RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #1

Dispersed Camping in Montana?

I'm looking to travel to Montana to camp outside of designated camping areas within the National Forest and away from people.

I know that stopping by the Ranger station within my target area would be the way to go, but I'm hundreds of miles from there and don't want to travel up there if they are strict with stay limits like California and some other states.

I haven't been camping there, does anyone have experience to share on dispersed camping in the Montana NF?

Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginomad View Post
I'm looking to travel to Montana to camp outside of designated camping areas within the National Forest and away from people.

I know that stopping by the Ranger station within my target area would be the way to go, but I'm hundreds of miles from there and don't want to travel up there if they are strict.

I haven't been camping there, does anyone have experience to share on dispersed camping in the Montana NF?
Huh...
Yes they have rules to protect our NF and they enforce them.
They also have BEARS and they enforce themselves.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/cus...=5566&actid=34

Offfishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offfishn View Post
Huh...
Apparently the post wasn't too hard to understand
Old 08-04-2019, 02:54 PM   #4

Pick a national forest you're interested in and give them a call. Saves a drive. We always move when our tanks are full and explore a different area and that's usually 10-14 days. Never a problem with that time period.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginomad View Post

I know that stopping by the Ranger station within my target area would be the way to go, but I'm hundreds of miles from there and don't want to travel up there if they are strict with stay limits like California and some other states.

Keep us updated when you go to Montana. I am VERY interested in doing a year or two when I get to that state.
Pyropete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:50 AM   #6

Montana boondocking

That is what we are doing right now near Missoula (40 miles). Worked our way from SE to NW taking about a month. We have had no trouble finding plenty of dispersed areas to camp but the limiting factor is the size of you vehicle and how far down gravel roads you want to travel. Also you will generally have no phone or cell service. The plus is the fantastic scenery and the weather has been perfect in July and August. We have stayed at numerous fishing accesses that have small campgrounds, no charge and vault toilet. Used allstays and Freecamesites.com to locate spots. We donít stay at state campgrounds due to cost and crowding.
Traveling in a 37í MH and pickup.
Luckybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybreak View Post
That is what we are doing right now near Missoula (40 miles). Worked our way from SE to NW taking about a month. We have had no trouble finding plenty of dispersed areas to camp but the limiting factor is the size of you vehicle and how far down gravel roads you want to travel. Also you will generally have no phone or cell service. The plus is the fantastic scenery and the weather has been perfect in July and August. We have stayed at numerous fishing accesses that have small campgrounds, no charge and vault toilet. Used allstays and Freecamesites.com to locate spots. We donít stay at state campgrounds due to cost and crowding.
That sounds flipping awesome. I cannot wait until the day I retire. 4.5-8.5 years from now.. Immediately buying 5'er and going to Nevada, NM, AZ, MT, ID, ND, SD, WY, CO... Figure spend a couple years in each state exploring everything they have to offer. Would love to do a winter in the high desert of NV. I used to live in Carson and because there is no shade the snow doesn't stay for more than a week or two. Not to mention it gets COOOOOOLD at night at the higher elevations in the mountains behind and to the north of Carson City. Talking negative temps. I LOVE the cold weather (whiteboy genes). My body was genetically engineered for the cold. Living in Sacramento most my life is too damn hot.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyropete View Post
Would love to do a winter in the high desert of NV. I used to live in Carson and because there is no shade the snow doesn't stay for more than a week or two. Not to mention it gets COOOOOOLD at night at the higher elevations in the mountains behind and to the north of Carson City. Talking negative temps.
RVing in cold temps is not fun. You had better plan on a RV made for cold and then add more precautions to it. You have to think of the pipes and holding tanks freezing and having a commercial propane tank if spending a good deal of time in one place. You'll have to leave all the cuphard doors open so things can 'breathe'. Windows will get iced over just from your breathing as will your mattress. It's not easy to do.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
RVing in cold temps is not fun. You had better plan on a RV made for cold and then add more precautions to it. You have to think of the pipes and holding tanks freezing and having a commercial propane tank if spending a good deal of time in one place. You'll have to leave all the cuphard doors open so things can 'breathe'. Windows will get iced over just from your breathing as will your mattress. It's not easy to do.
Oh definitely. I wouldn't be crazy enough not to have some fuel and space heaters. Most cold place I have lived in was Carson City. Gets to about 10 degrees F to -10 F in the winter there. I would definitely have propane just in case.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybreak View Post
Sounds nice. When I traveled from Nebraska to Washington, I drove through the Northern section. Such a beautiful place. Just amazing. I didn't have cell signal most of the time and if I did pick up any signal it was 1x.

Are you on Verizon? I may hold off going up there until I get HueghesNet since I need internet.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #11

Yes Verizon
Luckybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #12

Invest in bear spray and have a .44cal or larger pistol on your person. Grizzlies and mountain lions are a legitimate threat to humans out here in NW MT. Make sure you are ďbear awareĒ and read up on how to stay safe in grizz country.
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #13
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyropete View Post
That sounds flipping awesome. I cannot wait until the day I retire. 4.5-8.5 years from now.. Immediately buying 5'er and going to Nevada, NM, AZ, MT, ID, ND, SD, WY, CO... Figure spend a couple years in each state exploring everything they have to offer. Would love to do a winter in the high desert of NV. I used to live in Carson and because there is no shade the snow doesn't stay for more than a week or two. Not to mention it gets COOOOOOLD at night at the higher elevations in the mountains behind and to the north of Carson City. Talking negative temps. I LOVE the cold weather (whiteboy genes). My body was genetically engineered for the cold. Living in Sacramento most my life is too damn hot.
Personally, I think itís wiser to travel with the seasons. Even the best RVs arenít designed to be in freezing weather for long periods. And youíll spend big bucks on fuel just trying to keep everything from freezing.

For cool summers I suggest you consider the Pacific Northwest. Iíll just north of Seattle. Today's high temp is 70*
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:43 AM   #14

I live in Columbia Falls, MT.
Lots of places for dry camping. Find a place and go for it. A lot of the tourist crowds are leaving now. Our August weather has been completely awesome this year, and very little forest fire smoke. I own a Barbershop in Columbia Falls. "K-2's Barbershop".. Come in and say HI...

Be safe, Barber

Barber123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, montana