Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Murf2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Near Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,842
Unless you're going to b someplace where it's either prohibited or impractical, I;d have to say a small cheapo (not open frame) generator from Wally World would be an easier solution.

For under $400 you can get a 800 or 1,000 watt generator that will charge the batteries back up.

I bought one recently to extend the batteries while the m/h is parked at airshows and such. The on-board 4k Onan takes 1/2 gal. / hour, the little one will run 8 hours on 1 gallon.

At $370 to buy, I figure if I run it instead of the Onan for just two weekends it will be free.
__________________

__________________
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Buxton, North Dakota
Posts: 3,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Unless you're going to b someplace where it's either prohibited or impractical, I;d have to say a small cheapo (not open frame) generator from Wally World would be an easier solution.

For under $400 you can get a 800 or 1,000 watt generator that will charge the batteries back up.

I bought one recently to extend the batteries while the m/h is parked at airshows and such. The on-board 4k Onan takes 1/2 gal. / hour, the little one will run 8 hours on 1 gallon.

At $370 to buy, I figure if I run it instead of the Onan for just two weekends it will be free.
I think your math is a little flawed. If you count the weekend as 48 hrs, the Onan would take 24 gallons at about $4/gal, $96. The new gen would take 6 gallons or $24. A difference of $72/weekend. It would take mor like 5 weekends to pay off. That is if you use it 24hrs/day, a lot longer if you only used it 8hrs/day or less.
__________________

__________________
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53/ V10 605 watts of Solar
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C Handicap Equipped
F53/V10
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
Registered User
 
wincrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Greer, SC
Posts: 670
I have a Yamaha 2000 that I can bring if I need to run the AC. I generally don't use the microwave or use a coffee maker. All my lights are LED. So we are talking running the fridge on gas, using the stovetop on gas, waterheater on gas and watching alittle LCD TV or listening to the radio.

The big if is if I need to use the furnace or not - that blower can use some juice. So in mild weather, I might not need much power at all. So I'll go out a few weekends and see how far I get.

But FWIW, I can't imagine using one of those cheapo generators. The noise is quite rude and just goes against everything you are trying to experience boondocking. It's not about saving bucks, it's about finding your zen.
__________________
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 2,454
You should be good in the 19UL with your set up. Even in cool weather your battery should cycle the furnace and blower on and off as needed all night with a little juice to spare. Just run the generator to charge the battery back up in the morning. Make coffee and use the micro wave while the generator is running.
__________________
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Murf2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Near Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I think your math is a little flawed. If you count the weekend as 48 hrs, the Onan would take 24 gallons at about $4/gal, $96. The new gen would take 6 gallons or $24. A difference of $72/weekend. It would take mor like 5 weekends to pay off. That is if you use it 24hrs/day, a lot longer if you only used it 8hrs/day or less.


My apologies, at first I was going to say 2 weeks, then thought, no 5 weekends. I changed 'weeks' to 'weekends' but didn't change 2 to a 5.

Meh, it's cheaper, that's what counts.
__________________
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Murf2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Near Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
But FWIW, I can't imagine using one of those cheapo generators. The noise is quite rude and just goes against everything you are trying to experience boondocking. It's not about saving bucks, it's about finding your zen.
I wasn't (and mentioned so) referring to an open frame genset.

The one I got is barely noisier than my buddy's Honda EUi 1,000 is, we've run them side by side. You have to concentrate to notice a difference, well other than the $500 price difference that is.
__________________
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Shadowcatche's Avatar
 
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,218
Our Progressive Dynamics does fine with our 150AH Lifeline battery (I consulted a Lifeline /Concorde engineer). The Life Line can be in any position and function properly, they can also be used inside with reasonable safety.
__________________

__________________
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.