Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

Crazy battery ideas

I'm setting up my Vantage 19UL for boondocking.

I have room on the tongue for two 24 series batteries. My thought is to use 2 6v batteries wired in series. I know how to wire this. Using Trojan 145's, I'd have 260 AH @ 12v. Easy peasy.

Now the hard part. I have 2 nearly new 27 series Trojan 225 12v batteries from my old trailer. Wired in parallel, they are good for 260 AH. They won't fit on the tongue. I do have a big area underneath the front sofa. My thought is to put these batteries under there, along with my inverter. Question is, is it safe to put these batteries inside? How would I wire these two banks together so the interior batteries would get charged either when I plug into shore power or my generator (yamaha) as well as get all this battery power to my inverter?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Wincrasher...batteries should not be in the living area they must be vented to the out side as they give off H2 gas and could cause a fire . They also can cause a lot of rust and corrosion. So if this is the only place for them make a box for them that is vented to the out side to be safe.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bad Idea

Old VWs had the battery under the rear seat. They also were pretty air tight. Bad combination. I've never heard of one going bang but I've sure smelled 'battery tang'. It's only a tad less stinky than burnt oil from the heat exchangers. They also had a tendancy to eat through the sheet metal floor and fall out.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #4

OK.

Would AGM style batteries be OK to put inside? Think these are completely sealed - not sure. The Trojan AGM is a 6V, 200 AH battery.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #5

if you've ever cleaned up after a battery has gone boom you know why it's a bad choice. looking at a vantage similar to yours it looks like the tongue will take 2 batteries. if you need more why not mount 2 more on top of the first two ?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #6

With the battery watering systems they sell nowdays you can mount them underneath and still add water etc. I've done it on both if my Motorhomes. This is a picture off Class B I just added a battery underneath . To keep clean I buy NAPA battery terminal cleaner and protector. Even tho I can't see the post I flood the top with the foam cleaner, wash off and spray the protector. Same thing has been on my Bounder for about 10 years with no problems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1478468026.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	34122
Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I put No-Ox on my 6v battery terminals when I installed them 11 months ago. There has been zero corrosion. Bought it at Home Depot.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #8

While using an AGM type of battery inside the unit would be safer, it would not be a good idea to do without installing a completely separate vented battery box for them. AGM's can off gas if improperly charged. The charging requirements is different for AGM's than it is for Wet Cells. You would more than likely need to upgrade your vehicles charging system to handle the AGM's and ensure your genset is capable of putting out what these batteries require. This being said you can not mix AGMs with Wet Cells or you will quickly ruin those expensive AGMs.

Why don't you try looking into 2 Wet Cells or AGMs with much higher amp hour ratings. Then you can leave them outside on the hitch (where they belong), although you may need to build a custom battery box to accommodate the larger sized batteries. And you will definitely have a heavier tongue weight which you will need to consider too.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #9

Most likely I will just proceed with the 2 trojan 145's on the tongue. I know of no other batteries with a higher AH than these, at 260 AH. I'd go with something else if someone knows of something higher rated.

My space is limited unless I rig up something underneath. Not keen on that idea. Probably 2 batteries is enough juice for my little trailer. I always have my Yamaha if I go on a longer trip.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #10

Big disappointment this AM. Two 6v won't fit on my tongue rack - too tall it hits the front cap. So I'm going to use my Trojan 225 which is good for 130ah. I could put in 2 group 24 batteries, but that isn't much more capacity for the extra weight. Is there a super capacity 12v out there? A group 31 probably would fit, but not sure more amp hours than what I already have.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #11

How did you make out with your battery set-up so far?

I did read that Ah rated batteries are usually (but not always) then just RC rated batteries. That you can come close to an approx. Ah rating by dividing the RC by 2.

So the group 29 battery that I was looking at had only a RC of 210 so roughly only 105Ah. But worse yet my group 24 battery has an RC of 140 so 70Ah. No wonder it does not run lights and other stuff plus the furnace blower all night.

Looks like I need to look at Trojan AGM batteries.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #12

I've had a few people mention to me that the converters in trailers don't charge AGM batteries properly and can damage them.

Don't know if that is true, but something to look into if you change from lead acid to AGM or gel cell.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
How did you make out with your battery set-up so far?

I did read that Ah rated batteries are usually (but not always) then just RC rated batteries. That you can come close to an approx. Ah rating by dividing the RC by 2.

So the group 29 battery that I was looking at had only a RC of 210 so roughly only 105Ah. But worse yet my group 24 battery has an RC of 140 so 70Ah. No wonder it does not run lights and other stuff plus the furnace blower all night.

Looks like I need to look at Trojan AGM batteries.
You won't get any more capacity out of the the AGM batteries, the Group 31 is only 100 amp/hr, the Group 27 only 89 amp/hr and the Group 24 only 76 amp/hr.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #14

KZ RV Club
Wincrasher, can you get a picture of where you want to mount the batteries?

A battery box is a simple fab job, so don't feel limited to what you currently have.

Here's an example of how I mount the batteries in my "play" truck. Mounting things on the tongue of a trailer is a lot simpler.

Now, I'm a fan of Optima's, but if you can get some basic measurements, I'm sure making a simple bolt-in battery tray wouldn't be an issue for your application.

Cumminalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery