Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #1

Does a rustic seasonal site make sense?

Hello,
I recently bought a new Coachman Catalina 223FB. My wife and I have decided to get a seasonal site. We have looked at most of the local campgrounds without much success. We have found one site we liked it is in the woods on top of a hill overlooking a pond. It's a pretty large site but there are no hookups. We have a Honda 3000 watt generator, two group 27 12 volt batteries, propane tanks for hot water, refrigerator and there is a water about a 1/4 mile away. They have a honey wagon service that runs twice a week. Does it make sense to have a seasonal site that has no hookups? I would like to hear from people that have tried this and what their experiences were. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
For those that really like being off the grid it sound like it would make a great location.

Once I am setup for a season, I do not like to move at all. That's just me.

If you have any creativity you could come up with a plan to isolate the generator noise and also a way to transport fresh water from a local supplier to your coach and then pump it into your holding tank. Or since you have a honey wagon service available possibly there would be a local water hauler that would deliver water every so often.

Just not from the same honey wagon truck!

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 08-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Congrats on the new rig. As far as the site, I'd prefer hooks up, but it's your call. Hope it's not like some time share deals, I'd warn against it if it were. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a great site to me, just exactly what I would like. We spend 3 months in the winter in Arizona on BLM LTVAs (Long Term Visitor Area) The LTVAs provide a dump site, fresh water and dumptsters for garbage. We camp from one to three miles from the services and carry water to our site and garbage and waste from our site. We use a blue waste tote and 7 gallon water containers. We haul the waste every 7 to 10 days with the Jeep.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #5

It seems that if you want utilities that you have neighbors that are pretty close. I live in a pretty rural area. I don't want to go camping where I have more nieghbors than where I live everyday. I looked at a camp site today where they had them stacked like cord wood! I'm not into that. Glad to see another Jeep guy here I also have a 99 Cherokee it's our fourth one :-)
Old 08-02-2014, 11:12 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have never really figured out why people go to campgrounds to park between neighbors 6' on either side and pay more than it would cost to rent an apartment with all the amenities and provide every thing besides. I love boondocking with peace and quiet and beautiful views that i don't have at home.

I also love the Cherokee, seems like the perfect towed to me. Will buy a spare before low mileage ones are hard to find.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:54 AM   #7

We love camping "off the grid" and this sounds like a great place. We have never tried a seasonal spot because we go to a lot of different places. The honey wagon would be great so you didn't have to pack up to dump. I agree with a previous poster that you could find some way to haul your water without moving your rig.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #8

It sounds good to me. Just add solar and enjoy the peace and quiet.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #9

Where is this rustic site? Sounds like a good spot.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #10

Why go to the trouble of buying a holiday home that you can take to all kinds of interesting places in this great country and then tie it down in one place? If you're really keen on the area, buy a holiday home or sell your present house and move.

Being able to travel around the whole country is what attracted us to RVing. We rarely stay more than one night at a particular CG (unless we have laundry to do). Our average daily mileage is probably around 150, so we're not covering the entire 50 states in 3 days!

Unfortunately, the escalating cost of CG overnight stays and of gasoline for our 8-mpg vehicle are running us out of the hobby. When we started out, private CG fees were aroound $20, State Parks were $15 and gas was $1.50.

The MH will be on the market in September.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin_ny View Post
Hello,
Does it make sense to have a seasonal site that has no hookups? I would like to hear from people that have tried this and what their experiences were. Thanks
Unfortunately, can not tell you what make sense for you. Move around vs staying put and off the grid vs hook ups are decisions only you can make. The good news is, if you try the seasonal site and then have interests elsewhere, you are on wheels.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #12

Everyone is different, thank goodness.
We have the travel itch. Being in one spot more than a month is difficult. There is a lot of nifty outdoor wallpaper just waiting to be discovered!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #13

I really only have weekends off so i would probably only be there Friday through Monday. buying gas is too expensive for me for extensive travel. As far as buying a place. I wouldn't be able to buy a camp or house for what i paid for the New TT. Thanks all keep them rolling in!

Tags
rust