Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2019, 10:47 PM   #29

Today's news:

https://q13fox.com/2019/09/17/grizzl...ntana-hunters/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2019, 09:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post

Scary events. I wonder if they were ambushed or just didn't have the bear spray handy.

Are humans part of a bears diet? Or do they just get territorial or what? I don't get the attacking part unless the bear is hungry or just a prick looking for trouble.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:16 PM   #31

It's September. The bears are packing in the calories for the winter, feeding almost around the clock. We humans are not at the top of the food chain.

It is scary, but it is also wonderful to see bears acting like bears. As long as they are not chewing on us.

In answer to your original question, it is fairly easy to find boondocking in the national forests. Download the Motor Vehicle Use Maps for each forest. Find the roads designated for boondocking. Use Google Earth to fly over those roads looking for established campsites.

But please don't abuse the 14 day limits, please don't dump trash, and please dispose of your gray water per the regulations governing each forest. Folks who do not respect the rules are causing the NFS to cut back on boondocking.

Thanks.
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post

But please don't abuse the 14 day limits, please don't dump trash, and please dispose of your gray water per the regulations governing each forest. Folks who do not respect the rules are causing the NFS to cut back on boondocking.

Thanks.

I don't need to be mothered. Nanny yourself, not me.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:28 PM   #33

Okay! Thanks for that clarification. Very helpful!
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #34

I've had the privilege to be born into a RV family in NW Montana and have camped and boondocked all over the state for over 66 years. I worry way more about the 2 legged critters than the 4 leg ones. Most of us who live here are more than willing to help you out or leave you alone. Be aware we jealously guard our rights to recreate on public land and expect you to follow all the unwritten rules. Don't set up your camp next to me when there are 1000s of other acres to camp on. Don't drive down roads with your RV until you have checked them out first. If you have to camp nearby, don't run your generator all damn night long so you can watch TV.

Be aware that it is much harder to find great boondocking than it was years ago. Many of the good sites receive heavy use and lots of folks don't respect the rules or the land. Just use your Boy Scout skills and you'll be welcomed.

Now the secret tip. Many of the small towns in the NW have community parks with free or cheap camping. Same with the local fairgrounds. If you don't see any signs, inquire at a local quickstop.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. Lion View Post
I don't need to be mothered. Nanny yourself, not me.
That's the problem with people today. They can't nanny themselves and they don't want to be nannied. It's all about me. To hell with the next guy.

That's why we need government and police and rangers...we can't behave ourselves.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
That's the problem with people today. They can't nanny themselves and they don't want to be nannied. It's all about me. To hell with the next guy.

That's why we need government and police and rangers...we can't behave ourselves.
Agreed.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:30 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Agreed.
Yep, what they ⬆ said !
Old 09-29-2019, 02:32 PM   #38

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The problem is the people who need to be baby sat arent the ones on these web sites..
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, montana