Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:05 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Delay in power transfer

My motorhome has a 4000 Onan MicroQuiet generator and a solar package (320w with 1500w pure sine inverter). I have noticed that when I am using the inverter while watching Satellite TV, and decide to run the generator to recharge the batteries, everything is seamless and there is no interruption with my TV reception.

However, when I turn the generator off and the motorhome switches back to the inverter to supply power to the Satellite TV, there is a slight delay which causes the Satellite Receiver to reboot.

I am assuming this slight delay in the transfer of power is normal, but is annoying because the DirecTV receiver takes several minutes to go through its reboot process. Is there a workaround or something I can do to prevent the rebooting?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 01:57 AM   #2

Just by a small UPS to supply power to your satellite receiver. When you shut down your rig for storage just remember to turn off the UPS too. Since your haven't given the type or model number of your inverter this option should work. Ideally the inverter shouldn't hiccup when the generator shuts down. It should supply constant power from the 12 volts batteries.

-Brian

Old 03-29-2014, 02:00 AM   #3

I have the exact same circumstances as you mentioned. Mine involves a 7000 Onan and Xantrex modified sine wave inverter/charger. I just chalk it up to the cost of doing (RV) business. I am not aware of cost effective way around the reboot.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:30 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
I have the exact same circumstances as you mentioned. Mine involves a 7000 Onan and Xantrex modified sine wave inverter/charger. I just chalk it up to the cost of doing (RV) business. I am not aware of cost effective way around the reboot.
Thanks for the input. I agree...
Old 03-29-2014, 02:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowrv39 View Post
Just by a small UPS to supply power to your satellite receiver. When you shut down your rig for storage just remember to turn off the UPS too. Since your haven't given the type or model number of your inverter this option should work. Ideally the inverter shouldn't hiccup when the generator shuts down. It should supply constant power from the 12 volts batteries.

-Brian
Hi Brian,

A UPS is not really an option because I turn the inverter off at night when I go to bed to save battery power. The UPS would most likely be dead by the time I woke up in the morning.

Regarding your comment about supplying constant power from 12 volt batteries, respectfully, I do not think that is accurate. It is my understanding that when the generator starts, it takes control over the electrical system and bypasses the solar system's inverter/batteries. This allows the batteries to recharge quicker because they are not being used. When the generator stops, the transfer switch realizes the electrical system is not getting power and switches back to the inverter and batteries. Unfortunately, this process takes long enough to cause the DirecTV receiver to reboot. We are only talking about a split second, but it is long enough.

Thanks for the input.

John
Old 03-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This makes no sense to me. I thought as long as power was on it was on coming from the batteries and the input the batteries (shore solar gen)kept them going, but for sure we are STILL LEARNING.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
If you are talking free, I agree, but well under $100. CyberPower CP600LCD 600VA 340W UPS w LCD | eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Hi Brian,

A UPS is not really an option because I turn the inverter off at night when I go to bed to save battery power. The UPS would most likely be dead by the time I woke up in the morning.

John
You could wire the UPS and inverter together, or just remember to turn both off at night.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
This happens to me too. When the generator comes on, it doesn't output any power until it's got a clean sine output, so the inverter handles the switchover cleanly. Shutting down, the generator doesn't switch off until after it's started to spin down and the voltage is dropping, so it's not a clean switchover.

My solution is to turn off the breaker feeding the inverter before I shut down the generator. That allows the inverter to switch cleanly before the voltage drops. After the generator is off, I turn the breaker back on.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post

My motorhome has a 4000 Onan MicroQuiet generator and a solar package (320w with 1500w pure sine inverter). I have noticed that when I am using the inverter while watching Satellite TV, and decide to run the generator to recharge the batteries, everything is seamless and there is no interruption with my TV reception.

However, when I turn the generator off and the motorhome switches back to the inverter to supply power to the Satellite TV, there is a slight delay which causes the Satellite Receiver to reboot.

I am assuming this slight delay in the transfer of power is normal, but is annoying because the DirecTV receiver takes several minutes to go through its reboot process. Is there a workaround or something I can do to prevent the rebooting?

Thanks
Please post the brand and model of your inverter?

There have been some Monaco coach owners complaining of the same problem. A few have gone the UPS route but others have found that by reprogramming the inverter solved their problem. That's why I am asking for details on your inverter.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Please post the brand and model of your inverter?

There have been some Monaco coach owners complaining of the same problem. A few have gone the UPS route but others have found that by reprogramming the inverter solved their problem. That's why I am asking for details on your inverter.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Sorry... The whole system is by GoPower. It is the Weekender Package which includes the solar panels, transfer switch, controller, and 1500w inverter.

Mobile Power Systems and Solutions for RV, Utility, Fleet and Marine Application

Thanks
John
Old 03-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
John,

Thanks for the inverter information.

Sorry, I won't be able to help you with the inverter as most of the ones in the Monaco's that have had delay's were Magnum inverters.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you are talking free, I agree, but well under $100. CyberPower CP600LCD 600VA 340W UPS w LCD | eBay

You could wire the UPS and inverter together, or just remember to turn both off at night.
Good point... I guess I could just turn the UPS off. I'm so use to letting the UPS do its thing (at home), that it never dawned on me to turn it off. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use two transfer switches. The main one transfers between shore power and generator and the second one between the output of the main transfer switch and the inverter. When the inverter is on, it over rides the out put of the main transfer switch on the inverter powered circuits. The inverter powers the coild on the transfer switch relay and will stay in that position as long as the inverter is on. I just turn on the inverter and can then either have shore power or generator start and stop with out affecting satellite receiver and TV.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #14

Rossi6998,
I have been reading all of the threads to try and understand you issue. So her are the basics. In summary you have a generator, and a transfer switch which switches between shore power and the generator. After the transfer switch are the loads. You have the inverter. The inverter has an input of 120v ac via the transfer switch if the shore power or generator is connected. The inverter also has an input from the 12vdc house batteries. When 120 vac is available it will provide 120 vac in bypass mode to the load or it will invert power from the 12vdc batteries and convert that to a 120 vdc modified or true sine wave. This is normally how the inverter works. Now inverters will also charge the batteries also when connected to shore power or the generator is running. In your case you have solar panels and you must have a charge controller. The purpose of the charge controller is to receive voltage from the solar panels and convert the voltage to a known level. in your case its 12vdc. This is just the basics. The charge controller will charge the batteries when there is sufficient sun light to generate power. This is you system in a nut shell. Now that I have the basics out of the way. The charge controller is in parallel with the batteries. This is a separate system. I like to treat things as boxes. You can draw the systems in a block diagram. I want to focus on the inverter. Why does the inverter stop inverting when the the 120 vac is removed? In software logic this is an OR gate. The inverter should always be inverting unless its in bypass mode. Bypass just send the AC straight to the load. In normal mode the inverter is providing the modified of true sine wave. I am not sure which model you have.
To troubleshoot I would put an AC meter on the output of the inverter. The inverter should ouput 120 Vac. I would start the generator and monitor the voltage again. It should be steady. I would then stop the generator. You need to verify the voltage level again. Did it drop? If it did then the problem is with the inverter. Each model of inverters are different. I don't have a manual in front of me to give you more info. I would isolate the problem first then look at the manual to see if there is dip switch of other setting that will fix your drop out problem. Something is being sensed incorrectly.

Every system is different but the basics apply to all of them. 12vdc in to the inverter and 120 Vac out.

-Brian

Tags
power