasperated, no doubt, by a poorly designed AC to DC power supply circuit within the appliance that does a poor job of filtering). The solution for us has been to turn off the generator while making coffee (running off AC power supplied by the inverter from the batteries) and then turning it back on when we're done. The dirty power issue can also affect appliances or devices with capacitive touch screens...a friend found this out when attempting to use one to control his media system.
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I think we lost the OP so we may never know what the actual cause happen to be for his brand of coffeemaker.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-02-2016, 10:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I think we lost the OP so we may never know what the actual cause happen to be for his brand of coffeemaker.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Sorry, I'm still here. I haven't been able to try plugging the coffeemaker into regular AC power as we will be boondocking for the next few weeks. I kind of like the theory promoted by ABrask in that the generator produces dirty power because the coffeemaker was working just fine for a couple of months, then quit working on generator.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Does the display work on the coffee maker when the generator is on?
And if it does, does it keep correct time.

Two things that can affect it are voltage and frequency. Since it is a rotating generator, the waveform shape will be OK.

There are no special requirements for a heating element, but the coffee maker has a microprocessor which may be fussy on its DC power.
The DC supply inside the coffee maker may have a problem if the freq. or voltage inputs are off.

Regards,

Dan
When the coffeemaker is running on inverter, LCD readout works fine, when generator is started, LCD readout quits suddenly.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:51 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckdave View Post
When the coffeemaker is running on inverter, LCD readout works fine, when generator is started, LCD readout quits suddenly.
That confirms "dirty power". Actually there us a dc power supply inside thd coffee maker.
Anyone with a faur amount of electronics knowledge could add filter caps indidd to clean up the noise defore it gets to the electronics.

You can buy AC line filters on ebay for about $10. If you have room inside thd coffee maker, you could wire it in series with tha ac.

Needs a 3 wire cord on maker.
Regards,

Dan

Regards,

Dan

Tags
generator, power