Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #1

Dispersed Camping Area Report: Six Mile Lake, Chippewa Nat'l Forest, MN

Six Mile Lake is a Forest Service Dispersed Camping Area near Bena, MN

Turning my eyes for a moment from the keyboard of my iPad to glance out the window I'm captivated by the beauty of the late afternoon light filtering through the trees, some of which have begun changing into their autumn finery. My momentary glance out the window becomes an extended gaze.

Right now it's extraordinarily quiet here. The only sounds on this windless afternoon are those of some birds and my fingers' clickity-clack on the keyboard. It's a relaxing, peaceful place. I'm the only one here at the moment. A few fisherman have used the boat launch during the day which is maybe 100' from where I'm parked, and one couple drove thru the camping area in a blue pickup truck, perhaps just to have a look. Nobody else was camped here last night and it seems likely the same will be true tonight. Wait, there's another faint sound. I step outside to have a look and when I do I spot a couple red-headed woodpeckers squabbling on a nearby tree, but the sound I heard was the drone of a motorboat out on Six Mile Lake. It's stopped now. Perhaps they killed the engine in order to fish. I can hear them talking. I'm sure they're at least a quarter mile out on the lake. Full report on my blog RussOnTheRoad If you like it sign up for free email notifications of future posts. It's all free
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image109.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	74983  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #2

Russ

Does sound like our kind of place as we are primarily boondockers. Should be even more secluded in about two months!

Reed and Elaine

Old 09-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
Russ

Does sound like our kind of place as we are primarily boondockers. Should be even more secluded in about two months!

Reed and Elaine
In two months I'm not sure if it will be more secluded or snowed in. Ha ha. There are many resorts up dirt roads in this area. In speaking with one local I learned that most of them close up in the winter. I don't know if that is true for Cherney's which is right next to this dispersed camping location. This part of the country gets quite a bit of snow in the winter. I'd be surprised if Six Mile Lake road gets plowed.I doubt very much if the dispersed camping area gets any attention from snowplows. Now, if you're thinking about snow camping and going in by snowmobile…
Old 09-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #4

Snowed in was my thought. Used to cross-country (ski mountaineer) in NM and Colorado; alas, we are 74 and those days are something of the past.

Had never thought of MN before as a place to dispersed camp, but now we shall.

Reed and Elaine
Old 09-29-2014, 11:12 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
When my wife and I were younger, we went to a sled dog race in Bemidji, MN. We spent the night before in the back of our pickup with only a shell and two dogs, a Malamute and Norwegian Elk Hound German Shepherd cross, to keep us warm. It dropped down to -30 F overnight. It only got up to -10 F the next day. The sled dogs were happy as could be with their tongues hanging out and panting. There are a lot of places for dispersed camping in northern Minnesota. This time of year is perfect with all the autumn color.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping