Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2007, 02:50 AM   #1

Here in Texas hill country water is very uncertain. The water pressure is low and we have not needed a pressure reg yet. Recently with the 25-30 degree parks have lost water all together for several hours. My question. Can I fill my on board tank when I arrive at a park. Then hook up to 'city water' and when the water stops flowing just turn on my pump until the water returns? Then empty my on board when I leave. If so what steps are required?
thanks

Forest River Sierra 35'11" 5th
Flametheus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2007, 02:50 AM   #2

Here in Texas hill country water is very uncertain. The water pressure is low and we have not needed a pressure reg yet. Recently with the 25-30 degree parks have lost water all together for several hours. My question. Can I fill my on board tank when I arrive at a park. Then hook up to 'city water' and when the water stops flowing just turn on my pump until the water returns? Then empty my on board when I leave. If so what steps are required?
thanks

Forest River Sierra 35'11" 5th
Flametheus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:16 AM   #3

Yes you can do this. Just turn your pump on is all you have to do. One <span class="ev_code_RED">caution</span> though. If the water pressure comes back on in the park and you leave your pump on and pump your tank dry. You could mess up the pump.Hope I made it plain enough to understand.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by full-timer:
Yes you can do this. Just turn your pump on is all you have to do. One <span class="ev_code_RED">caution</span> though. If the water pressure comes back on in the park and you leave your pump on and pump your tank dry. You could mess up the pump.Hope I made it plain enough to understand.

Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We have done this several times when the park has lost water pressure. I usually try to have a little water in the tank for just such emergencies. One question though. Why would pressure coming back on in the park cause the pump to run the tank dry?
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:55 PM   #5

"Why would pressure coming back on in the park cause the pump to run the tank dry?"

This doesn't directly cause the pump to come on and run the tank dry. If the pump were left on after the park water comes back on, when you run a sink or shower, the pump will come on and draw its water from the tank. When the tank eventually runs dry, the pump runs dry. This is not good for the pump as it will continue to run because it can't build water pressure with no water in the tank and run till it burns out.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:27 PM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
I think the point is: Don't forget to turn your pump off when you get city water back.

Even if the city water is on, the pump will sense a drop in pressure when you turn on a faucet and run. Eventually it will pump the fresh water tank dry.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
paz

You guys must all have the quiet variable speed pumps. I always know when mine is on 'cause I can hear it. And if it's on, I monitor my tank levels. I thought it was something more complicated.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote