Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Converter question

Is a "55 Amp Electronic 12V Power Converter" (as stated in my rigs specs) just a cheap converter or is it a charger? I've been trying to absorb some info on solar, chargers, batteries, converters, generators, etc and I've come to the conclusion that at bare minimum, I should have a good charger (min 25A) with my on-board generator in order to keep my batteries up while boondocking. We mainly boondock and are used to a TT and a portable Yammy 2400i generator....but our power usages were pretty low. I'm sure that running the Yammy for "TV time/microwave time" in the old TT with a converter never topped the batteries. But with the extra goodies on the ClassA's we've become a little more power hungry, and I'd like to not have to run the genny more than a couple of hours a day.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dave,
Do you have the brand and model number for the converter?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I'll have to get it tonight....it's an 05 Safari Simba (Monaco) if that helps....
Old 02-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
OK...it says on it: Inteli-Power 9100 Model PD9160A
Old 02-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dave,
Go to RV Power Converter/Chargers and read about the 9100 series units. Go to Intelli-Power PD9160A 60A Electronic RV Converter/Charger and read about your specific model. It says your converter is for both powering the 12 VDC circuits and recharging your batteries.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Excellent news! Thanks Gary! Looks like I don't need to buy a charger, but adding the "Charge Wizard" looks like a good idea....
Old 02-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #7

Seems like you need the option of their charge wizard to have effective chargeing, and limit overchargeing.

I've been using Xantex Inveters/Chargers in my lost two motor homes (since 1995) (http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/53/p/1/pt/7/product.asp) Mine charges 4 house batteries starting at a chargeing rate of 100 amps. While boondocking I run my gererator about an hour a day. I also run the generator for the Microwave and the wife's hair dryer. We make coffee in the morning with a coffee maker that draws 1,000 watts (100 amps at 12 VDC) without the generator. Don't know if this is the solution for you, but it works for me.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
The PD9160 is an excellent converter - add the Charge Wizard and you're all set with boost, normal, float and desulfation modes.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Charge Wizard ordered. For 25 bucks or so it seems like a no-brainer.

Thanks again all.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMXDave View Post
Charge Wizard ordered. For 25 bucks or so it seems like a no-brainer.

Thanks again all.
Yep, PD built the Charge Wizard function into their next generation 92XX series converters.

Rusty
Old 02-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMXDave View Post
OK...it says on it: Inteli-Power 9100 Model PD9160A
Is it just a cheap converter or is it a good one.. Two answers

On the main box is a "Modular Jack" like a phone jack or a LAN jack. it has a plug in it.. Now there are two different plugs

If it is just a plug.. then it's just a cheap converter... But see note

but if it's a plug, with a cord, and a dongle, with a button and a light. THen it's one of the best converters made

Oh, The Note:

If it does not have teh dongle (Charge Wizard) you can add it. you remove a screw. remove the plug that's in it, plug in the wizard and replace the screw and suddenly your single stage converter becomes one of the best multi-stage converters on the market.

Takes almost as long to do as it did to type....

Oh, the wizard is not very expensive.

(The dongle is called a "Charge Wizard")
PD9105, PD9105G Charge Wizard
Old 03-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I have the Charge Wizard and an on-board battery desulfonator ordered.

Question: can I use the desulfonator with the "upgraded" IP9160 with Wizard? I'm assuming the Wizard isn't a desulfonator, but a 3 stage charger. (I can use the desulfonator on one of several other vehicles kicking around...so not a big deal if its not needed)
Old 03-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
The Charge Wizard provides 4 charging modes for the PD91XX - boost, normal, float and desulfation. See HERE.

I'm still running the original batteries in our rig using the Charge Wizard with the original equipment PD9180, so I haven't found a need for anything more.

Just my 2 cents' worth. YMMV.

Rusty
Old 03-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Rusty. Seems that the Wizard uses a 15min high voltage blast every 21 hrs to desulfate.