Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #1

Cottonwood, AZ Walmart

For those who keep a listing of the Walmarts that allow or don't allow overnighting, you may need to change your Cottonwood, AZ listing from ALLOW to DOES NOT ALLOW. Last year there was an altercation in the parking lot that resulted in the murder of a homeless individual that had been living in a car and panhandling patrons. The Cottonwood city council passed an ordinance prohibiting overnighting in parking lots and it's being enforced. For those looking for a place for an overnight or up to 2 weeks stay, 4.2 miles south of the WM on state route 260 there is a road called Thousand Trails road. This road goes through the Prescott National Forest land and allows boondocking for up to 2 weeks. No facilities though. Just pull off the road in a vacant area.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #2

And make sure you visit Out Of Africa.

mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #3

Sedona is just a short ride up the hill for some of most spectacular scenery in the country. Sedona also offers some first rate shopping and some nice quality dining at all price points and then you can visit Jerome, AZ an old ghost town that was built around the mining industry. Cottonwood is a nice base to see some of Arizona's best sight's and make some other nice day trips in a more moderate climate. Prescott, Flagstaff are easy destinations for some great day trips too, and the Out of Africa is wonderful (as mentioned) but make sure you go early since the animals are more active during cooler temperatures.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
For those who keep a listing of the Walmarts that allow or don't allow overnighting, you may need to change your Cottonwood, AZ listing from ALLOW to DOES NOT ALLOW. Last year there was an altercation in the parking lot that resulted in the murder of a homeless individual that had been living in a car and panhandling patrons. The Cottonwood city council passed an ordinance prohibiting overnighting in parking lots and it's being enforced. For those looking for a place for an overnight or up to 2 weeks stay, 4.2 miles south of the WM on state route 260 there is a road called Thousand Trails road. This road goes through the Prescott National Forest land and allows boondocking for up to 2 weeks. No facilities though. Just pull off the road in a vacant area.
I think 'murder of a homeless individual' is completely mis-stating what happened. A family of 8 was living out of a Chevy Suburban. When one of the family members got aggressive with a Walmart employee, they were asked to leave the lot and attacked the officers. In the melee, one of the family members was shot and killed. There are plenty of news stories and even a dash-cam video to show what happened.

Since that incident, the Walmart no longer allows overnighting in their lot. As mentioned, there are a ton of places to boondock in the area off of the main roads. Your best bet is to scope them out first to make sure your rig will be OK on the forest roads.

There is also a Home Depot nearby that I've seen RV's in. I don't know if they allow overnighting there or not.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
I think 'murder of a homeless individual' is completely mis-stating what happened. A family of 8 was living out of a Chevy Suburban. When one of the family members got aggressive with a Walmart employee, they were asked to leave the lot and attacked the officers. In the melee, one of the family members was shot and killed. There are plenty of news stories and even a dash-cam video to show what happened.

Since that incident, the Walmart no longer allows overnighting in their lot. As mentioned, there are a ton of places to boondock in the area off of the main roads. Your best bet is to scope them out first to make sure your rig will be OK on the forest roads.

There is also a Home Depot nearby that I've seen RV's in. I don't know if they allow overnighting there or not.
Sorry, looks like I might have gotten some of the details wrong. My point was--- No more overnights in Cottonwood Walmart. Since it's a posted city ordinance I do not think the local PD will allow overnights anywhere in town. There are other options in the area.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Sorry, looks like I might have gotten some of the details wrong. My point was--- No more overnights in Cottonwood Walmart. Since it's a posted city ordinance I do not think the local PD will allow overnights anywhere in town. There are other options in the area.
No worries - I wasn't sure if this was one of those 'crazy outta control cops murder innocent disabled vet panhandler while he was saving a litter of puppies' type of things

I think the ordinance has been around for a while. Since Walmart changed the rules, I've seen a few RV's at the HD at closing time but I haven't checked to see if they spend the night. Walmart's lot is empty, which is a shame. The boondocking spots are great if you can get to them (conditions change depending on the rains) but when you've been on the road a long time you don't always want to spend the time to find an appropriate spot in the wilderness.

In Camp Verde at the I-17 interchange there are gas station parking lots that you can probably overnight in. I haven't looked into it to verify - too close to home to bother!
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A stabbing of a homeless person by another homeless person caused the Meridian and Boise Wal-Marts to post "no overnight parking" as well.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #8
MPH

Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
Quote:
I know it's been a while since you posted this, but we're needing a place to boondock with our old coach (2000 Discovery) and our new coach (2004 Tiffin Allegro Bus QDP), which we pick up in Phoenix on 5/4. We need to park them side by side with entrance doors facing each other so we can more easily move stuff from the old coach to the new one. Would the place you're talking about allow us to do that? We don't need 2 weeks there, maybe just 5 days or a week.

Also, do forest service rangers come by and check you "in" on dispersed camping land? How do they know if you've been there 2 weeks or 2 days?

Thanks,

Mel
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
I know it's been a while since you posted this, but we're needing a place to boondock with our old coach (2000 Discovery) and our new coach (2004 Tiffin Allegro Bus QDP), which we pick up in Phoenix on 5/4. We need to park them side by side with entrance doors facing each other so we can more easily move stuff from the old coach to the new one. Would the place you're talking about allow us to do that? We don't need 2 weeks there, maybe just 5 days or a week.

Also, do forest service rangers come by and check you "in" on dispersed camping land? How do they know if you've been there 2 weeks or 2 days?

Thanks,

Mel

I've seen it, Mel. 2 of our "crew" stayed there. Lots of room. Can't answer on the ranger part

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post

Thanks,

Mel
We were there for 3 days and no one stopped by to check us in or anything. A Ranger may have driven by, but we never saw any. There's a number of areas in there that would be suitable, but probably the best is the large lot closest to 260. Once you are past the wire stock fence at the edge of 260 you are in Prescott Forest area and anyplace is OK. Plenty of room to turn around and also to place your rigs door to door, nose to tail or any way that suites you. We found the traffic on 260 drops way off in the evening and night so we were never bothered by road noise.

Best of luck with the new rig.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:10 PM   #11

MPH general rule of thumb is "we got here this morning" but in your case you won't overstay the 14 days anyway so it doesn't matter.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 05-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #12

Prescott

If you go to Prescott watch out for the police. It is well known they look for out of state plates. Get too close to a line and get a ticket.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I drove through Prescott, Cottonwood, Sedona, etc., on a pleasure drive yesterday. Talked to a few people. Drove through the parking lot of the Walmart in CW. There were beggars at each parking lot exit, just like everywhere else I've been.

Talked to a few folks. Most seemed to have a chip on their shoulder. Not very friendly. Nearly got in a fight with a fellow in Flagstaff for having out-of-state plates and letting the woman he was with go through the door ahead of me while I held it.

It seems that since places don't want tourism and folks from other places, like me, coming to spend their money there, I could oblige those desires. I might encourage others to not go there, too.

Shame, really. It's not hard to be friendly and welcoming and still have tight rules against things like overnight parking in big box store parking lots. (sigh)