Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #1

Composting toilet - Black tank delete?

Getting ready to install a composting toilet into my single axle TT. It is pretty weight limited and has weird tank sizes. Fresh 19G, grey 30G, and black 30G.

My thought was to install the composting toilet then remove the black tank. I would be able to use the black tank vent to vent the composting toilet. Then plumb the urine diverter into the grey tank.

My concern is that I will crater the resale value of the trailer or make it attractive to boondockers only. The trailer has solar and lithium batteries so it is pretty awesome for boondocking.

Thoughts? Have others removed their black tank after going with a composting toilet?
wankel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2018, 05:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Getting ready to install a composting toilet into my single axle TT. It is pretty weight limited and has weird tank sizes. Fresh 19G, grey 30G, and black 30G.

My thought was to install the composting toilet then remove the black tank. I would be able to use the black tank vent to vent the composting toilet. Then plumb the urine diverter into the grey tank.

My concern is that I will crater the resale value of the trailer or make it attractive to boondockers only. The trailer has solar and lithium batteries so it is pretty awesome for boondocking.

Thoughts? Have others removed their black tank after going with a composting toilet?
I don't know why you want to do this, but if you don't need the black tank why not re-plumb it for added gray water
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
I don't know why you want to do this, but if you don't need the black tank why not re-plumb it for added gray water
Mainly to save weight. My trailer is right at gvwr. While having 60 gallons of grey storage would be great my trailer would be way over weight if I did that.
wankel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:18 PM   #4

Your RV will be very difficult to sell without the black tank.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:33 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Your RV will be very difficult to sell without the black tank.
Just as difficult to sell a RV with a compost toilet... very very limited...if not a totally non-existent re-sale market....
and toting poop in a bucket is not my idea of fun....and where will you dispose of said squeeze-dryed human waste that in some areas is classified as bio-haz-mat?

Think everything totally thru ...... before going the "green" route...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:26 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Realistically it makes little difference. Trailers have very little resale value anyway. But why a composting toilet? How likely is it that you would fill the black and gray tanks before you are able to dump them if you have just 19 gallons of fresh water?Seems like figuring out how to add fresh water capacity is your limiting factor, not waste.

Fresh water and room for grey water are the most common issues that limit boondocking trips. You already have half that battle beat.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #7

I think you cut down your chances of selling your camper privately if you go composting toilet and remove the black tank. Not many want that and with the black tank gone, there is no option left but to put more money into this camper after purchase. Not something I would buy ever but that is personal observation.

You could easily trade it for another rv later down the line, but you won't get as much (which might or might not make a diff. to you!) cause the dealer will say it will be a hard re-sale on their lot. People want the black tank option for sure.

Just know if you go this option you might bite the bullet down the line a little but I don't think it would be a devastating disaster for you. I don't think it would be a huge crazy problem or anything like that
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Simple: Don't remove it. It weighs little if it's empty, so leave it that way.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:38 AM   #9

Before doing it watch this youtube video on the subject
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:41 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Wow! Taught me enough to convince me never have a compost toilet!
JonAone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:31 AM   #11

Seriously!!! Watch the video that will cure your composting toilet thoughts.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:07 AM   #12

wow, thanks for posting that wild video!
I wouldn't have one of those for all the tea in China!!
Old 03-25-2018, 06:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly View Post
wow, thanks for posting that wild video!

I wouldn't have one of those for all the tea in China!!

BIG times 2!!!!!!
No Thanx!
Lovin2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin2Camp View Post
BIG times 2!!!!!!
No Thanx!
yea I would rather put ALL my time into finding water, finding dump stations, etc and use my time doing this part of it all then even think about trading my time to handle what this video told us...holy cow...I had NO idea it was that nasty to deal with a composting toilet............and what gets me is they are keeping it and are fine with it. takes all kinds I guess It boils down to how you want to deal with your bathroom mess in the end and wow, there is no way I would handle that composting toilet EVER in my life We just couldn't go there at all but I guess many can and will.

Tags
black tank, tank, toilet