Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Courtesy and etiquette

I have always been the type of guy that tries not to do anything while camping, whether boondocking or in a campground. I try not to run the generator into the evening and especially after dark. I figure people are out to enjoy nature, fresh air and sounds.

I have noticed more and more people will start the generator at any hour with no regard. Sitting around a campfire at 10 pm, boom there fires a generator. Middle of the night same thing.

Is there any courtesy left in this world? I will learn to live with things as they are and continue to have the etiquette to know what quiet times should be.

I can understand overnighting in a parking lot is different. I don't expect quiet in that situation. This is not boondocking by the way.

Sorry bit of a rant.
MikeyRVNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #2

Funny you mentioned that... last time at a close quarters campground I was even hesitant about leaving the hot water heater on at night because I did not want to wake the neighbors sleeping in a pop up... wife thought I was crazy but o well....
Adamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We try to be quiet after hours and find most others do as well. However there are exceptions - most often encountered with holiday weekend crowds...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If a generator fires up after posted quiet time, then I will ask them to shut it off. If they don't, then I will inform the ranger/camp host.

Boondocking with no official rules? I'll still ask them to shut it down after 10.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
People that have their genny programmed can have it come on
at 2 in the morning. I do not program mine just for that reason.
I feel that I can look at my battery level before it is too late.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:59 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As soon as you start to have expectations of others, that is when you become disappointed.

I bought a big package of earplugs. I wear them when I go to bed because the cars driving in and out of the RV park where I am right now will wake me up, and the birds getting excited about the new morning long before the sun rises will wake me up too.

Good ear plugs are almost as expensive than cheap ammo, but it isn't against the law to use them for my neighbors.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyRVNW View Post
I...
Is there any courtesy left in this world? ...
Not really. Different world altogether than what many of us grew up in. And if you question that person doing something you do not consider being the "right thing to do" well, you become the bad person. You all of a sudden become inconsiderate of others actions and feelings.
It's crazy. I try and bite my tongue all the time and keep to myself. It's just easier than being attacked for silly stuff.
It's the world we now live in unfortunately.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Not really. Different world altogether than what many of us grew up in. And if you question that person doing something you do not consider being the "right thing to do" well, you become the bad person. You all of a sudden become inconsiderate of others actions and feelings.
It's crazy. I try and bite my tongue all the time and keep to myself. It's just easier than being attacked for silly stuff.
It's the world we now live in unfortunately.
True statement... never know when someone is off there meds and it escalates.....
Adamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Agree, people today seem to feel their "rights" trump common courtesy and when someone complains the complainer is the bad one? Hence why not many of us complain and tolerate bad behaviour, just not worth the hassle.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #10

99.9% of our camping experiences have been great. No issues with neighbors.
Only once have we had someone cut through our campsite, repeatedly.
We advised them of proper camping etiquette, which apparently ticked off the mom but she went around.
The next time her kids cut through our site, our 2 large loud barking Labradors along with our friends large loud barking Labrador (all on leashes), solved the issue.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I think that most RVers are courteous. However, there is always the exception to the rule and makes things miserable. Loud music at night, running their generator and have a campfire that resembles a bonfire. They just don't think about others.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #12

Once had a Sheltie that didn't take kindly to strangers. Kid came through our site, saw her, and said "Ooh, Lassie." Wife said "No, Cudjoe." About that time Cudjoe saw said kid and charged. We always kept her on a short leash just because of that. Never saw that kid again.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #13

What I find odd are those that pull in next to you when the campground is empty.
totaldla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
As soon as you start to have expectations of others, that is when you become disappointed.

I bought a big package of earplugs. I wear them when I go to bed because the cars driving in and out of the RV park where I am right now will wake me up, and the birds getting excited about the new morning long before the sun rises will wake me up too.

Good ear plugs are almost as expensive than cheap ammo, but it isn't against the law to use them for my neighbors.

Glad I wasn't swallowing my coffee when I read this. Very funny.
Smidge is offline   Reply With Quote